Has Pitino lost the current players?

Reaction score
I dont know what these guys are doing tonight, but it sure is not any type of basketball that I have ever seen....I really hope he recruits some talent to play his system or it is going to be a short tenure.

I have to say that knew starting lineup was one of the more brilliant displays of basketball coaching I've seen.

No joke, Buggs and Elliot!!! All stars!! Only started off down 10-2.

I mentioned in the game thread but I'm very concerned that many of the guys in their second year in Pitino's system are playing worse than in their first year. Offensively at least, Mason and Morris, have played better than Hollins and Mathieu most of the year.

I will give him a full four years before I decide if he needs to go.

The impatience some people have is alarming.

I agree. There has been no consistency in the program or roster for 2.5 years. I don't want to judge player trends until some sort of system is set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team should have stayed in he half time pep talk. I think this is going to be the worst year Pitino will have as a coach. Learning experience for everyone. The seniors don't fit his style and most good coaches fit their system to the players, not visa versa. The next 2 years will see improvement and a tournament run in 2017.

Who has said he should be fired?

I'm not sure how anyone can not be concerned right now. At the very least, this team should be just as good as last year. No reason to regress this badly.

I'm not sure how anyone can not be concerned right now. At the very least, this team should be just as good as last year. No reason to regress this badly.

Agreed. There's a difference between being alarmed and calling for his head. I'm alarmed. He still gets next year and probably the one after.

thank you....not calling for his job...but even the most die hard fan has to be alarmed how much they have regressed from last year..... minus one player

have to let coach get his kids in here. The real class begins next year. We can't run his system with EE falling down all by himself, Mo dropping half of the balls thrown his way, King and Mathieu out of control and Hollins shooting 0-8 at the half of every game...

have to let coach get his kids in here. The real class begins next year. We can't run his system with EE falling down all by himself, Mo dropping half of the balls thrown his way, King and Mathieu out of control and Hollins shooting 0-8 at the half of every game...

Right but it is okay to question why these things are happening. I don't think it's okay to just say "Well these aren't Pitino's players so we shouldn't expect much." There were a lot of returning players (and two good new contributors) from a team that almost went to the tourney last year.

I wish he could lose some of these players

I don't know what he's done to these players since last year, but whatever it is its a problem. This team is embarrassing right now, we keep hearing about how they are hungry for a win and fell like they are better than 0-5, but if they felt that way, maybe they should start by exerting solid effort for 40 minutes. Our seniors aren't going pro, so if this is the kind of crap they want to put on the court for their last season of competitive basketball, I guess that is their prerogative, but hopefully Pitino replaces them with some competitors.

I don't know what he's done to these players since last year, but whatever it is its a problem. This team is embarrassing right now, we keep hearing about how they are hungry for a win and fell like they are better than 0-5, but if they felt that way, maybe they should start by exerting solid effort for 40 minutes. Our seniors aren't going pro, so if this is the kind of crap they want to put on the court for their last season of competitive basketball, I guess that is their prerogative, but hopefully Pitino replaces them with some competitors.

I found it just incredible how little effort they put out on defense in that first half. They were just lifeless. This team has no guts. Mason and Morris are about it for wanting it. The rest of them...man I was just disgusted. At the Barn the fans just had nothing to do but sit back in amazement at the effort and complete lack of ability to make plays for the first 25 minutes. Even when they started to play harder -every rebound was an adventure. I guess they just need to go out and get that first win against Rutgers and begin the transition as the year goes on, to the younger guys Konate, Gaston and see what they have. Time for the staff to get out and recruit. Lots of playing time is available.

They didn't come out of halftime fired up. The effort to start the second half was every bit as bad as we saw for the first twenty minutes. Carlos Morris made a few baskets/free throws then Nate Mason got hot and in the process the crowd got in to the game. The Gophers energy level picked up only when it dawned on them that "holy **** we could actually win this game". We have to hope that the team just didn't respond to the lineup changes and was in a funk because of that. If the issue is bigger than that, expect to see another terrible effort against Rutgers. I think Pitino is a smart coach and am not calling on him to be fired or anything like that, but the first 27-30 minutes of this game reflected very poorly not only on the players but on him as a coach.

I hope I saw a change out there, the last 14 minutes they played like they wanted to and would win. Mason and Morris played without fear, I hope Hollins can gain something from their attitude, Mathieu started looking like he did last year towards the end. Hate to lose but some positive things happened, Iowa was a tough matchup because of their length.

Top Bottom