Washburn's Giovan Jenkins is joining Gophers as a volunteer assistant

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Pete Haugen was the coach when rashede was there. Jenkins was an assistant. Jenkins us a good dude he will help keep Jones head on straight

I have to wonder what's driving this.......

Jenkins recently got his masters in coaching from Ohio. Maybe this is just how he's moving up to the college level.

Jenkins recently got his masters in coaching from Ohio. Maybe this is just how he's moving up to the college level.

Jenkins was on Kare 11 briefly this evening at 10 and said that it had always been his dream to coach college football and coach kill was giving him an opportunity to get his foot in the door with his staff.

Good for Jenkins and I think this is a good move for both him and the Gophers.

Jenkins was on Kare 11 briefly this evening at 10 and said that it had always been his dream to coach college football and coach kill was giving him an opportunity to get his foot in the door with his staff.

+1. Thanks for the note.

I happen to love this move. It shows HS coaches how Kill rolls. It allows a good guy to advance his career goals. It brings another young, Black coach onto the staff. It builds goodwill in the City Conference. It adds a level of comfort for Jeff Jones. It further entrenches us at Washburn, who continues to have top players. It allows Washburn to tell city players that there's no need to move to the suburbs, that they will have every opportunity to be high profile and be recruited in the city. Really no down side to this, imo.

Per Shama:

"Giovan Jenkins, who played at Washburn and later became an assistant coach, is resigning as head football coach for the Minneapolis high school. In March he will become a volunteer assistant for the Gophers.

“I am very excited for the opportunity of a lifetime,” Jenkins told Sports Headliners. “It was a tough decision.”

During his 14 seasons as an assistant or head coach, the Millers compiled a 109-34 record. They won 13 city championships, appeared in six section playoff finals and one state tournament. Jenkins had many outstanding players on his team including Jeff Jones, a Rivals.com four-star recruit in 2014, who hopes to be the starting running back at Minnesota this fall.

Jenkins will continue his position as ninth grade dean of students at Washburn. Moving up into a college football role is something he’s thought about for years. “Leaving home is never easy,” Jenkins said. “I bleed orange and blue.”

With the Gophers Jenkins’ assignments are expected to include on-campus recruiting and analyzing game films. “It will be an opportunity to learn college football at the highest level from some of the best people in the business,” he said.

No announcement has been made about Jenkins’ successor at Washburn."

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Yep, I'm on board with this. Don't really see a downside except for the Millers

As several have said, there's no downside.

It shows Kill is a good citizen.

It shows a continued commitment to minority hiring.

It gives Jenkins a great opportunity. If he excels, I have no doubt they'll either bring him on as a paid coach or give him a fantastic reference for future job apps.

It puts the U in the driver's seat for recruiting at Washburn and strengthens their position in Minneapolis schools.

As several have said, there's no downside.

It shows Kill is a good citizen.

It shows a continued commitment to minority hiring.

It gives Jenkins a great opportunity. If he excels, I have no doubt they'll either bring him on as a paid coach or give him a fantastic reference for future job apps.

It puts the U in the driver's seat for recruiting at Washburn and strengthens their position in Minneapolis schools.

I agree with all of the above. Personally and selfishly, I wish he stayed at Washburn, but only for the reason that I want good high school men/coaches in the city conference. There is a lot of untouched potential that is in the conference that never makes it out. With that being said, I've met Jenkins 2-3 times and he is a great guy and very happy for him to follow his dream.

Good time to leave too with a resurgent Minneapolis north.

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach Jerry Kill made a great move when he welcomed Giovan Jenkins, who was the head coach at Minneapolis Washburn for six years, to be a volunteer coach helping with recruiting and defensive quality control. Jenkins coached defensive lineman Ra’Shede Hageman, transfer tight end Noah Scarver and running back Jeff Jones.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/300007601.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom