Wonder what the Gophers are thinking watching this game?

It's funny that some Gopher "fans" simply can't believe that we competed with OSU. They have to blame it on the weather, OSU turnovers, etc, etc. Here are the average temperatures in Columbus throughout the year. In case you don't want to click the link, it's on average about 10 degrees warmer than Minneapolis.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31170/Columbus-Ohio-United-States

It's funny to watch some Gopher "fans" fail to get their heads around the generally accepted fact that bad weather helps the underdog in football. It's not about our temp vs Columbus' temp. It's about a cold, snowy, or rainy field being slick and passing more of a challenge, which levels the playing field for the slower, less athletic team. Watch the lines in Las Vegas. When there's bad weather coming the line goes down, as does the total points scored. I'm not saying this to take away from the Gophers hanging tough that day, it's just a fact. Then, add in that we caught them on the second leg of back to back road games, ripe for a letdown, coming off what was essentially the division championship at Michigan St and we had a lot of things working in our favor that day. The final score, is the final score and I don't apologize for it, but if we played that game in a bowl scenario in Orlando, with a bye week for both teams, I don't believe we'd hang within 7 points of OSU. It's not much different than saying we beat a weak Michigan team. It's not an insult, it doesn't mean the win doesn't count. Same with Illinois. Do you think they just match up well with us and if we played them 10 times, they'd beat us 10 times? I happen to think we were the better team, but they caught us in a bad spot. That's football though and it's why we play the games.

Top Bottom