Jim Dutcher on Randy Breuer's upcoming jersey retirement: "Wouldn't miss it."

Now that Teague has opened the door to non-graduates getting their jersey in the rafters, is there anyone else that comes to mind who should be up there? Bobby Jackson and Voshon Lenard are two obvious ones IMO.

My point is that Minnesota hasn't had many great centers and Breuer, while fulfilling his role, was not great. The U can put his jersey up in the rafters as they wish, but Breu was/is clearly not an elite center in college basketball. He's a slightly above average player at the U who benefited from a coach who didn't have to guard against the 3 point shot and could sit in a 2-3 zone all game long. Breu benefited from those factors. He was not an elite athlete by any means. But...if he's the best that MN can offer...put his jersey up there. It doesn't really matter in the end who gets stuck up in the rafters.

How did you even figure out how to use a computer?

Now that Teague has opened the door to non-graduates getting their jersey in the rafters, is there anyone else that comes to mind who should be up there? Bobby Jackson and Voshon Lenard are two obvious ones IMO.

Teague may be more laid back than Maturi, but I don't think we'll ever see Jackson's jersey retired. I don't recall if Voshon was implicated in the scandal or not but Bobby was.

Teague may be more laid back than Maturi, but I don't think we'll ever see Jackson's jersey retired. I don't recall if Voshon was implicated in the scandal or not but Bobby was.

Voshon was implicated. Would be our all-time leading scorer if he hadn't. Vo is the Gophers' only 2,000-point career scorer, for those inclined to believe some of those games between 1991-95 weren't figments of their imagination.:p

Olberding, Olberding, Olberding...

67619-25-13Bk.jpg
:p

I remember State Tourney when upcoming Championhip game was Chisholm vs Melrose. That night before in the hotel a bunch of fans from both teams were having a blast together. One female Chishlom fan stood out...she yelled "We're gonna beat that Olberdink!!!"

Voshon was implicated. Would be our all-time leading scorer if he hadn't. Vo is the Gophers' only 2,000-point career scorer, for those inclined to believe some of those games between 1991-95 weren't figments of their imagination.:p

I realize Voshon and Bobby Jackson both were implicated (among many players) as possible beneficiaries in the academic scandal, but Mychal Thompson was more than implicated in a violation, he was directly responsible for the team having to vacate the 1976-77 season by illegally selling his season tickets. And yet he's in the rafters (and I have no problem with that).

People are still sensitive about the Clem years so maybe it'll take a little more time, but Lenard is our all time leading scorer and Jackson led us to our only final four in our history...it's obvious they both should eventually be in the rafters.

Willie Burton has to be up there next. He's the program's second leading scorer (in just 3 years), he was All-Big 10 every year he played, and led the team to two of its best seasons ever, with a Sweet 16 in 1989 and the Elite Eight team that was a basket away from the Final Four in 1990. I think guys should be required to have earned a degree to get this honor, but as long as Breuer has opened the door for non-graduates, Willie absolutely needs to be next.

I do wish the U would develop concrete criteria for what is required to have this honor. It's too important to have the process remain so random, and when you honor too many you ultimately honor none (and that is NOT a slam at Breu or anyone else).

Kevin McHale is one of the 50 greatest basketball players in history. What's your point?

Pretty sure McHale was also a Senior, about to be selected #3 in the NBA draft, while Breuer was just a true Freshman.

Stay on topic, Donny.

Give the Breu all the credit you wish to give him. I give him credit for being a serviceable big man in a system that played to his strength. Dutch was a smart enough coach to not make Breu have to play man-to-man defense and he got the ball to Breu down in the blocks during an era when there was no 3 point shot. Look at the Big Men that came out in the 1980s to play in the NBA. Would you say Breu was elite or serviceable? Breu did his thing. The U needs someone to put in the rafters. Might as well be ole flat foot.

Your argument that centers of that era aren't good players because they've since changed the rules is preposterous. He played by the rules of the day and dominated.

Serviceable or elite? Elite, duh! You don't lead your team to the B1G Championship, lead the team in scoring (20ppg), rebounding (9rpg), blocked shots (3bpg), plus make All-B1G two years in a row by just being "serviceable". If you look at those stat sheets Breuer led the team in every single category except assists with and steals, and even those categories he was 2nd and 3rd in respectively.

Willie Burton has to be up there next. He's the program's second leading scorer (in just 3 years), he was All-Big 10 every year he played, and led the team to two of its best seasons ever, with a Sweet 16 in 1989 and the Elite Eight team that was a basket away from the Final Four in 1990. I think guys should be required to have earned a degree to get this honor, but as long as Breuer has opened the door for non-graduates, Willie absolutely needs to be next.

I do wish the U would develop concrete criteria for what is required to have this honor. It's too important to have the process remain so random, and when you honor too many you ultimately honor none (and that is NOT a slam at Breu or anyone else).

I agree Willie Burton should be next. I'm also on board with Bobby Jackson. Like Breuer, they're both Gopher legends. Voshon is one rung below all these guys imo. Yes he scored and scored, but his teams consistently underperformed.

My point is that Minnesota hasn't had many great centers and Breuer, while fulfilling his role, was not great. The U can put his jersey up in the rafters as they wish, but Breu was/is clearly not an elite center in college basketball. He's a slightly above average player at the U who benefited from a coach who didn't have to guard against the 3 point shot and could sit in a 2-3 zone all game long. Breu benefited from those factors. He was not an elite athlete by any means. But...if he's the best that MN can offer...put his jersey up there. It doesn't really matter in the end who gets stuck up in the rafters.

He played 11 years in the NBA. You don't know what the "f" you're talking about. I saw every game Randy played as a Gopher. He defended well in both man to man and zone. He had some of the best hands I've ever seen on a true center.

Someone certainly needs a lot of attention! Please respond w/o quoting if you can. Thanks in advance. ;)

It will be a lot of fun to attend this today. It always brings a great energy to the barn when former great are honored!

Glad to see Brew going up. He should replace Tucker, who has no business hanging in the rafters. Brew was a 2-time first-team all Big Ten
selection, the only Gopher to do so since M. Thompson. Tucker never made first team all Big Ten.

Oh yeah, I forgot Burton wasn't up there yet. Definitely.

He played 11 years in the NBA. You don't know what the "f" you're talking about. I saw every game Randy played as a Gopher. He defended well in both man to man and zone. He had some of the best hands I've ever seen on a true center.

He played a few minutes per game as a backup center in an era where the center position had more value. He was serviceable. Put him up in the rafters!

How about we put Kris Humphrey up in the rafters as well. He's had a better NBA career than many former Gophers. He never got his degree, but obviously that's no biggie.

We can just admit it. The Gophers are a program that has generally produced average at best NBA talent, but its the best we've got to offer so put their jerseys up in the rafters for all to celebrate! Enjoy the celebration today, ruppert.

Glad to see Brew going up. He should replace Tucker, who has no business hanging in the rafters. Brew was a 2-time first-team all Big Ten
selection, the only Gopher to do so since M. Thompson. Tucker never made first team all Big Ten.

Tucker had more talent in his pinky finger than Breu had in his entire body. His career as a basketball player is exhibit A. Tuckers position actually required more skill than just standing on the block, catching a ball and tossing in a 3 foot hook shot. But hey, if you enjoyed ole flat foot, good for you.

Hey Tiny,

I hear all the crap you're spewing about how Randy only did well because of the players around him (Tucker, et al).

However, I'm not sure how that explains his senior season after they all left.

PPG:
- Junior year: 16.8
- Senior year: 20.4

RPG:
- Junior year: 7.2
- Senior year: 8.9

BTW, he's also a 73% career FT shooter in college. Not bad for a guy who only threw up 3-foot layins.

And you wanna knock his ability? How about all of the big guys that came before and after him that amounted to jack squat? He must've done something right to fare better than Lingenfelter and VanDenEide.

Hmm. Just watched the video. A lot of mid-range jumpers and hooks in there...

Glad the game is over. Now ole flat foot can go back to grouse hunting...

Glad the game is over. Now ole flat foot can go back to grouse hunting...[/QUOTE
Lou Hudson, Archie Clark, Ray Williams, Jim Peterson, Michael Thompson, Kevin McHale, Vashon Leonard, Randy Bruer, Mark Olberding, Trent Tucker, Whitey Skoog, Jim Brewer among others in the NBA. Pretty good list Tiney

Hey Tiny,

I hear all the crap you're spewing about how Randy only did well because of the players around him (Tucker, et al).

However, I'm not sure how that explains his senior season after they all left.

PPG:
- Junior year: 16.8
- Senior year: 20.4

RPG:
- Junior year: 7.2
- Senior year: 8.9

BTW, he's also a 73% career FT shooter in college. Not bad for a guy who only threw up 3-foot layins.

Was also 2nd on team in assists and 3rd in steals.

He played a few minutes per game as a backup center in an era where the center position had more value. He was serviceable. Put him up in the rafters!

How about we put Kris Humphrey up in the rafters as well. He's had a better NBA career than many former Gophers. He never got his degree, but obviously that's no biggie.

We can just admit it. The Gophers are a program that has generally produced average at best NBA talent, but its the best we've got to offer so put their jerseys up in the rafters for all to celebrate! Enjoy the celebration today, ruppert.

This statement may help explain your disconnect from reality. His 11 year NBA career was absolutely "serviceable". He was never voted to the NBA All-Star team multiple times, he never averaged 20+ a game in the NBA, he never averaged 9 boards a game in the NBA, etc. and that's why they're not hoisting his jersey into the rafters at the Target Center or wherever the Bucks play. He was a legend in college though, which is why his jersey is up there in Williams where it deserves to be.

Top Bottom