Jim Dutcher on Randy Breuer's upcoming jersey retirement: "Wouldn't miss it."

He played a few minutes per game as a backup center in an era where the center position had more value. He was serviceable. Put him up in the rafters!

How about we put Kris Humphrey up in the rafters as well. He's had a better NBA career than many former Gophers. He never got his degree, but obviously that's no biggie.

We can just admit it. The Gophers are a program that has generally produced average at best NBA talent, but its the best we've got to offer so put their jerseys up in the rafters for all to celebrate! Enjoy the celebration today, ruppert.

This statement may help explain your disconnect from reality. His 11 year NBA career was absolutely "serviceable". He was never voted to the NBA All-Star team multiple times, he never averaged 20+ a game in the NBA, he never averaged 9 boards a game in the NBA, etc. and that's why they're not hoisting his jersey into the rafters at the Target Center or wherever the Bucks play. He was a legend in college though, which is why his jersey is up there in Williams where it deserves to be.

This statement may help explain your disconnect from reality. His 11 year NBA career was absolutely "serviceable". He was never voted to the NBA All-Star team multiple times, he never averaged 20+ a game in the NBA, he never averaged 9 boards a game in the NBA, etc. and that's why they're not hoisting his jersey into the rafters at the Target Center or wherever the Bucks play. He was a legend in college though, which is why his jersey is up there in Williams where it deserves to be.

Brew was an awesome (and borderline dominant) college center; not sure how anyone who watched him wouldn't acknowledge that. I believe that he was also a 1st round NBA pick based in large part upon his last 2 college seasons

Glad to see Brew going up. He should replace Tucker, who has no business hanging in the rafters. Brew was a 2-time first-team all Big Ten
selection, the only Gopher to do so since M. Thompson. Tucker never made first team all Big Ten.

Incorrect on Tucker; lowest shooting percentage was 47.7% in his freshman year. That was his shooting percentage despite shooting from 3 point range many times before the 3 point era; imagine what his 14.8 junior and senior scoring averages would have been with a 3 point line. Also a 80% FT shooter. The NBA thought so little of him that he was the 6th overall pick in 1982

Though I recognize that reasonable people can disagree, I don't think that Tucker's NBA career should count at all in assessing how good a player he was in college, and whether he deserves to hang in the rafters at Williams. And in college, he was not good enough to make all Big Ten even once, unlike two of his teammates, Randy B and Daryl Mitchell, and unlike every other player whose jersey is retired. Some schools have standards for hanging in the rafters like National Player of the Year, or 2-time All American. I would think that Minnesota's standard should include being all conference at least one time.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wow, somebody has some real baking skills. I saw Dutcher down there today. He's looking really good and I think he's like 80 now. Also had a chance to chat quick with Randy and get an autograph. My dad had some good stories about Randy including him giving out his mom's cookies at Ember's when he was a freshman. I remember the games in 82 at Indiana (Big Breu with a backdoor cut and hoop late in the game) and the day we beat Iowa with Mitchell's free throws after time expired. It was an appropriately loud and awesome day at The Barn!

Tiny, you have some of the dumbest posts I have ever read.

Wow, somebody has some real baking skills. I saw Dutcher down there today. He's looking really good and I think he's like 80 now. Also had a chance to chat quick with Randy and get an autograph. My dad had some good stories about Randy including him giving out his mom's cookies at Ember's when he was a freshman. I remember the games in 82 at Indiana (Big Breu with a backdoor cut and hoop late in the game) and the day we beat Iowa with Mitchell's free throws after time expired. It was an appropriately loud and awesome day at The Barn!

Hmm. I have the same cookie story. Either he gave out cookies multiple times or you are Lou's Matt.

Glad the day is over. Breu can get back to grouse hunting or whatever it is he does now-a-days and we can get back to cheering for the present day Gophers.

I loved Pitino's comments that he didn't even know who Breu was and that he apparently played at the time when Pitino was born. Not a whole lot of ooh's and aah's from the present day coach. Looking at the players his dad has coached...it is understandable.

Time to carry on. Looking forward to seeing Kendall Shell's jersey in the rafters someday.

Glad the day is over. Breu can get back to grouse hunting or whatever it is he does now-a-days and we can get back to cheering for the present day Gophers.

I loved Pitino's comments that he didn't even know who Breu was and that he apparently played at the time when Pitino was born. Not a whole lot of ooh's and aah's from the present day coach. Looking at the players his dad has coached...it is understandable.

Time to carry on. Looking forward to seeing Kendall Shell's jersey in the rafters someday.

• On Randy Breuer. I'm young, I don't know when he played - I heard he was a great player, he's huge. I'm happy for him.
• Pitino: When did Breuer play? Media: 1982 Pitino: I was just born in 82. (Laughing)

I realize you're trying to format an argument that Breuer isn't among the great players that Rick Pitino has coached. You do understand this is about the Gophers? Did Breuer do something to you? Is it that he's from Lake City and not from up north? Strange how his being honored bothers you so.

Time to carry on.

I agree. I think I'll carry on by talking in length about March 6th, 1982 when the Gophers clinched their last official Big Ten title with a win over Ohio State at the barn.

From the official box score printout I stole from press row...autographed by Breuer (among others), I see:

Breu's line:
11-16 on field goals
10-10 on free throws
(that's 32 total points)
12 rebounds
1 foul
2 assists
1 turnover
2 blocks
2 steals
36 minutes played

Other players' lines that game...
Gary Holmes: 9 points and 3 rebounds in 30 minutes
Andy Thompson: 2 minutes
John Wiley: 6 points and 1 rebound in 26 minutes
Tucker: 23 points, 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers in 39 minutes
Mitchell: 6 points, 6 assists and 3 turnovers in 39 minutes
Petersen: 6 points, 4 rebounds and 4 turnovers in 12 minutes
Howell: 0 points in 10 minutes
Davis: 4 points in 4 minutes
Wohler: 1 point in 1 minute
Kelly Scott: DNP

Attendance: 17,378

Breu went up against Granville Waiters for most of the game.

Breu's scoring from the play-by-play:
- Breuer lay-up off loft pass from Holmes
- Breuer hook in the lane from Mitchell
- Breuer banks in short jumper from baseline
- Breuer 2 FT good, good
- Breuer 2 FT good, good
- Breuer slam dunk from under on inside pass by Mitchell
- Breuer 2 FT good, good
- Breuer slam dunk from under off pass by Mitchell
- Breuer short one-hander L of lane
- Breuer turn-around half-hook low off L side of lane
- Breuer 2 FT good, good
- Breuer short L baseline jumper from holmes loft pass
- Breuer tip-in of own missed shot
- Breuer given goaltending basket of Waiters
- Breuer turnaround banker just left of lane
- Breuer 2 1&1 FT good, good
- Minnesota wins first undisputed Big Ten title since 1972

Oh. Also. Randy did not start the game because it was senior day. Came in for Andy Thompson a little over 2 minutes into first half.

Shut up tiny

Next to GW, you're the most insufferable dick on GH.

I would have liked for them to include Dutcher in the ceremony.

Breu went up against Granville Waiters for most of the game.

An great performance although I'm impressed just a little less because Granville Waiters was actually 58 at the time. Or he at least looked like it.

It appears unless a player is a flashy athlete like Jordan they aren't a good player. Breuer was an excellent player. Two times all big ten. 1st round draft pick, 11 years in the nba. Just stop now tiny just about everyone else on the board knows you are wrong.

Didn't see Dutcher - was he there?

Coach Dutcher spoke to the Golden Dunkers before the game. He mentioned he is 82 now, he looked good and told a few good stories and carried himself like a much younger man. He said he was honored to be a part of Randy's day but it was really about Randy. He said he spends most of the winter in San Diego watching his son and the San Diego State team.

Hmm. I have the same cookie story. Either he gave out cookies multiple times or you are Lou's Matt.

Yes, you have heard the story. All the good ones are told many times comprising a Gopher saga of sorts. Sing to me O muse of the great Cazzie Russell and those great heroes that can shoot the hook shot...for many is the year that the champion has wandered, separated from his rightful (Big Ten) title.

Yes, you have heard the story. All the good ones are told many times comprising a Gopher saga of sorts. Sing to me O muse of the great Cazzie Russell and those great heroes that can shoot the hook shot...for many is the year that the champion has wandered, separated from his rightful (Big Ten) title.

No, I didn't HEAR it. I was there and had one of the cookies...right after your dad ate some of my Embers cherry pie.

No, I didn't HEAR it. I was there and had one of the cookies...right after your dad ate some of my Embers cherry pie.

Oh yeah, then we have the same guy for sure! Louie probably was throwing down one of his ragged newspaper coupons for the Emberger Royal combo that day, too. Hope you're doing well buddy! See you maybe at the Penn State game if I can't work my way in on the Wisconsin ticket.

I agree Willie Burton should be next. I'm also on board with Bobby Jackson. Like Breuer, they're both Gopher legends. Voshon is one rung below all these guys imo. Yes he scored and scored, but his teams consistently underperformed.

I believe voshon Lenard belongs in that group also. I am biased though cause he was one of my favorite players to watch. Don't know why he just was. I don't think his teams underperformed(unless you are talking Ncaa tournament wins)had to deal with great Purdue teams(Glenn Robinson), the fab five, and some great Indiana teams from what I recall.

Top Bottom