Jim Dutcher on Randy Breuer's upcoming jersey retirement: "Wouldn't miss it."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Jim Dutcher on Randy Breuer's upcoming jersey retirement: "Wouldn't miss it."

per Shooter:

Among those who'll be at Williams Arena on Jan. 24 when Randy Breuer's No. 45 Gophers basketball jersey is retired at the Illinois game is Jim Dutcher, 81, who coached four of the school's eight players whose uniforms will hang in the rafters of Williams Arena.

"Wouldn't miss it," said Dutcher, who coached Minnesota to its last Big Ten title, in 1982. "Randy's definitely deserving. We had good guard play with Darryl Mitchell and Trent Tucker, good forward play with Cookie Holmes and Zeb Howell, but Randy was the key, the guy we looked to in any tight situation."

Go Gophers!!

Good for Randy; one of my all time favorites. He apparently completed his degree. If I recall, his son was on here awhile back arguing that he shouldn't need to have a degree to get his jersey retired

Deserved honor for Breu. He was the centerpiece of the Gophers' second most recent Big Ten championship team. An outstanding Gopher career. Looking forward to being part of his standing O from the crowd.

BrewOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm confused. Tiny is on record (on several occasions) as saying that Breuer was "just an average player", despite being team MVP and a two time All-Big selection? Now we're raising his jersey into the rafters and Jim Dutcher says "Randy was the key. The guy we looked to in tough situations.". What gives?

I'm confused. Tiny is on record (on several occasions) as saying that Breuer was "just an average player", despite being team MVP and a two time All-Big selection? Now we're raising his jersey into the rafters and Jim Dutcher says "Randy was the key. The guy we looked to in tough situations.". What gives?

Dutcher is obviously mistaken.

Jock sniffing posers are idiots?

per Shooter:

Among those who'll be at Williams Arena on Jan. 24 when Randy Breuer's No. 45 Gophers basketball jersey is retired at the Illinois game is Jim Dutcher, 81, who coached four of the school's eight players whose uniforms will hang in the rafters of Williams Arena.

"Wouldn't miss it," said Dutcher, who coached Minnesota to its last Big Ten title, in 1982. "Randy's definitely deserving. We had good guard play with Darryl Mitchell and Trent Tucker, good forward play with Cookie Holmes and Zeb Howell, but Randy was the key, the guy we looked to in any tight situation."

Go Gophers!!

I like how the Dutch points out all the players around Breu. The Gophers are by no means Duke, Indiana or Kentucky so if the best we get is Breuer, then it'll have to do.

I'm glad to hear that he finally nickeled up and bought himself a diploma so he could have his jersey get dusty on the Williams arena ceiling.

Congrats to old flat foot!!!

Now to get Mark Olberding's jersey up there!!!

I like how the Dutch points out all the players around Breu. The Gophers are by no means Duke, Indiana or Kentucky so if the best we get is Breuer, then it'll have to do.

I'm glad to hear that he finally nickeled up and bought himself a diploma so he could have his jersey get dusty on the Williams arena ceiling.

Congrats to old flat foot!!!

Now to get Mark Olberding's jersey up there!!!

This is comedy gold.

Deserved honor for Breu. He was the centerpiece of the Gophers' second most recent Big Ten championship team. An outstanding Gopher career. Looking forward to being part of his standing O from the crowd.

Awesome! Definitely deserved more respect every where he played. Not a sexy, style points performer but very effective!
Station 19, I had pay to reload the clappers but I was able to get two on short notice. :clap::clap:

Looking for Courtney James to get his jersey up in the rafters now that anyone can do it... :p

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Breuer was a stud in high school and college.....well deserved

Breuer was a stud in high school and college.....well deserved

He played at the A level against kids half his size in high school. In college he was surrounded by talented players who allowed him to do the one thing he was good at...standing on the block and catching a pass while dropping in a 5 foot hook shot. He was good for the role he provided. I give him credit for doing his part and am thankful that there was no 3 point circle for him to have to defend. His Bozo feet would never have been able to deal with a kid like Kaminsky today. Heck, he got schooled by McHale everytime he McHale touched the ball. But...yeah...good for Breu...

Here's the press release:

Gophers to Retire Randy Breuer’s Jersey Saturday

​MINNEAPOLIS – Gopher great Randy Breuer will have his jersey retired at Saturday’s Minnesota-Illinois men’s basketball game, which begins at 1:15 p.m. at Williams Arena.

"We're extremely pleased to honor Randy in this way," said Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague. "Gopher fans love Randy and are so grateful to him for the passion and dedication he brought to the Gophers and the way he represented the University while he was here. This will be a day for all Gopher fans to celebrate Randy and all of his accomplishments."

The 7’3” Breuer, a member of the Gophers from 1979-1983, led the Maroon and Gold to a Big Ten Championship title in 1982. The Lake City, Minn., native was voted the team MVP in 1983 after leading the Gophers in scoring, rebounds and blocked shots for the third consecutive season. A two-time All-Big Ten first team selection, Breuer's name still reads in the Minnesota record books as he sits third on the All-Time Leading Scorers list with 1,777 points and second with 229 career blocks. He is one of only five Gophers all-time to record more than 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, and 150 blocks.

"Randy ended his career with the Gophers in nearly every category of the record books," said former Minnesota head coach Jim Dutcher. "He had a great career here and for three consecutive years he led the team in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots; to do that is pretty impressive. He was an incredible player and is very deserving of the honor of having his jersey retired with the best of Minnesota basketball players."

Following his collegiate career, Breuer played in the NBA for eleven seasons, including a three-year stint with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He was selected 18th overall in the 1983 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, and in his career totaled 4,599 points, 2,986 rebounds and 750 blocks.

The jersey retirement ceremony, along with the unveiling of a banner in the Williams Arena rafters, will take place at halftime of the Gophers-Illini game.

Kevin McHale is one of the 50 greatest basketball players in history. What's your point?

My point is that Minnesota hasn't had many great centers and Breuer, while fulfilling his role, was not great. The U can put his jersey up in the rafters as they wish, but Breu was/is clearly not an elite center in college basketball. He's a slightly above average player at the U who benefited from a coach who didn't have to guard against the 3 point shot and could sit in a 2-3 zone all game long. Breu benefited from those factors. He was not an elite athlete by any means. But...if he's the best that MN can offer...put his jersey up there. It doesn't really matter in the end who gets stuck up in the rafters.

Stfu, tiny. Oh, I'm sorry, you know more than Jim Dutcher.

Stfu, tiny. Oh, I'm sorry, you know more than Jim Dutcher.

Stay on topic, Donny.

Give the Breu all the credit you wish to give him. I give him credit for being a serviceable big man in a system that played to his strength. Dutch was a smart enough coach to not make Breu have to play man-to-man defense and he got the ball to Breu down in the blocks during an era when there was no 3 point shot. Look at the Big Men that came out in the 1980s to play in the NBA. Would you say Breu was elite or serviceable? Breu did his thing. The U needs someone to put in the rafters. Might as well be ole flat foot.

Breu wasn't pretty, therefore he wasn't any good..........It's in the scriptures somewhere.

Top Bottom