This is the most disappointing Gopher hockey team ever

We've had a few teams over the past number of years that have underachieved.

The team is exceptionally crummy, no question. It cracks me up when after another loss, they try to point out all the good things they did while still losing to the local media. It's laughable. Sorry boys, the proof is in the pudding and you're not even close to getting it done. That's the bottom line no matter how many times you try to convince those actually watching of otherwise.

After watching our highly ranked Gophers get done in by the likes of Holy Cross and Yale, and then watching a VERY unimpressive UConn bb team go on a run and win a Natl Title last year, I'm not going to get too upset with the Gopher hockey team losing a few games that they should have won, AS LONG AS they get into the NCAA tourney, and bring their A game then. What happens in the NCAA tourney is all that really matters when it comes down to it.

Don't get me wrong, I HATE watching the Gophers lose. I hate it I hate it I hate it.

But I have to find a silver lining and a way to get through a season like this one.

hope this team goes the route of UND and gets really hot in late January and rolls into the postseason at their peak. then all will be forgiven

Brutal weekend on the ice. So much for all of the talk about the break helping us get back on track.

Go Gophers!!

Yes, this times a couple hundred. And it doesn't help that the head guy seems disengaged.

Noticed the latter part of your statement several times this weekend. He shows no fire. No emotion, it's just bull$hit honestly. He's definitely not doing anything to quell the rising opinion in the fan base that he should be fired

Noticed the latter part of your statement several times this weekend. He shows no fire. No emotion, it's just bull$hit honestly. He's definitely not doing anything to quell the rising opinion in the fan base that he should be fired

I think we can criticize the Don for a lot of things, and I don't particularly like him as a coach. However, I don't get concerned about a lack of emotion on his bench. He is generally pretty stoic back there in both good years and bad, and from what I understand he can really rage when he wants to, but he saves it for the locker room. Right now, there are threads on the basketball board criticizing Pitino for yelling at one of his assistants and yelling at Nate Mason. In both cases, the problem is the losing, not the amount of yelling being done on the bench.

I think we can criticize the Don for a lot of things, and I don't particularly like him as a coach. However, I don't get concerned about a lack of emotion on his bench. He is generally pretty stoic back there in both good years and bad, and from what I understand he can really rage when he wants to, but he saves it for the locker room. Right now, there are threads on the basketball board criticizing Pitino for yelling at one of his assistants and yelling at Nate Mason. In both cases, the problem is the losing, not the amount of yelling being done on the bench.

I agree. Lucia has always gone with the aw shucks approach while actually on the bench. My issue isn't that he isn't engaged enough. Rather, my issue is that the product on the ice flat out sucks and it's not getting better. Therein lies my issue with both him and his coaching staff.

I agree. Lucia has always gone with the aw shucks approach while actually on the bench. My issue isn't that he isn't engaged enough. Rather, my issue is that the product on the ice flat out sucks and it's not getting better. Therein lies my issue with both him and his coaching staff.
+1

Just in case you give a sh1t, been watching cbb for years, and last year I wouldn't have wasted 10 bucks on UConn, no matter the odds, come NCAA tournament. But they had an under performing team with the talent to win a Natl Title, that got hot at the right time. There wasn't 1 out of 100 cbb fans who had any confidence in UConn, yet they somehow pulled it off.

This UMn team has the talent, they simply need to get into the tourney, and then let the best team win, right?!

Just in case you give a sh1t, been watching cbb for years, and last year I wouldn't have wasted 10 bucks on UConn, no matter the odds, come NCAA tournament. But they had an under performing team with the talent to win a Natl Title, that got hot at the right time. There wasn't 1 out of 100 cbb fans who had any confidence in UConn, yet they somehow pulled it off.

This UMn team has the talent, they simply need to get into the tourney, and then let the best team win, right?!

Unfortunately it doesn't appear it is going to be simple. Tonight's game was a joke. How many missed opportunities can you have and not cash in. I get that their goalie played well but come on, you have to take advantage at some point.

Missing the tourney all together is not out of the question at this point.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear it is going to be simple. Tonight's game was a joke. How many missed opportunities can you have and not cash in. I get that their goalie played well but come on, you have to take advantage at some point.

Missing the tourney all together is not out of the question at this point.

I said this was a possibility a while ago, but now I am making it a prediction: the only B1G team in the NCAA tournament will be the conference tournament champion. Even the B1G regular season champ will not qualify based on pairwise.

Crash the net harder, and don't make stupid defensive plays to blow a 2-0 lead.

It seems like players stagnate when they get to U. Rau, Marshall etc should be getting better with experience.

I said this was a possibility a while ago, but now I am making it a prediction: the only B1G team in the NCAA tournament will be the conference tournament champion. Even the B1G regular season champ will not qualify based on pairwise.

Crash the net harder, and don't make stupid defensive plays to blow a 2-0 lead.

Depends. If someone runs away with it I could see the B10 getting 2 bids but it seems more and more unlikely all the time. Michigan looks like they could run the table with how weak the league has been and if they get up to 20+ wins it would be hard to hold them out, same with the Gophers. That being said, it's going to take someone getting really hot and then another team pulling the upset in the tourney for 2 teams to even sniff a chance at multiple bids. Margin for error is becoming more razor thin all the time

Also, this weekend is going to go a very long way in determining the PWR for the B10. If (and it's a MASSIVE if now) the Gophers could sweep this weekend and PSU wins their 2 at home vs N Michigan, the overall RPI going to get a good boost for the league as Michigan's wins over MN will be stronger and any wins over PSU will get stronger. Also in 2 weeks PSU has a game with Vermont that will be important as well. Overall things look dark right now for the league, but these next 5 games played by MN and PSU could go a long way in righting the ship for the league

Top Bottom