Time for a truce

#2Gopher

Reaction score
It's been a rough week for everyone no matter what level of a Gopher fan you are. Posts have gotten a bit nasty and to a point that's ok as we all want to win and don't want to be a second tier team.

I'm sure coach Kill learned a few things about himself and his team this week. He is human and he doesn't have to answer to all of us. Right or wrong that's the way it is.

Let's Move on.
Go Gophers

393 posts. When you get to several thousand will you have the same opinion?

It's been a rough week for everyone no matter what level of a Gopher fan you are. Posts have gotten a bit nasty and to a point that's ok as we all want to win and don't want to be a second tier team.

I'm sure coach Kill learned a few things about himself and his team this week. He is human and he doesn't have to answer to all of us. Right or wrong that's the way it is.

Let's Move on.
Go Gophers

If, in someway, he rethinks any part of the game plans and goes for the "Kill" next year, it was all worth it!!! This team is getting better, we know he doesn't yet have a Ferrari, but he doesn't have to drive it like a Yugo...lol

393 posts. When you get to several thousand will you have the same opinion?

I've been a Gopher fan for over 50 years. I just chose to read and listen for a long time. Posts don't mean anything.

Let's Move on.
Go Gophers
What posts have gotten nasty? I would like to see those?

Kill does have to answer to the fans and the university. Every coach in the country does. If you think otherwise you are pretty oblivious.

Let's move on? To what? The opener next year?

I've been a Gopher fan for over 50 years. I just chose to read and listen for a long time. Posts don't mean anything.

I was asking if it would change if you posted more. Thank you for being the fan you have been for 50 years, about the same amount of time I have been a fan. Posts do mean something. Primarily, they are a dialogue. Reading is fine. It is more passive and less engaged. So, the mind is not primed to change. Participation in the dialogue primes a person to new thinking. So, I strongly disagree. I would like to hear more from you and other fans. I am open to change my mind. I have done so in the past. I will do so again in the future. I can only react to what I see. I see a need for the team to get better, including the coaching staff. I have no suggestion for how at the moment that is new.

What posts have gotten nasty? I would like to see those?

My guess is he is talking about the name calling, personal shots, etc. Check out the game thread, someone called Kill a dumb ****. Criticism is expected, most just think that is going too far.

Let's move on? To what? The opener next year?

Probably just means we're beating a dead horse with some of these things. It's been discussed over and over the past few days. There are other things that can be talked about like recruiting, position changes, next year's schedule, etc.

Passion is a good thing. We've got a lot of it within our fan base, it's growing and that's fantastic. Some of us have different ways of showing it, but the overwhelming majority of us have the same end goal. It starts with beating TCU.

Go Gophers!!

Off topic I just caught up on the board after being off for quite a while, where is Dr. Don? I noticed/looked he hasn't posted since Christmas. Hope he is well.

Off topic I just caught up on the board after being off for quite a while, where is Dr. Don? I noticed/looked he hasn't posted since Christmas. Hope he is well.

He is in Phoenix visiting his daughter and said he won't have much the time/access to post.

I agree with the general sentiment here. I've decided to stop going back to that thread to argue about what we should have done at the end of the first half. But, this is another reason (alongside recruiting and exposure) why performance in the bowl game matters. Bowl game to opener is far and away the longest stretch between games, and not only has Kill lost all three of his bowl games here, but in my opinion we haven't played anywhere near our best football in any of them (the Texas Tech game may have been the closest to our best effort before the fourth quarter meltdown). What that leaves us to do is sit here and stew about a bad game for seven months with a bad taste in our mouths. It really would be nice to see how the mood around here would change if we entered the offseason on a win.

An earlier poster mentioned that we are all here for the same thing. Respectfully disagree. There is an apparently offended faction here that seems only able to feel good about themselves as Gopher fans (possibly even as people?) if we win. Problem is, in every game one team wins and one loses. If you think making an honest effort in a loss equals being a loser on a personal level, competitive sports will likely cause wild emotional swings that sometimes result in spewing vitriol on message boards. I'm sure many of us aren't here for that.

As I have said, the hope is the coaches make some adjustments to their offensive aggressiveness. The feedback from the fans may have a little influence, maybe not. I just know that if they show the same amount of desire to win in next years bowl, it will cause some fans to turn away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was asking if it would change if you posted more. Thank you for being the fan you have been for 50 years, about the same amount of time I have been a fan. Posts do mean something. Primarily, they are a dialogue. Reading is fine. It is more passive and less engaged. So, the mind is not primed to change. Participation in the dialogue primes a person to new thinking. So, I strongly disagree. I would like to hear more from you and other fans. I am open to change my mind. I have done so in the past. I will do so again in the future. I can only react to what I see. I see a need for the team to get better, including the coaching staff. I have no suggestion for how at the moment that is new.

I think what #2Gopher is trying to say is that posting on a website is not the only way to engage in dialogue about our favorite team. Some of us have conversations with other people face to face and that helps us to form, reinforce or even change our opinions. I know I get a little frustrated when it is intimated that those of us with fewer posts are lesser fans. If I misinterpreted your sentiment, I apologize, but to suggest my mind isn't primed because I post less on GH is presumptuous and ridiculous.

If you think this is bad, then you haven't seen bad.

I think what #2Gopher is trying to say is that posting on a website is not the only way to engage in dialogue about our favorite team. Some of us have conversations with other people face to face and that helps us to form, reinforce or even change our opinions. I know I get a little frustrated when it is intimated that those of us with fewer posts are lesser fans. If I misinterpreted your sentiment, I apologize, but to suggest my mind isn't primed because I post less on GH is presumptuous and ridiculous.

Everybody knows that it isn't how many posts you have on GH that's important, it's how many friends you have on facebook.

I think what #2Gopher is trying to say is that posting on a website is not the only way to engage in dialogue about our favorite team. Som.e of us have conversations with other people face to face and that helps us to form, reinforce or even change our opinions. I know I get a little frustrated when it is intimated that those of us with fewer posts are lesser fans. If I misinterpreted your sentiment, I apologize, but to suggest my mind isn't primed because I post less on GH is presumptuous and ridiculous.

I know my opinion is presumptuous. I disagree on ridiculous. Share what you have learned from outside the discussion board. There are those of us who may just disagree with that point of view until such time as the preponderance of discussion reaches that proverbial tipping point where minds get changed. Pleading for us to stop having that conversation is troubling.

But, this is another reason (alongside recruiting and exposure) why performance in the bowl game matters. Bowl game to opener is far and away the longest stretch between games, and not only has Kill lost all three of his bowl games here, but in my opinion we haven't played anywhere near our best football in any of them .....What that leaves us to do is sit here and stew about a bad game for seven months with a bad taste in our mouths. It really would be nice to see how the mood around here would change if we entered the offseason on a win.

I couldn't agree more. I got ridiculed for suggesting that I would rather see the Gophers win 7 games during the regular season next year and win a bowl game to go 8-5 than what we've done in the past two years. We've shown that we can beat all but the best conference teams and finish with a decent-to-good record in the league but we haven't shown that we can win a bowl game even when we get a winnable bowl assignment. That post-season game is the most important one for the reasons you've stated and the Gophers have had 7 straight bowl games ending their seasons on a bad note.

Posts do mean something. Primarily, they are a dialogue. Reading is fine. It is more passive and less engaged. So, the mind is not primed to change. Participation in the dialogue primes a person to new thinking.

Do you have any empirical research to support that view? I've read some recently suggesting that negative posts on internet forums get a lot of attention while positive or informative ones are largely ignored. I believe the type of phenomena you describe may well be possible on blogs devoted to technical, professional, health, or other life sciences subjects but, for those devoted to subjects where passion is more prevalent than rationality or intellectual curiosity (like politics and sports), I believe that people largely come away from those forums with the same attitudes they had when they entered them.

Passion is a good thing. We've got a lot of it within our fan base, it's growing and that's fantastic. Some of us have different ways of showing it, but the overwhelming majority of us have the same end goal. It starts with beating TCU.

Go Gophers!!

+1

Do you have any empirical research to support that view? I've read some recently suggesting that negative posts on internet forums get a lot of attention while positive or informative ones are largely ignored. I believe the type of phenomena you describe may well be possible on blogs devoted to technical, professional, health, or other life sciences subjects but, for those devoted to subjects where passion is more prevalent than rationality or intellectual curiosity (like politics and sports), I believe that people largely come away from those forums with the same attitudes they had when they entered them.

Nope. Not at this time. I admit I extrapolated other psychology studies into my point of view. I would certainly not ignore what you or others may have to say.

I thought it was how many recruit twitterers you stalk...

Yeah...its how many 17 year old boys you get to engage you on twitter that makes you fan #1...at least thats what the hawk tells his mother.

I know my opinion is presumptuous. I disagree on ridiculous. Share what you have learned from outside the discussion board. There are those of us who may just disagree with that point of view until such time as the preponderance of discussion reaches that proverbial tipping point where minds get changed. Pleading for us to stop having that conversation is troubling.

If your sense of reality is so skewed that participation on a fan website is how one is defined as a fan, it is ridiculous and more than a little sad. I have never plead with anyone to stop any conversation on this site, nor will I. I simply expressed frustration with those of you who think I'm a lesser fan because I have fewer posts. That is ridiculous. Can you acknowledge that different people can be huge fans in ways other than racking up posts on a website?

Can you acknowledge that different people can be huge fans in ways other than racking up posts on a website?

Yes, I can but not all can. It has to do with one's level of egocentrism of thinking like "if you didn't do it my way, your way can't compare." All that is required to be a fan is that you watch a team continuously and care about its success. If you make the effort to attend games and feel that is worth the price of admission and other expenses, that would make you a bigger fan. If you went one step further and donated, I guess that makes you the biggest fan. When it comes to internet forums, if one argued that spending much time on them is mostly a waste of time, I would be hard pressed to argue with him/her.

Well then, a round of Koumbayah. Would cjbfbp and go_gophers care to lead!?

Well then, a round of Koumbayah. Would cjbfbp and go_gophers care to lead!?

No need, dean. Happy trolling and thanks for proving you're not worth the effort of engaging in conversation. Why would I entertain any sort of discourse with a narrow-minded, arrogant, would-be instigator. Find a new target for your d-baggery. Ski-U-Mah.

So how the heck did this pissing match start?

394 posts is not someone new to the board. Or without a history or feel for it.

Top Bottom