speculative fun: NFL draft - which Gophers end up where and when/how

Johnob2

Reaction score
Hate that it is 9 months to the next real game so, just for fun, thought I would start a who goes where thread. Pre- senior bowl, pre combine, pre workouts.

Thought we could award a point for guessing a destination correctly and a point for a correct
draft round. I will track back to this early May and see who won.

IMHO

Maxx Williams ends up as a Charger - 2nd round

Damien Wilson as a Giant - 5th round

David Cobb as a Dolphin - 6th round

I also think Cedric Thompson makes a practice squad as a free agent - Cowboys perhaps.

Hope a few of the other graduating seniors get a shot somewhere.

I think the point in the draft where Maxx will be begin to be considered is 28th to the Cowboys (Witten ancient) or 29th overall to the Packers. Other teams that may consider him in the first round are Denver at 31 (both Julius Thomas and Tamme are in option years), and the Seahawks at 32. It wouldn't totally surprise me if Belicheck took him at 30, as they love to run two TE sets, and Maxx seems like the type of player that Belicheck would love. Another logical spot for him would be Atlanta at 42. All of the above would be fantastic places for him to land. San Diego at 49 also seems possible.

Some less than fantastic possibilities include Tampa Bay, Oakland Jacksonville, NY Jets (34-37).

Of course, he could end up anywhere in the first three rounds, but if he goes in top 50, I see these as most likely.

As far as Cobb goes, here are the teams that NFL.com lists as having the position of RB in their list of top needs:

Jacksonville, St. Louis, Minnesota, Baltimore & New England.

My Guess: Maxx to Atlanta in the second round, Cobb to Minnesota in the 4th or 5th round.

Maxx Williams - 1st round - Cowboys

David Cobb - 3rd round - Ravens

Eric Murray - 6th round - Vikings

Damien Wilson - 6th round - Bears

Please don't .... I would cry if Murray announces as well. Thought he was awesome yesterday.

Please don't .... I would cry if Murray announces as well. Thought he was awesome yesterday.
Yeah, I haven't heard anything. Just saw him in a few mock drafts so figured I'd add him. Hoping he stays!

The bottom part of the draft is dependent on how playoff teams finish, so we can't yet predict who will pick where. That said, I think the Packers would pull them trigger on Maxx at the end of the first round, since an active, athletic tight end who can stretch the field is critical to their offensive scheme, and is something they're currently lacking. I also think those who say Dallas as the heir apparent to Whitten make sense. Either way, I don't see him getting out of the first round, which is why he's leaving. Can't turn down that kind of security.

Would be the dumbest decision in the world to leave early to be a 6th round draft pick. 6th/7th round draft picks don't even make the 53 man roster 30% of the time. Then you're out with no degree and you're paying your own way to finish it.

The bottom part of the draft is dependent on how playoff teams finish, so we can't yet predict who will pick where. That said, I think the Packers would pull them trigger on Maxx at the end of the first round, since an active, athletic tight end who can stretch the field is critical to their offensive scheme, and is something they're currently lacking. I also think those who say Dallas as the heir apparent to Whitten make sense. Either way, I don't see him getting out of the first round, which is why he's leaving. Can't turn down that kind of security.

I can't think of a better place than Green Bay for him to land. Rodgers has a good 5-8 years in him, and they can now run the ball. Maxx's blocking ability, as well his ability of stretch the field in play action or work underneath Nelson and Cobb would be electric.

Atlanta would be a good spot also. Matt Ryan is really missing Tony Gonzalez.

It would be exciting if he went at the end of the first round, as it would mean he'd be on a good team, playing in big prime-time games, etc.

I can't think of a better place than Green Bay for him to land. Rodgers has a good 5-8 years in him, and they can now run the ball. Maxx's blocking ability, as well his ability of stretch the field in play action or work underneath Nelson and Cobb would be electric.

It would be exciting if he went at the end of the first round, as it would mean he'd be on a good team, playing in big prime-time games, etc.

I can. I'd rather he lands in Barrow, AK to play for the Barrow HS Whalers than go to Green Bay. :p

I'll say Maxx goes early in the 2nd round, Cobb in the 4th, and Wilson in the 6th.

Maxx - Late First/Early Second
Cobb - 4th or 5th
Wilson - 7th or UDF

Would be the dumbest decision in the world to leave early to be a 6th round draft pick. 6th/7th round draft picks don't even make the 53 man roster 30% of the time. Then you're out with no degree and you're paying your own way to finish it.

Didnt u say on an earlier thread Murray was 15 on some website? how does that make him 6th round? there 4-6 cb drafted per round its a premium position. I sat with the head scout from Bengals & Steelers yesterday at the game. Murray is back home and his draft grade will be in probably Monday. At that time he will make a decision on whats best for Eric Murray.

Didnt u say on an earlier thread Murray was 15 on some website? how does that make him 6th round? there 4-6 cb drafted per round its a premium position. I sat with the head scout from Bengals & Steelers yesterday at the game. Murray is back home and his draft grade will be in probably Monday. At that time he will make a decision on whats best for Eric Murray.

I quoted someone who had him leaving early to get drafted in the 6th.

I had seen him in some mock drafts so I just threw him in there. Hoping he doesn't leave

Damn I hope Maxx doesn't end up with the Packers. Ufdah

I would be furious if Maxx landed in GB.

As a Charger fan I would LOVE to see Maxx fall down and we get him in the second round, however I think he'll be gone by then, but maybe the Bolts will trade up for him. Having Gates to learn from would be amazing for him. I see Maxx going early second round, maybe to a team like St. Louis. Cobb will go 5th round, hopefully Minnesota. Wilson will also go 5th round, I don't want to sound biased, but the Chargers do need help in the linebacker position maybe they'll pick up 2 Gophers and make me like them even more!

Maxx-1st round-Arizona
Cobb-5th round-Buffalo
Wilson-6th round-Minnesota

Not sure where but we will see more Gophers don NFL uniforms this year than we have in the past.

Maxx will be go somewhere between 20th and 50th overall.

Cobb has a chance to improve his stock at the Senior Bowl but right now I imagine he'll go in the 3rd-5th round range depending on how he runs at the combine.

Wilson will be a candidate to grab a combine invite but I doubt it. However, Maxx is going to help a lot of our Seniors by drawing scouts to them Minnesota pro day where I think Wilson will impress. Has the length and toughness to be a strong fit in a 34 scheme. I'd say he comes off the board somewhere in the 6th or 7th.

Ced Thompson will be a priority free agent. He doesn't wow you physically but he is pretty consistent and controlled player, much like Brock. There's a spot in the NFL for a DB with his tackling ability. His agent will be showing his game against Wisconsin to every team.

Epping will get a camp invite but I doubt he sticks, not a lot of 6-2 OL in the NFL.

Derrick Wells will benefit from the Maxx exposure as well. I expect him to run pretty well at the pro day and the NFL scouts will love his size and versatility. At 6-0, 205 he can move around the defense and cover a lot of different types of players from safety or as a NB, similar to how the Vikings use Robert Blanton. He also isn't afraid to stick his nose in run support. Think he gets a camp invite with a chance to stick.

Cameron Botticelli, Damien Wilson and Cedric Thompson will be playing the NFLPA bowl on January 17th. Another chance to be seen.

A lot depends on what happens in the up coming free-agency period, but here are my final guesses:

Cobb to the Saints. They have a decision to make on Ingram, and both he and Pierre Thomas are essentially bowling balls. The Saints will value Cobb's three down skill and cutting ability. A great place for Cobb to land. Second or third round, with the possibility of the Chargers taking him in the same time frame.

Maxx to the Cowboys, Packers or Patriots in the first round, with the Seahawks being a posibility.

I enjoy watching these two get drafted and being wrong.

Maxx - late 1st round/early second round
Cobb - 3rd/4th round
Damien - 5th/6th round
Cedric - 7th/UDFA
Cameron - UDFA

Hi All

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread (but it is the offseason)

Just wondering if anyone else wants a go at this, or if anyone having already had a go wants to change their prediction based on the combine.

I will gladly donate some sort of prize to the winner (not sure what yet but will think of something).

Best wishes

Maxx - late 1st round/early second round
Cobb - 3rd/4th round
Damien - 5th/6th round
Cedric - 7th/UDFA
Cameron - UDFA

This is exactly how I see things going but I would add

Epping - UDFA

If Williams is there at #30, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers draft him.

I'm guessing Cobb and Wilson will both be third day guys (Rounds 4 through 7). I think both will be on a pro roster next season.

I think Cedric Thompson and Zac Epping will be UDFAs. Something tells me Epping is a guy who will find his way onto a pro roster at some point and stick around for a few years. Can play some C in addition to G and he's got a little Conrad Dobler in him. Teams seem to really like that type of player.

vikingsb_logo.gif
Minnesota Vikings: David Cobb, RB, Minnesota
Minnesota_logo.gif

The Vikings could address the running back position much earlier than this if Adrian Peterson leaves. They need to find someone to complement Jerrick McKinnon.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015_5.php

Round 5 here.

As much as I would love for the Vikings to get him there, I hope he goes before the 5th round.

To those saying the Packers will draft Maxx - I really don't think so. They just spent a 3rd round pick last year on a TE who played well down the stretch last year. I think they'll see him as their future #1 with Quarless as a good backup. They just released two of their starting LBs from last year, so I'm pretty confident that they'll be looking at an LB early. Tackle too if they don't resign Bulaga.

Saints just released Pierre Thomas. I''ll go with Cobb to Saints in the 4th round.

Top Bottom