Interesting draft so far

Lincoln gopher

Reaction score
A little over 1 round done and already 3 players selected from Indiana. Only Big 10 players taken so far. IU's two starters taken, Arnett in the first round by the Brewers and Bashore in the supplemental 1st round by the Twins. Their catcher was also taken in the supplemental 1st round.

Decker also goes to the Twins in the 27th round. That's really low so I would say the odds of seeing him in maroon and gold in the fall is a pretty safe bet.

Is McCallum as good as gone or do you think he will stick it out one more year? He is a junior, right?

He's gone for sure. You can't pass up that kind of money he is going to get. The draft is also always based on potential, meaning that althought McCallum had an unbelievable year, he is not going to get drafted much higher next year. So even if he went out and had a repeat performance of this year (which he admits, would be tough to accomplish), he is going to get drafted in roughly the same round. Also if he doesn't sign this year, he loses all bargaing power next year because there would be no place for him to go. I would assume he is going to get paid well this year (I would say roughly $300k), but lets assume he comes back, has an identical year and gets drafted in the eaxct same position, he would lose all that leverage he has and probably end up signing for a whole lot less because he would have no where else to go and the MLB teams know that. So yea, I would say he is gone for sure. Also, from the people I talk to who know him, he is close to getting his degree so he could complete it in the off-season and with that said, he has been looking to get out anyway. I think he likes the U, but he definately wanted his chance to play beyond college and this will be his best oppurtunity.

There is no reason for McCallum to come back, he is ready. Decker looks to be a lock to come back to play football so after that he would have to decide if he wants to stay in school and play again for the Gophers or sign with somebody like the Saints.

Maytas worries me a little and the yankess have so much money to throw around that they could make it interesting. Hopefully he stays and would be in position for a top 10 round spot next year.

There is no reason for McCallum to come back, he is ready. Decker looks to be a lock to come back to play football so after that he would have to decide if he wants to stay in school and play again for the Gophers or sign with somebody like the Saints.

Maytas worries me a little and the yankess have so much money to throw around that they could make it interesting. Hopefully he stays and would be in position for a top 10 round spot next year.

Decker can sign a two sport contract with the Twins that will allow him, under NCAA rules, to play football this fall, and then head for minor league camp in the spring. I have no idea if he's interested in doing that, though.

Most teams won't do that, they make the kid make a decision. The fact that Decker was drafted in the middle rounds and it's the Twins means there is a chance they could work out a deal but it would probably include very little money.

I agree that Maytas coming back is a little worrisome, but I believe he will be back. He is only a sophomore so he can still pitch next year and have plenty of leverage in the draft, but he did have a helluva year, so maybe the Yanks will throw some additional money at him. Who knows, but hopefully he will make the smart decision and come back to school.

No Way!

Mccallum is as good as gone and with the Twins drafting him it's a done deal. It's in his best interest to turn pro. Matayas worries me too but I think he'll stay one more year. I'm not sure yet what to think about Decker. Is it football or baseball? If he isn't going to go very high in the football draft then I could see him playing another year with the Gophers in baseball.

Top Bottom