Reaction score
From a reddit.com/r/cfb user.

FGYLVPi.jpg

YoIow2S.jpg

VePFBpP.jpg

DJFli4E.jpg

cLYfhyS.jpg

R8V3CyE.jpg

*Ivy League schools will operate as their own division and will not play challenge games to move up to level B.

Looks cool, but does not take $ or commitment to football into account. Big 5 would never agree to something like this. It's going to be the top 64-80 programs splitting off and eventually not playing against anyone in a lower level. Schools will then have to decide their commitment to the game of football.

This would be awesome for the fan. It is similar to soccer.

But it'll never happen. It would be sweet though.

I appreciate the effort and outside the box thinking, but I don't see any way something like this could possibly work. There are way too many holes. The "challenge game" concept is one problem. As we've seen, in a single game strange things can happen. In European soccer, teams get relegated and promoted based on their full season results. But if you did that, you would get schools like Purdue and Iowa State potentially being replaced by schools like NDSU and Illinois State (the finalists in this years FCS playoffs) and the finances would never work due to stadium sizes, alumni base, etc. Illinois State averages about 10K in attendance. Plus how many scholarships per team? How do you handle travel schedules, etc.?

11 game schedule? Don't most teams play 12 now with a possible conference champ game being 13? Can't see why they would take a game out.

so Purdue and/or Illinios get relegated (we would have been relegated under Brewster) - making the Division B home slate well worth the investment Norwood is asking us to pony up for - Interesting but I'll pass - thanks

The good idea is making a new division among the worst of the fbs and the best of the fcs. Give the poor FBS programs a real playoff rather than crappy bowls.

11 game schedule? Don't most teams play 12 now with a possible conference champ game being 13? Can't see why they would take a game out.

I was thinking maybe to account for the challenge games and longer playoff?

Terrible idea. Promoting and demoting teams might work for professional leagues but will never work for college. Competing within the Big Ten is an inseparable part of the experience of Gopher football. The day we agree to be a part of a plan which might make us play Drake or Valparaiso as a conference game while not playing Wisconsin or Iowa is the day I walk away from college football.

So does this have any type of backing or is this just some dudes pipedream...?

Given, I think it's pretty AWESOME!

I was thinking maybe to account for the challenge games and longer playoff?

I'm guessing that's what they are thinking but that is net a lot less games for the group to keep the total games down for the top few teams. Should keep it 12 game reg season, 1 game conference championship, next week round of 8 playoffs neutral predetermined sites, then a break and final 4 play like they do now within the bowls. It's more games for 8 teams (16 for 2) but the other way your relegating 14 of 16 teams in each division to an 11 game schedule plus a bowl. That's not going to happen.

Challenge games are for people who think fair is important. No way any top tier team is going to enter a system where they could be relegated to a lower tier after one bad year. The TV money wouldn't support a system where Michigan this year gets drummed out of division A because they are bad for one year.

I'm guessing that's what they are thinking but that is net a lot less games for the group to keep the total games down for the top few teams. Should keep it 12 game reg season, 1 game conference championship, next week round of 8 playoffs neutral predetermined sites, then a break and final 4 play like they do now within the bowls. It's more games for 8 teams (16 for 2) but the other way your relegating 14 of 16 teams in each division to an 11 game schedule plus a bowl. That's not going to happen.

Challenge games are for people who think fair is important. No way any top tier team is going to enter a system where they could be relegated to a lower tier after one bad year. The TV money wouldn't support a system where Michigan this year gets drummed out of division A because they are bad for one year.
I agree it's stupid to relegate 16 teams, but 3 teams out of 120 is pretty reasonable. Michigan isn't going down but New Mexico State or Eastern Michigan might. And they might be back up the next year. Under a new system where New Mexico State had "must win games" late in the year their games would be better for the TV money not worse.

It would make it interesting for teams trying to avoid relegation which could peak fan interest a little for those teams.

This guy wasted his time.

+1. Good luck to Drake and their fellow Pioneer Football League members who play FCS, but the conference members do not offer football scholarships. I doubt that these schools, even after an exceptional season, would care much about a challenge game.

Sure hope the BTN adds a couple of alternate channels.

I think this is akin to what they do in Europe with soccer.

Ha! As I was reading it I was thinking the same thing to myself. i.e. "This reads/has the logic of a soccer rube with hints of things like relegation & promotion".

Looks cool, but does not take $ or commitment to football into account. Big 5 would never agree to something like this. It's going to be the top 64-80 programs splitting off and eventually not playing against anyone in a lower level. Schools will then have to decide their commitment to the game of football.

+1.

Not at all interesting or fresh. We did this is in junior high fantasy football. It should stay there.

I like arrangements that are organic and grow over time - this sounds like a heavy-handed scheme from on high, and a big money scheme, and big money will eventually kill the sport. Bad enough that 100-year rivalries like Missouri-Kansas, Nebraska-Kansas have been lost.

It would make it interesting for teams trying to avoid relegation which could peak fan interest a little for those teams.

I think it could also drown a program pretty quick. If you have a bad year or two and get dropped down to level B, it then probably becomes much more difficult to recruit top talent to a "B" program. Even if they were an "A" program a year or two previous. It would make things like coaching changes and recruiting very critical to a program.

So this obviously is for college football, What about basketball? What about all of the other sports that are played? As is stated, this is just a "fun" different take on how things could be even if it is full of holes. I do like the outside-the-box thinking that goes into something like this.

Top Bottom