Alonzo Brown Decommits

Sid Hartman

Banned
Reaction score
@the_OCHO_brown: I will be Decommitting from the university of Minnesota. Thanks to all the fans and the coaches for the opportunity.

@the_OCHO_brown: I will be Decommitting from the university of Minnesota. Thanks to all the fans and the coaches for the opportunity.

That stinks! Not going to hate on the kid either when he seemingly accepted a "better" offer. Good luck to the young man and GO GOPHERS!

We cooled on him.....

Seriously though, that's what Burns is saying on GI. It was more of a mutual decision.

With all the red shirts, probably not critical to have WR. Hope we find a quality replacement.

I would be much more concerned if this happened at a big position of need but I'm happy with the group of red shirt WRs we have and don't think landing a WR is a big deal in this class.

How can you say you are happy with our redshirt WR when you haven't seen them play yet? We need all the good WR's we can get as far as I'm concerned. Someone needs to take the heat off Maxx!

This sucks. Was one of the better commits in this class. Big, fast WR- the kind Kill likes. Has a bunch of offers inc. Florida, Kansas St., Ga Tech, Iowa. Guess you can't blame him with our current passing offense. My guess is he ends up at Fla with their new coach.

The Gophers just got more opportunity to shore up defensive needs, JC or HS.

If not, give a scholie to a deserving walk-on.

How can you say you are happy with our redshirt WR when you haven't seen them play yet? We need all the good WR's we can get as far as I'm concerned. Someone needs to take the heat off Maxx!
Never know for sure until they step on the field but practice reports on them have been very good and watching high school film on them I really like the potential they show. Watching Brown play on TV early in the year he looked solid as a WR but his blocking was probably his best asset and I really didn't see the same kind of stretch the field WR potential with him. I agree with die hard gopher I'd really like to land Horsted as a PWO and I think he could end up contributing down the line. Anyone hear the reason for Brown decommiting I've seen some speculation that he wasn't handling his academics real well and that was a concern.

I wonder if Pinkney (visiting 1/16/2014) is going to commit soon.

According to Rivals, there are only 3 teams left with interest in Brown. Boston College, Kansas State, and UCF. So maybe a number of teams have cooled on Brown for whatever reason. I do hope the Gophers can find at least one WR somewhere for this class.

According to Rivals, there are only 3 teams left with interest in Brown. Boston College, Kansas State, and UCF. So maybe a number of teams have cooled on Brown for whatever reason. I do hope the Gophers can find at least one WR somewhere for this class.

Well we can lock this up as a win for Kansas State.

Perhaps the Gophers having the worst passing offense in college football played a part in his decision.

His numbers weren't real good this year versus his junior year. He had games this year where he didn't even start, or had limited play.

His numbers weren't real good this year versus his junior year. He had games this year where he didn't even start, or had limited play.

Don't fool yourself. He was injured a good part of the year. The first game that was televised, he was not supposed to play because of injury, and fought that all year.

This was a really nice recruit from a school that is producing prospects, in an area we want to recruit more heavily.

I for one would like at least 1 WR in this class. that way we can bring them along slowly and get something out of them for a few years down the road.

I do think the gophers will start putting up better passing numbers and i believe this team will have a pretty potent offense once that occurs. I don't believe we have to chuck it up 30 times a game either as the running game helps in so many aspects of the game offensively and defensively.

I would think elite WR's might think when the gophers do throw it it is usually a big time play and want that type of experience. but many would rather have those 10 x 5yarders. Maybe Brown thought more of the more catches verses the big plays.

Almonzo Brown didn't decommit so much as he was told to look around. For whatever reason the staff cooled on him. Maybe it was his unimpressive Sr year? Maybe they feel Hunter Register is going to commit and the numbers worked out that we only have room for one WR? Maybe they were using Brown in hopes of getting Anree St Amour as a package deal and when St Amour said "no thanks" it made Brown expendable? Who knows, but what is clear is that he didn't decommit because he hates our offense or any of that "the sky is falling" stuff. Also, Pinkney has already cancelled his visit saying it's too far from home. If I was a betting man (haha) I'd bet Hunter Register is our next commit.

Almonzo Brown didn't decommit so much as he was told to look around. For whatever reason the staff cooled on him. Maybe it was his unimpressive Sr year? Maybe they feel Hunter Register is going to commit and the numbers worked out that we only have room for one WR? Maybe they were using Brown in hopes of getting Anree St Amour as a package deal and when St Amour said "no thanks" it made Brown expendable? Who knows, but what is clear is that he didn't decommit because he hates our offense or any of that "the sky is falling" stuff. Also, Pinkney has already cancelled his visit saying it's too far from home. If I was a betting man (haha) I'd bet Hunter Register is our next commit.

I hope so but isn't he a bit afraid of the cold/wants to stay down south? I don't want to be be the "we never wanted him to begin with" guy but I just never felt like Brown's offer list was indicative of his talent. Register appears to be much more explosive but also has 3 inches on brown.

I hope so but isn't he a bit afraid of the cold/wants to stay down south? I don't want to be be the "we never wanted him to begin with" guy but I just never felt like Brown's offer list was indicative of his talent. Register appears to be much more explosive but also has 3 inches on brown.

Brown loved it here, his Dad loved it here, they were trying to recruit Anree St Amour up here as well. They got him to visit but it's become pretty clear that St Amour isn't coming. I really don't think Brown broke up with us. We broke up with Brown. Register would be as good or better if we pick him up. He loves it here, but it's a long way from home and Register's brother plays hoops at UL Monroe (I think it's Monroe?) where the coaches have told Hunter he could play both football and basketball. It sounds like Hunter's parents actually want him to come North and I think he's going to be deciding soon.

Thanks for posting. I like your input on recruiting topics.

Brown loved it here, his Dad loved it here, they were trying to recruit Anree St Amour up here as well. They got him to visit but it's become pretty clear that St Amour isn't coming. I really don't think Brown broke up with us. We broke up with Brown. Register would be as good or better if we pick him up. He loves it here, but it's a long way from home and Register's brother plays hoops at UL Monroe (I think it's Monroe?) where the coaches have told Hunter he could play both football and basketball. It sounds like Hunter's parents actually want him to come North and I think he's going to be deciding soon.

Pretty sure it's Lafayette actually.

Such a bummer. He and his dad drove up here from Atlanta shortly before he committed. The staff isn't playing hardball, this isn't the SEC. Hope things work out for him wherever he ends up.

While true, there is no guarantee Brown was that guy. Maybe the staff thought they had bigger fish they could reel in.

Gophers offered 2015 WR Brandon Singleton today, coincidence?

Perhaps the Gophers having the worst passing offense in college football played a part in his decision.

True enough - the Gophers would have played Ohio State in Indianapolis if they'd had a better passing game. This is the FOURTH year, after all.

Gophers offered 2015 WR Brandon Singleton today, coincidence?

A player committed to another school and has now scheduled a visit to MN in January. All according to rivals site.

Top Bottom