Pitino post game presser: Needs to see Gaston practice at least once before playing,

GopherLady

Reaction score
this team has no ego, joked that since now they have a lot of guys, maybe he'll run one off.

Here are my quick post-game notes:

DeAndre Mathieu
• We're trying to speed guys up and make quick decisions
• I'm trying to be the best defender in the country
• Carlos is a scorer, guys have to respect him a little more
• On the new players - Pretty cool, it's a good group
• On Mike Lukashewich - His 2nd practice was yesterday. Coach likes him. He plays defense and he can shoot. He's going to help us out.
• On the difference with having more bodies at practice: It's definitely going to be a big difference. Practice was getting really tough, trying to simulate a game at practice, and guys were just getting worn out. This will give guys a break.

Carlos Morris
• We r just trying to get better and more big 10 play
• (On not getting upset by NC teams like other B1G teams) Coach P gets on us like, "you don't want to be in that position." You could lose to anybody.
• Once our defense gets started our offense is going to come, we've got great guys.
• On getting anxious to start Big 10 play - definitely. Not knocking any of these teams, but it's time for that competition.
• It started out with practice, I'm trying to be a better guy at practice, trying to talk more at practice. I worked out communicating with my guys. If someone gives me a good pass, I tell them "good pass," it's just the little things.
• Coach P tells me to shoot when I'm open

Mike Lukashewich
• I did not want to play college basketball because I didn't want to jeopardize my academics
• My major is sports management
• I decided to try out because I had been working out all summer, and if it worked out, I said it worked out and if they didn't need me it was okay. I'm thankful for the opportunity.
• On who he recruited by - only small D2 and D3 schools.
• Earlier this Christmas break, I got called back for practice, but it wasn't for sure yet. I had tried out earlier.
• It gave me chills, I'm thankful that Coach gave me the opportunity, I just want to take care of my business. I was nervous at 1st.
• His Dad came to the game today - he was excited for me. It wasn't my intention to be on the team.

Gaston
• On what it was like when he wasn't with the team: It was really different, to because it was like 3 months. I watched pratice, but not doing nothing. Now I can give a hand, and that's what I want to do this year.
• On getting into games before the B1G: I have to work out though, I have to get better every day. That's my objective right now.
• I knew him before I got here (on Bakary)
• On how anxious he was during the past semester: It was hell. It was really hell. But right now, I forget the past.
• On what Pitino has told him about getting into the game: I have to be patient, work out hard and improve every day. He wants me to defend, talking, rebounding and be patient for the next 3 months.
• It was really hard, but I'm here now and I'm really excited.
• On if he thinks he'll get in during the next game: That's my objective.*

Richard Pitino:
• I'm very excited about that performance top to bottom. Our sense of entitlement, or lack of, was great. These guys sense that they're getting better as a team. A lot of really good things to take from it.
• We don't have an ego as a team, no sense of entitlement. Who are we to look down on opponents? What have we accomplished to do that? That's not the mindset of me or the team.
• On Morris: I asked him why he wasn't shooting open 3's, if you're open, bombs away. He's done a great job of taking good shots. The next step for him is communication, he's really really quiet. We do a drill in practice where you have to call out a guy's name, and he's quiet.
• Our guys are individually getting a lot better. I'm excited about the direction of this team.
• We stopped pressing in the 2nd half. It starts with DeAndre and Andre, they learned a lot from that Louisville game, playing a top 5 team.
• Mo Walker he was really good, so we Elliott. Bakary is getting better, I think all three of them have been pushing themselves.
• On Mike - He had gotten 3 days of practice. I'm not real tough, everyone has to practice at least once before I play them, maybe I'm a stickler. Everyone wanted me to play Gaston, but I have to see him practice 1st. We hoped he's be on the team in September, but he's way behind. He's got a way to go. This is an uphill battle for him, but I'm happy he's in.
• Mike contests shots great, we were laughing about it. He gets blocked shots. He's got long arms. I like all of our walk-ons, I like Darren as well. He was originally supposed to play at St. Thomas, and I guess he didn't like it. I haven't talked to him much, I need to get to know him. Darren is a transfer, so he's not eligible to play this year because he's a transfer, he's lightning fast. He and Mike could of played D2.
• We just threw these guys in, it's so early.
• Too many players now - maybe I'll run someone off again, laughing.
• Morris never had a sub, now Mike can sub for him.
• I really try to stay away from predicting the future. I have no idea. Tomorrow will be tough, I need to see him practice. I didn't want to play him, because if a guy loses his mind on the bball court, you don't want to burn a redshirt. We put him through a workout today. I didn't want to totally wear him out. Didn't scout him in person, only on film. He's been great, very respectful. He had a class during practice, so it's not like he's been able to watch practice. He's self-motivated, a very funny kid. Showed great maturity. His English may be better than Bakary's. Gas is probably ahead of him English wise.
• Joey King - if he could not foul on a block out, that would be great, and stare at the ref like he didn’t do it. I told the ref to explain it to him, since he's not listening to me.

Deandre - he's getting a high number of assists. He is trying to get assists. As we get going, we need him to be an offensive threat as well. I like Andre and Carlos on the wing. He's expanded his game, but we still need him to score.

I think it's preposterous that he wants to see Gaston practice before he'll play him. Doesn't he trust anyone?

Says gaston speaks better English than bakary. Hah

Ya, good stuff

Says gaston speaks better English than bakary. Hah

Thank you Nadine!
Ya, like that wasn't meant to be heard by a few specific people. lol Hope they don't re-test Bakary. ha
It's a fun read...lot's of good stuff, but I liked this line, and you can just hear Pitino delivering it too...
* Joey King - "if he could not foul on a block out, that would be great, and stare at the ref like he didn’t do it. I told the ref to explain it to him, since he's not listening to me." all refs are wanna be coaches anyway...
so many different targets and points in a couple sentences. Another words there is more to that "story".

this team has no ego, joked that since now they have a lot of guys, maybe he'll run one off.

Here are my quick post-game notes:

DeAndre Mathieu
• We're trying to speed guys up and make quick decisions
• I'm trying to be the best defender in the country
• Carlos is a scorer, guys have to respect him a little more
• On the new players - Pretty cool, it's a good group
• On Mike Lukashewich - His 2nd practice was yesterday. Coach likes him. He plays defense and he can shoot. He's going to help us out.
• On the difference with having more bodies at practice: It's definitely going to be a big difference. Practice was getting really tough, trying to simulate a game at practice, and guys were just getting worn out. This will give guys a break.

Carlos Morris
• We r just trying to get better and more big 10 play
• (On not getting upset by NC teams like other B1G teams) Coach P gets on us like, "you don't want to be in that position." You could lose to anybody.
• Once our defense gets started our offense is going to come, we've got great guys.
• On getting anxious to start Big 10 play - definitely. Not knocking any of these teams, but it's time for that competition.
• It started out with practice, I'm trying to be a better guy at practice, trying to talk more at practice. I worked out communicating with my guys. If someone gives me a good pass, I tell them "good pass," it's just the little things.
• Coach P tells me to shoot when I'm open

Mike Lukashewich
• I did not want to play college basketball because I didn't want to jeopardize my academics
• My major is sports management
• I decided to try out because I had been working out all summer, and if it worked out, I said it worked out and if they didn't need me it was okay. I'm thankful for the opportunity.
• On who he recruited by - only small D2 and D3 schools.
• Earlier this Christmas break, I got called back for practice, but it wasn't for sure yet. I had tried out earlier.
• It gave me chills, I'm thankful that Coach gave me the opportunity, I just want to take care of my business. I was nervous at 1st.
• His Dad came to the game today - he was excited for me. It wasn't my intention to be on the team.

Gaston
• On what it was like when he wasn't with the team: It was really different, to because it was like 3 months. I watched pratice, but not doing nothing. Now I can give a hand, and that's what I want to do this year.
• On getting into games before the B1G: I have to work out though, I have to get better every day. That's my objective right now.
• I knew him before I got here (on Bakary)
• On how anxious he was during the past semester: It was hell. It was really hell. But right now, I forget the past.
• On what Pitino has told him about getting into the game: I have to be patient, work out hard and improve every day. He wants me to defend, talking, rebounding and be patient for the next 3 months.
• It was really hard, but I'm here now and I'm really excited.
• On if he thinks he'll get in during the next game: That's my objective.*

Richard Pitino:
• I'm very excited about that performance top to bottom. Our sense of entitlement, or lack of, was great. These guys sense that they're getting better as a team. A lot of really good things to take from it.
• We don't have an ego as a team, no sense of entitlement. Who are we to look down on opponents? What have we accomplished to do that? That's not the mindset of me or the team.
• On Morris: I asked him why he wasn't shooting open 3's, if you're open, bombs away. He's done a great job of taking good shots. The next step for him is communication, he's really really quiet. We do a drill in practice where you have to call out a guy's name, and he's quiet.
• Our guys are individually getting a lot better. I'm excited about the direction of this team.
• We stopped pressing in the 2nd half. It starts with DeAndre and Andre, they learned a lot from that Louisville game, playing a top 5 team.
• Mo Walker he was really good, so we Elliott. Bakary is getting better, I think all three of them have been pushing themselves.
• On Mike - He had gotten 3 days of practice. I'm not real tough, everyone has to practice at least once before I play them, maybe I'm a stickler. Everyone wanted me to play Gaston, but I have to see him practice 1st. We hoped he's be on the team in September, but he's way behind. He's got a way to go. This is an uphill battle for him, but I'm happy he's in.
• Mike contests shots great, we were laughing about it. He gets blocked shots. He's got long arms. I like all of our walk-ons, I like Darren as well. He was originally supposed to play at St. Thomas, and I guess he didn't like it. I haven't talked to him much, I need to get to know him. Darren is a transfer, so he's not eligible to play this year because he's a transfer, he's lightning fast. He and Mike could of played D2.
• We just threw these guys in, it's so early.
• Too many players now - maybe I'll run someone off again, laughing.
• Morris never had a sub, now Mike can sub for him.
• I really try to stay away from predicting the future. I have no idea. Tomorrow will be tough, I need to see him practice. I didn't want to play him, because if a guy loses his mind on the bball court, you don't want to burn a redshirt. We put him through a workout today. I didn't want to totally wear him out. Didn't scout him in person, only on film. He's been great, very respectful. He had a class during practice, so it's not like he's been able to watch practice. He's self-motivated, a very funny kid. Showed great maturity. His English may be better than Bakary's. Gas is probably ahead of him English wise.
• Joey King - if he could not foul on a block out, that would be great, and stare at the ref like he didn’t do it. I told the ref to explain it to him, since he's not listening to me.

Deandre - he's getting a high number of assists. He is trying to get assists. As we get going, we need him to be an offensive threat as well. I like Andre and Carlos on the wing. He's expanded his game, but we still need him to score.

Good stuff. Especially liked the dig at King towards the end.. he likes to give subtle shots to his players post game.. but not in a mean spirit. Also, I think the comment on Gas being ahead of Bakary's may be a dig at the U admissions..

Either way.. like where this team is headed

Time to turn the page, Richard. Stick with and do what you do very well, coaching basketball.

Time to turn the page, Richard. Stick with and do what you do very well, coaching basketball.

Really? He's not aloud to make a satirical comment without being accused of dwelling?

Maybe he should tell you to turn the page on the scheduling issues?

I think Richard is just being the sarcastic guy we've all come to love, or at least most of us love that part of his character.

Question: do student-athletes have 8 semesters of eligibility? I.e. Can gaston come back during his fifth year, take the fall semester off, and then play the spring semester to exhaust his eligibility?

Not sure I understand.

I'm suggesting he quit taking his not so veiled shots at the university administrators. I understand there will be differences there, but he's more than made his point. Those kind of issues need to be hashed out behind closed doors, not in a public forum.

Love what I've seen from him so far as a basketball coach.

I'm suggesting he quit taking his not so veiled shots at the university administrators. I understand there will be differences there, but he's more than made his point. Those kind of issues need to be hashed out behind closed doors, not in a public forum.

I'm glad to hear that SS- I was starting to wonder. I get what you are saying and there is a fine line here. It appears he thinks that they could have given Gaston the benefit of the doubt and didn't and that has to make any coach mad when you are working year around to search for a competitive squad. On the other hand you have to be careful not to get a divide going between the admissions folks and athletics. All I know is that he coaches a fun brand of basketball and recruits hard and guys are improving. Start fixing the abysmal home schedule and we are in for some very enjoyable years ahead. I'm totally with you on the schedule- right now you can't give the tickets away to these games they are playing and that's too bad.

It was a fair final shot at a subjective test that might depend as much on which person is delivering the test. And since I had several Econ and Computer classes taught by people that couldn't speak any english at the U and basically had to have a TA translate their lectures...I think its total BS and I'm with Coach.

Pitino post game presser: Needs to see Gaston practice at least once before ...

I think is time for you stop with your pompous, holier than thou attitude towards Richard. Again, I am sure you didn't listen to this press conference either. It looks like you are basing your jabs at the coach based upon other people's comments or interpretation of what he says than what he actually does say.

I really like Richard's dry sense of humor and how he will actual answer a question instead of the typically coach speak you hear from everyone else.

His English may be better than Bakary's. Gas is probably ahead of him English wise.

Sounds like fraternity was just a troll.

I think is time for you stop with your pompous, holier than thou attitude towards Richard. Again, I am sure you didn't listen to this press conference either. It looks like you are basing your jabs at the coach based upon other people's comments or interpretation of what he says than what he actually does say.

I really like Richard's dry sense of humor and how he will actual answer a question instead of the typically coach speak you hear from everyone else.

SS and GW have more in common than you might think.

Love that

Could someone remind me what the book on Gaston was coming in? Wondering if he was thought to be an immediate difference maker, or if he's now a redshirt candidate given the current rotation and that he missed practice almost to the big ten season.

Are you talking about his remark that Gaston's English might be better than Konate's?

Could someone remind me what the book on Gaston was coming in? Wondering if he was thought to be an immediate difference maker, or if he's now a redshirt candidate given the current rotation and that he missed practice almost to the big ten season.

The sum total of what we know about him is that he can hurdle 4 chairs and dunk. Big mystery with this guy. Chances are he is an athletic guy who is also strong but raw in terms of experience. I wouldn't redshirt him. If he's bad he sucks up a scholly four years from now that we could have recruited with. If he's good- we need him now.

The sum total of what we know about him is that he can hurdle 4 chairs and dunk. Big mystery with this guy. Chances are he is an athletic guy who is also strong but raw in terms of experience. I wouldn't redshirt him. If he's bad he sucks up a scholly four years from now that we could have recruited with. If he's good- we need him now.

He's also 20/21 years old. Probably not going to last four years no matter what. On post game on Friday, one thing Richard said was that it would be irresponsible of him to play him and take off the red shirt if he is not ready to play, thus the not playing him until he actually practices. Visually, the guy is a monster. He's huge. Definitely a needed big body, but there is no evidence he is ready to play.

Question: do student-athletes have 8 semesters of eligibility? I.e. Can gaston come back during his fifth year, take the fall semester off, and then play the spring semester to exhaust his eligibility?

Once the clock starts, a D1 student athlete has 5 years to play 4. This is my understanding. This differs from D3, where leaving school suspends the clock. I have a little experience with this, as my nephew is a hockey player and left school to play juniors, then returned to school. Don't know about FCS, D2 and if any of this differs for b-ball vs. hockey.

See below and give them a call, if you have specific questions. I called them half a dozen times and was speaking with someone within 2 minutes every time:

11b7wpt.png

Attachments

• NCAAClearingHouse.jpg
    NCAAClearingHouse.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 17

Really? He's not aloud to make a satirical comment without being accused of dwelling?

Maybe he should tell you to turn the page on the scheduling issues?

I think Richard is just being the sarcastic guy we've all come to love, or at least most of us love that part of his character.

Yep. I see he edited his original. I have appreciated SS's work on tourney projections in the past, but the whining as of late and the getting on his knee's for MSU has gotten old.

Yep. I see he edited his original. I have appreciated SS's work on tourney projections in the past, but the whining as of late and the getting on his knee's for MSU has gotten old.

Was not aware I've been discussing MSU a lot. Mostly about the non-conference home slate, as others have correctly pointed out, but even that I've toned it down the last couple weeks. I think we're all ready for the Big Ten season.

Some said he was a recruiting miss.

Others said he would be a great addition for the team in December. This chatter continued this month.

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson Dec 18
Pitino still waiting to hear on Diedhiou. If he passes, he's eligible right away. Word is he'll get some run. Pitino still high on. #gophers

Some folks were puzzled when he didn't play in the first game he was eligible to compete in.

Postgame, the confusion had an excuse: "he hadn't practiced...but the walk-on had a few practices, so that's why he played and Diedhiou didn't"

Nowadays... there's not anyone admitting it... but I suspect the recruiting miss thought pattern is entering the minds of more people.

Some said he was a recruiting miss.

Others said he would be a great addition for the team in December. This chatter continued this month.

Some folks were puzzled when he didn't play in the first game he was eligible to compete in.

Postgame, the confusion had an excuse: "he hadn't practiced...but the walk-on had a few practices, so that's why he played and Diedhiou didn't"

Nowadays... there's not anyone admitting it... but I suspect the recruiting miss thought pattern is entering the minds of more people.

Because he hasn't played yet after about 3 practices? Pitino has said that Gaston is a player that needs to be developed (as most big men do) and that he believes he will be a "very, very good player" - that's a quote. Might be coach speak- who knows. Watching Gaston in warmups (that's all we can do right now) you can tell that he has a Big 10 body and that he looks smooth and has a decent looking shot. Most 6-8 to 6-9 players are not going to step right on the floor and play big minutes- especially in the situation where he has missed a half season of practices. The recruiting miss is always possible, but there is no real evidence of it yet. There have been plenty of players that got few minutes their first year or were red shirted who went on to have really good Gopher careers. Right now- Charles Buggs, for example is starting to look less and less like a recruiting miss, it has taken some time but he is coming
along. Perhaps Gaston will have a similar path or perhaps he is ready to roll in a few week or maybe he is just lousy. None of us know. Right now I trust the coach on this- he has nailed it on a number of players so far- Mason, Morris, lil Dre and even the pickup of King look really good. Konate has a great future here. Right now Martin - who everyone was excited about appears to be his only serious miss so far.

None of us know.

Okie!

BTW, I wouldn't call Martin a miss. He could have been developed into a worthwhile player. Might have been a 'fit' issue... and issue around managing expectations... but wouldn't call him a 'serious miss'... can be a guy that rebounds and helps a team in the future. Just wasn't the right place and time for him at the U.

Top Bottom