AP and Coaches polls

IAGopherfan

Reaction score
Ok so with the CFP committee poll, these two polls are meaningless. What becomes of them? Do they keep doing them just because they always have and its something interesting to talk about? I am actually glad the CFP doesn't have its poll till midseason because otherwise they rely too much on the previous year and reputation. Someone must be pissed that they lost their thunder when it comes to ranking college football teams I would expect.

I don't believe there will be a postseason (cumulative for the year after the bowls) CFP poll. So the end of the year AP and Coaches polls will still be very important to #2-25.

Teams need to be ranked earlier in the year. CFB rankings don't appear until mid season.

Teams need to be ranked earlier in the year. CFB rankings don't appear until mid season.

I am sure it they will get looked at until the CFP poll comes out. But in the grand scheme of things those polls have no bearing on anything, unlike with the bcs system when they were taken into account. Like I said before I don't think the polls carry much weight till halfway through the season anyways.

NCAA tourney selection committee doesn't stop the coaches and AP from making polls.

NCAA tourney selection committee doesn't stop the coaches and AP from making polls.

I know it doesn't stop them and I know they will continue to make them, I was just pointing out that they are pretty much meaningless now.

I know it doesn't stop them and I know they will continue to make them, I was just pointing out that they are pretty much meaningless now.

The polls are little more than sorted lists of winning % with a lot of adjustments for regional voter bias. And you don't actually need voters to accomplish that.

They will still publish them because people want something in the preseason to talk about, and there is no CFP ranking for the first several weeks of the season.

The post-season polls still serve a niche too. College football fans crave an ill-conceived, meaningless benchmark for how good their season was.

With the BCS rankings gone, the is NO widely-cited ranking that utilizes any analytics at all. This is unfortunate, because a good analytical model could predict winners with far greater accuracy than a bunch of voters, coaches or fans can. It's just a matter of what data is used.

I suspect what works so nicely about the polls is that they suck. They are almost perfectly designed to breed "upsets". And people love that storyline. The polls are an essential component in that story.

I don't think any poll should be published until after week four. If we learned anything last season it's that the first three-four polls don't mean jack squat.

I don't think any poll should be published until after week four. If we learned anything last season it's that the first three-four polls don't mean jack squat.

Sir, I have met Jack Squat. I can assure you, you are not Jack Squat.

I don't believe there will be a postseason (cumulative for the year after the bowls) CFP poll. So the end of the year AP and Coaches polls will still be very important to #2-25.

That was my impression, too - that the final polls would be the AP and coaches. The CFP poll was so close to the traditional ones every week there is probably no need for it - just for a top ten to hype interest in the four at the top. Actually, if you merge the AP and coaches final polls you get the same final four - so no need for the elite 12 CFP at all. The polls go back to 1950 and 1936 and are an integral part of football history - I'd like to see them, and the bowl system, survive.

The preseason AP poll had Notre Dame Texas A*M, North Carolina, USC, South Carolina, Clemson, Washington and several others ranked based only on program reputation, or at least a blind assumption that these teams.would be good.

Some of these teams proved to be not quite as good as expected, or mediocre, and some were flat out awful, but sure enough they were ranked in the pre-season AP poll this year.

The polls should not rank the teams until week 5 at the earliest to eliminate this puffery that impacts everything later and punishes teams like Minnesota that prove it on the field.

Top Bottom