RB changes

Do you have anything to back this up? Makes no sense. He should be a true freshman (effectively he gray shirted) or at worst a redshirt freshman (because he enrolled but didn't play. This is the first I've heard an explanation like yours.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sacl/genrel/auto_pdf/ncaa-requirements.pdf

"When an individual becomes a Partial Qualifier and starts attending college as a full-time student, then he or she: *CAN receive an athletics scholarship immediately.
*CAN practice immediately.
*CANNOT compete for one full year. *Is granted THREE years of eligibility."

Do you have anything to back this up? Makes no sense. He should be a true freshman (effectively he gray shirted) or at worst a redshirt freshman (because he enrolled but didn't play. This is the first I've heard an explanation like yours.

Gopho already posted a response. The difference is he didn't effectively grey shirt as he was NOT cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse as a full qualifier. He was a partial qualifier. Because of that he loses a year - he now effectively has 4 to play 3, but can petition for a 5th year depending on his graduation (% toward) status.

I don't know where to find the links to back this up, but seems Gopho did or someone else will. I think this was all discussed in the "All things Jeff Jones" thread too. The distinction you are missing is that he was not a full qualifier (in the eyes of the NCAA).

Can't tell until they have gone through at least fall camp. I don't see any of them changing position early. We will not be short of people at either LB or safety either. The staff likes to recruit kids with the potential to play at more than one position, if they are not needed at the position they were recruited to.
I expect Smith or Jones to be the starter by midseason, although if Edwards can stay healthy he could get a lot of carries as well. Kill likes both Smith and Jones a lot.

I'll bet the coaches will decide who stays at RB and who changes position. Just my opinion.

Can't tell until they have gone through at least fall camp. I don't see any of them changing position early. We will not be short of people at either LB or safety either. The staff likes to recruit kids with the potential to play at more than one position, if they are not needed at the position they were recruited to.
I expect Smith or Jones to be the starter by midseason, although if Edwards can stay healthy he could get a lot of carries as well. Kill likes both Smith and Jones a lot.

I expect it to be more of a RB by committee next year and I'm fine with it. Get several guys carries early on and ride the hot hand.

I'll bet the coaches will decide who stays at RB and who changes position. Just my opinion.

Great post. Why someone takes the 10 second effort to post something like this is beyond my little think box's comprehension.

Great post. Why someone takes the 10 second effort to post something like this is beyond my little think box's comprehension.

I couldn't agree with you more. These people should spend their time posting on "Dr.Don's Predict The Score" sting.

Based on a quick scan of the internet, partial qualifiers get 4 years to play 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're all really surprised by who the starting back is next year. I think Williams and Edwards will have a role next year but someone else will ultimately end up the featured back.

Based on a quick scan of the internet, partial qualifiers get 4 years to play.

Wasn't Jones an NCAA qualifier, but didn't meet the U's entrance requirements without a waiver? Lry

I'm not sure where sarcasm begins and ends here or if there is any but

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post

The reason is pretty clear to me. The thread is ridiculous. (Something to talk about, speculate about sure) The freshman running backs have not even signed yet, never mind being on campus. Jeff Jones is our highest rated recruit but he hasn't even practiced yet. R. Williams has been buried in the doghouse during his time here. (Will he be next year too?) B Edwards hardly got any carries and is pretty little...long term isn't he more likely to survive on the edge or in open space or do the coaches see him as an every down back? Smith has practiced and some reports say he's better than Jones? But none of these guys has played much or certainly has not been counted on to be THE GUY on this team. So add the freshman and there are so many unknowns that we don't have knowledge about or control over and it's pretty easy to see why somebody would say...enough, it's the coaches who will decide. AND, the coaches may have an idea what will happen,
but even they don't know the answers to all these questions either. It's gotta run the course. Pretty easy to see why somebody would be frustrated or bored with the thread. There are no answers to these questions. Knowing that,
I still read the doggone opinions and worse, offer to add my own nonsense to it.

There's no such thing as a partial qualifier in Division 1 -- at least not since 2005. Now, you either qualify or you don't. If you don't, then you can't participate in any team events, including practices. Thus the reason Jeff Jones did nothing with the team this fall. I have no idea what that means for eligibility, but let's clear up that misnomer at least.

There's no such thing as a partial qualifier in Division 1 -- at least not since 2005. Now, you either qualify or you don't. If you don't, then you can't participate in any team events, including practices. Thus the reason Jeff Jones did nothing with the team this fall. I have no idea what that means for eligibility, but let's clear up that misnomer at least.

Probably true - I mentioned earlier I didn't know what the "special situation" Jeff qualified for was called, but he qualified for something. He was not a full qualifier academically, couldn't participate in team practices, etc. this year, had access to tutors, etc. and will have 4 to play 3 - with the possibility of petitioning for a 5th year based on graduation progress. Someone less lazy then me can do the searches on what this was called. Was discussed in detail in GH threads, PP, Strib, etc.

My best speculation is Rodrick, Rodney, and Jeff, with Berkley will be our RB featured look going into next season unless someone underwhelms or overwhelms. This will eventually sort itself out by B1G play.

If Jonathan Femi-Cole, James Johannesson, Shannon Brooks, or Colton Beebe dazzle it might be very difficult to RS them.

I expect the playbook repertoire to expand now that the O-Line & Mitch have more experience.

Berkley is due for a breakout season as an outside speed threat running or catching the ball. If he can learn to be patient and wait for blocking or see small seams opening before they close, he can be a game changer that we were hoping he will become.

This season is the most fun I have had in years watching Gopher football. The running game in particular. They are a much feared opponent not to be taken lightly as Nebraska found out. The Gophers are all hustle from whistle to whistle.

FB is a critical position for the Gopher's running attack & protection scheme, I can see Colton auditioning to remain at that spot, or even James Johannesson for that matter.

We'll find out come Spring & Fall practices.

The best players will play if JK remains true to his word.

This has been a Kill hallmark. Even when it doesn't appear logical, he'll take the redshirt off a kid. It does set-up an odd dynamic with our classes sometimes, as next year we will have 6 sophomore LBs on scholarship, but only 1 CB and 1 Safety.

Probably true - I mentioned earlier I didn't know what the "special situation" Jeff qualified for was called, but he qualified for something. He was not a full qualifier academically, couldn't participate in team practices, etc. this year, had access to tutors, etc. and will have 4 to play 3 - with the possibility of petitioning for a 5th year based on graduation progress. Someone less lazy then me can do the searches on what this was called. Was discussed in detail in GH threads, PP, Strib, etc.

OK - I found it in some blogs from Marcus back in November. He received a partial approval of an "initial eligibility waiver". Here is an excerpt from the NCAA document on initial eligibility waivers...

Partial Approvals.
The staff is granted the authority to partially approve waivers of initial-eligibility requirements in those circumstances that do not meet the criteria for either approval or denial.
<b>(1) Partial Approvals for Athletically Related Financial Aid Only. When a student-athlete's academic record, based on the use of data analysis noted, does not project a likelihood of academic success during the initial year of full-time collegiate enrollment, but there are mitigating circumstances present to warrant a partial waiver of initial-eligibility requirements, a waiver may be partially approved to permit the receipt of athletically related financial aid only.</b>
(2) Partial Approvals for Athletically Related Financial Aid and Practice. When a student-athlete's academic record, based on the use of data analysis noted, demonstrates a likelihood of academic success during the initial year of full-time collegiate enrollment, and there are mitigating circumstances present to warrant a partial waiver of initial-eligibility requirements, a waiver may be partially approved for athletically related financial aid and practice.

I could not find where it discussed years of playing eligibility in this document, but do recall the discussion last November - can't practice with team, can get academic assistance (tutors, etc.), and will have 4 years to play 3. There was also the discussion of petitioning for a 5th year. I couldn't find the documentation about that either. Perhaps someone more skilled at these searches and documents could help....

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post

The reason is pretty clear to me. The thread is ridiculous. (Something to talk about, speculate about sure) The freshman running backs have not even signed yet, never mind being on campus. Jeff Jones is our highest rated recruit but he hasn't even practiced yet. R. Williams has been buried in the doghouse during his time here. (Will he be next year too?) B Edwards hardly got any carries and is pretty little...long term isn't he more likely to survive on the edge or in open space or do the coaches see him as an every down back? Smith has practiced and some reports say he's better than Jones? But none of these guys has played much or certainly has not been counted on to be THE GUY on this team. So add the freshman and there are so many unknowns that we don't have knowledge about or control over and it's pretty easy to see why somebody would say...enough, it's the coaches who will decide. AND, the coaches may have an idea what will happen,
but even they don't know the answers to all these questions either. It's gotta run the course. Pretty easy to see why somebody would be frustrated or bored with the thread. There are no answers to these questions. Knowing that,
I still read the doggone opinions and worse, offer to add my own nonsense to it.
Really?... Well if you want to get rid of all speculation, we'll have to remove half the posts on here. But hey, if ripping people for wanting to participate in the forum makes you feel superior, glad I could help... : )

From NCAA site, sorry tried to link butmI'm on phone:

Non-qualifier: Non-qualifiers do not meet the academic requirements listed above. Non-qualifiers cannot practice or compete for their college or university during their first year of college. They cannot receive an athletics scholarship during their first year of college, but they may receive need-based financial aid. They can play only three seasons in their sport if they maintain eligibility from year to year (to earn a fourth season they must complete at least 80 percent of their degree before beginning their fifth year of college).

Top Bottom