RB changes

Lordshawesome

Reaction score
At last count, we will have around 9 RBs on the roster headed into next season. So one would assume that position changes are due to occur. I known that coach Kill is from the same coaching tree as Gary Patterson in TCU. Patterson is well knows for turning RBs, WRs, etc., into Linebackers, DBs, and the like, so I would guess Kill is looking to do the same. So, who of the 9 RBs are most likely to see a position change?

How many of those 9 will be redshirted though?

Great questions, OP.

Because I have not idea, my answer is "we develop a few plays with 9 running backs and a QB, The Golden Decuple Option (had to look that one up.) Highly illegal formation, but it will impressive, nonetheless.

7 on scholarship, only 3 non true frosh on schollie
SR
Nugget - will definitely stay at RB

JR
none

Soph
Berk - definitely RB or maybe a really short slot WR at some point

RS FR
Smith - haven't heard of any potential moves and don't know if he has DB level speed/quickness but he's basically safety size

True FR
Jones - RB
Brooks - RB because I don't think he's athletic enough to move elsewhere
Femi Cole - could easily see him at LB or even FB
Johanssen - I'd actually prefer him as an LB

Ya, johanssen & Femni-Cole were my prime suspects. They both already are 220 lbs. or more. We could use a couple LBs with RB speed back there. And I've said before, I'd love to see Berkeley Edwards in K.J. Maye's role.

SR

JR
none

Soph

RS FR
Smith - haven't heard of any potential moves and don't know if he has DB level speed/quickness but he's basically safety size

True FR
Jones - RB
Johanssen - I'd actually prefer him as an

Oops, butchered my last post attempt (stupid smart phone). We have 7 scholy RBs. But also parks & kirsch as walk ons, correct?

Great questions, OP.

Because I have not idea, my answer is "we develop a few plays with 9 running backs and a QB, The Golden Decuple Option (had to look that one up.) Highly illegal formation, but it will impressive, nonetheless.

Hope that doesn't have anything to do with Golden Shower's wife.........

Help me out. I seem to remember something being written about Jones' class. Will be be considered a true frosh next fall?

SR

JR
none

Soph

RS FR

True FR
Jones - RB
Johanssen - I'd actually prefer him as an

Jeff Jones won't be a true freshman. He'll either be a RS FR or a SO. Brooks better be able to play elsewhere. You don't put your least athletic players at RB.

Jeff Jones won't be a true freshman. He'll either be a RS FR or a SO. Brooks better be able to play elsewhere. You don't put your least athletic players at RB.

Exactly. I see Jones running with the feature back role. We still have nugget and Edwards. That still leaves a LOT of RBs. Personally, I see Johansen & Femni-cole... Already at 220, RB speed, before coack Klein even gets his hands on them... I think they could be developed into devastating bookends, at OLB.

Femi-Cole has running back written all over him. Does not have the length to play LB.

Sure you do. Cobb, Kirkwood and Nugget aren't exactly our best athletes on the team. I do however believe Brooks is athletic enough to play somewhere else not that he necessarily will.

Femi-Cole has running back written all over him. Does not have the length to play LB.

I'm with you. Also, looking at his measurables (gawd, I hate that I typed that), he could be a true diamond in the rough.

Run him at RB until he proves he can't, and I think he will prove that he can be a hell of a RB.

Jones will be in his first year of eligibility of 4. Being that he wasn't eligible this year he wasn't redshirting. So yes, Jones will be a true freshman. Also, you can absolutely har RBs not athletic enough to play elsewhere. Brooks is about 5'11 and built well but he's not real fast. He's not fast enough to play DB nor big enough to play LB so your statement doesn't really make sense. Cobb is built well for an RB but is about 10-15lbs small for an LB and is also only about 5'11 an not fast enough for safety. That doesn't make him unathletic, it just means he doesn't have the body type or athleticism o play elsewhere

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Shannon Brooks ends up being a better running back at the U than "the specimen" Femi Cole. All we have to go off are their hudl films but IMO Brooks has the better instincts/vision and was playing against better defenses. He runs like a maniac and the feet keep churning. I love it.

Jeff Jones is in a class by himself, athletically. So he'll be starting for at least two years unless catastrophe. Edwards has the quicks but lacks the instincts at this level. I'm not ready to write him off yet but in limited action it's been rough and his hands are suspect. Without good hands I don't know where he fits.

Nugget is on the **** list. What else is there to say. I think we'd all like to see him come in and run people over more often but the coaches are obviously not sold for unknown reasons.

Johannesson is intriguing. He looks like a gawl darn football player. Like Colton Beebe. I think we see where he fits and if he can make plays at this level. I'm not going to write him off because he's white.

Rodney smith looks like a player. I've loved this guy since he committed and he could be a really, really good back for us.

We have a cornucopia of good players. Some of them might move around but I'll leave that to the defensive coaches to see who has the skills.

I doubt Femi-Cole stays at RB. The kid attended a ton of camps this summer, and didn't get any other offers at RB. I think he's a strong safety or OLB for us in 2 years.

Eligibility clock starts when you enroll so last year was effectively his redshirt year.

He will be a sophomore next year and under his special circumstances will only be granted a 5th year of eligibility if he is at least 80% complete with his degree after his fourth year. That is my understanding at least.

I doubt Femi-Cole stays at RB. The kid attended a ton of camps this summer, and didn't get any other offers at RB. I think he's a strong safety or OLB for us in 2 years.

We have one 5-11 OLB and zero 220 pound safeties on our roster....

A fast 220 lb safety would be awesome. Or get them to 230-235 & that's a fast LB.

He will be a sophomore next year and under his special circumstances will only be granted a 5th year of eligibility if he is at least 80% complete with his degree after his fourth year. That is my understanding at least.

This. JJ only has three years of eligibility left as a 'partial qualifier' (or whatever they call it). He effectively "played" last year. However, as die hard stated, he can petition for an additional year (not unlike a petition to count a year as a medical RS year - think Kim Royston) based on where he stands towards his degree after his final year.

This. JJ only has three years of eligibility left as a 'partial qualifier' (or whatever they call it). He effectively "played" last year. However, as die hard stated, he can petition for an additional year (not unlike a petition to count a year as a medical RS year - think Kim Royston) based on where he stands towards his degree after his final year.

Do you have anything to back this up? Makes no sense. He should be a true freshman (effectively he gray shirted) or at worst a redshirt freshman (because he enrolled but didn't play. This is the first I've heard an explanation like yours.

I believe you have five years to finish four years of playing before you need to petition.

Redshirt most or all of the incoming kids and then we don't need to recruit any RBs next year and we can focus our attention elsewhere. For the better part of a decade after Barber/Maroney we didn't have a B1G caliber back I love where we are at now. It'll all shake out over time.

My best speculation is Rodrick, Rodney, and Jeff, with Berkley will be our RB featured look going into next season unless someone underwhelms or overwhelms. This will eventually sort itself out by B1G play.

If Jonathan Femi-Cole, James Johannesson, Shannon Brooks, or Colton Beebe dazzle it might be very difficult to RS them.

I expect the playbook repertoire to expand now that the O-Line & Mitch have more experience.

Berkley is due for a breakout season as an outside speed threat running or catching the ball. If he can learn to be patient and wait for blocking or see small seams opening before they close, he can be a game changer that we were hoping he will become.

This season is the most fun I have had in years watching Gopher football. The running game in particular. They are a much feared opponent not to be taken lightly as Nebraska found out. The Gophers are all hustle from whistle to whistle.

FB is a critical position for the Gopher's running attack & protection scheme, I can see Colton auditioning to remain at that spot, or even James Johannesson for that matter.

We'll find out come Spring & Fall practices.

The best players will play if JK remains true to his word.

Well, I wish you guys would hurry up and decide what positions these guys will be playing. I am sure Kill wants know soon so he can move them to the right spots and take advantage of the extra practices we have for the bowl game....lol

Top Bottom