College basketball trivia, names/teams from the past

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
No Googling allowed. ...

What school did Ansu Sesay lead to the NCAA Tournament?

Bonus question. ... What famous tournament game was Sesay a part of?

VT

No Googling allowed. ...

Was he a Catamount?

Nevermind, I was thinking of Germain Mopa Njila.

I was thinking SEC initially, so the hint gives it away - Ole Miss, who lost to Valpo on the Bryce Drew buzzer beater, one of the coolest NCAA moments I can remember.

I was thinking SEC initially, so the hint gives it away - Ole Miss, who lost to Valpo on the Bryce Drew buzzer beater, one of the coolest NCAA moments I can remember.

DWG is correct, Ole Miss. One of the most clutch plays (not just by the player but the coach) in NCAA tourney history by Valpo. Former Twins announcer Ted Robinson was doing the play by play for CBS, and he was too dumb to figure out it was a special-situation set play called by Homer Drew. Robinson's initial reaction was it was a fluke. That play was no fluke!

Last trivia for today: You be the judge

This one should come a little easier. ...

His nickname was "The Judge", he toiled in the Midwest, he was a little chubby, but man this guy could ball. Who is he?

DWG is correct, Ole Miss. One of the most clutch plays (not just by the player but the coach) in NCAA tourney history by Valpo. Former Twins announcer Ted Robinson was doing the play by play for CBS, and he was too dumb to figure out it was a special-situation set play called by Homer Drew. Robinson's initial reaction was it was a fluke. That play was no fluke!

This is one of those plays that I will never forget. I remember sitting in my 4th floor North, Pioneer Hall dorm room watching march madness during spring 1998 with my roommate and a few other guys. The Bryce Drew play happens and we were all going berzerk! My roommate jumped up so fast he hit his head on the lofted bed above him! One of the most memorable NCAA tourney game finishes ever! Man, do I love march madness...

This is one of those plays that I will never forget. I remember sitting in my 4th floor North, Pioneer Hall dorm room watching march madness during spring 1998 with my roommate and a few other guys. The Bryce Drew play happens and we were all going berzerk! My roommate jumped up so fast he hit his head on the lofted bed above him! One of the most memorable NCAA tourney game finishes ever! Man, do I love march madness...

That was a classic. Even if he misses that shot, the execution was right on the money, but of course we wouldn't be talking about it if Bryce Drew misses the shot!

His nickname was "The Judge", he toiled in the Midwest, he was a little chubby, but man this guy could ball. Who is he?

The description sounds like Mark Aguire of DePaul, but I don't remember the nickname of "The Judge" being used for him. I was pretty yougn then, though.

I believe you are referring to one Antoine Joubert of Michigan.

We have a winner. The Judge was fun to watch, but he would have benefited playing in today's times, without the short shorts. Baggy pants would have been a much better look for him.

"Let's see what ya got fat boy" Scott Skiles to AJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a winner. The Judge was fun to watch, but he would have benefited playing in today's times, without the short shorts. Baggy pants would have been a much better look for him.

True, but frankly I was too distracted by the jerry curls to notice the shorts.

The description sounds like Mark Aguire of DePaul, but I don't remember the nickname of "The Judge" being used for him. I was pretty yougn then, though.

Was fortunate enough to see Aguirre and Isiah Thomas play as preps in the same (1978) Illinois State Basketball Tournament, Aguirre for Westinghouse and Thomas for St. Joseph. Needless to say, they both stood out. Ironically, neither of 'em won the title that year. That went to undefeated Lockport.

"Let's see what ya got fat boy" Scott Skiles to AJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely can see Skiles saying that. Skiles was a confident, cocky, tough SOB of a player.

No Googling allowed. ...

I recall it was a mid major... was it GW?

crap I was wrong. Half right at least

He was the first guy I remember who seemed to have spent more than 4 years at a college. It felt like he was there about 8 years.

Another trivia question:

Can anyone name (without the use of Ask Jeeves, Yahoo, Bing or a similar engine) the former scoring machine from a Big 8 team that was famous for wearing a band-aid for no reason, and putting 25 packets of sugar in his iced tea?

Another trivia question:

Can anyone name (without the use of Ask Jeeves, Yahoo, Bing or a similar engine) the former scoring machine from a Big 8 team that was famous for wearing a band-aid for no reason, and putting 25 packets of sugar in his iced tea?

That would be Derrick "Band Aid" Chievous.

Top Bottom