Time Magazine: College Football Top 25, Ranked By Academics (MN #21)

Ok, it's based on graduation rates. I had to stop and scratch my head for a second when I saw the list and didn't finish the article.

Something tells me that if you're a football player at Alabama getting good grades is not a challenge.

Something tells me that if you're a football player at Alabama getting good grades is not a challenge.
I would guess that football players at the top 25 are all pretty equal student athletes. The difference is probably more about the difficulty of the courses at a particular university. The tougher classes should result in a higher ranking, not a lower one.

This is the dumbest academic ranking I've ever seen. We were top 5 in APR last year and 2nd in the B1G in academic all-conference members 2 years running and we're 10 spots behind Mississippi friggin' State?!

This is the dumbest academic ranking I've ever seen.

Its funny. The writer, and everyone at New America clearly do not understand what the GSR is for. This is like watching someone try to use an apple as a screwdriver.

The GSR is to encourage fidelity between an institution's athletics and academics WITHIN the institution. It is to keep programs from granting scholarships to recruits who have no hope of successfully passing classes at the institution and progressing towards graduation. The GSR is more challenging the more competitive the institution is.

The GSR shouldn't be much of a consideration for "easy" schools. It should be be even less of a consideration when they have plenty of recruiting advantages (ie Alabama) and rarely need to accept any recruits who are "academic risks".

For TCU's football team to be ranked so high should actually be an embarrassment to the school's academics. They have highly-gifted athletes, many if whom were likely deemed too academically risky by the traditional powerhouse programs in the region. Nonetheless, the team's players are progressing towards graduation with few problems. Obviously TCU is easy. Or, they show preference towards athletes. Neither are good things to be accused of.

So what good is this "ranking"?

Top Bottom