All things TAILGATING in Orlando

There are a number of city controlled garages and surface lots in Downtown Orlando near I-4 and the Amway Center (Orlando Magic) about 1.5 miles from the Citrus Bowl. There is a free shuttle that runs from this area before, during and after the game. The cost to park on the street might be free and the cost in most of the garages is $10. The boarding point is allegedly 78 West Central Parkway, but I am trying to confirm that, now. This for me is a better solution than paying $32 to drive into a congested area to park, when I have little time for traditional tailgating. (10:18AM arrival at airport)

I am trying to verify the pickup points, but I think this is a better deal than parking at the stadium if you are on a tight schedule and cannot tailgate and arrive before 10 AM in the lots. The arena is just west of I-4, an just north of the E/W tollway that leads to the Citrus Bowl, but most of the bar/restaurant district, and main downtown is just east of I-4.

I plan to park in one of the garages/ramps, grab a couple of beers downtown if the airport trip goes well, and jump on the shuttle for the 5 minute or so ride west to the Citrus bowl.

I see there is a Minnesota Marching Band event scheduled at 11.55 at some pavilion near the stadium. Does anyone know if this is near the Lorna Doone Park where the UMAA tailgate is?

I am hoping to walk from the hotel - downtown doubletree - am I being unrealistic??

I have heard that by at least "Disney" standards, the area west of downtown is sort of "in the hood" and dangerous, soMidwestern bowl tourist types tend to fear it. By Chicago, Detroit, or even Minneapolis standards Orlando is assuredly mild, I'd probably not worry about it and be willing to take the walk to downtown Orlando from the Citrus Bowl, after even a very late night game.

Regardless of anything else, there allegedly is a free shuttle from downtown Orlando, originating from the Amway Center/ I-4, Church Street Station district, which is what I am going to ride. unless all hell breaks loose at the airport and I get delayed.

The walk to the Citrus Bowl from Downtown is under 20 minutes if you are a fast walker. Worst case you can offer the alleged street thugs a couple of 40 ouncers, and they will move on. (for the PC crowd that was just a joke)

Oakstreet are you flying in on the morning suncountry flight from MSP? If so, I am too and was just hoping we could grab a total of 3-4 other gopher fans and pile into a mini van taxi and cab it over to the tailgate.

Should be fairly easy to coordinate while on the plane/getting off the plane.

This "Lot 9", where do i go to find if there is availability? I don't see it available on the click and park page.

stubhub_603838_Florida_Citrus_Bowl_Parking_Lots_Parking[1].jpg

It's on the southeast side of S Rio Grande Av & Colyer St. Approximately 2 blocks southeast of the Stadium. There should be a very respectable Gopher contingency there from all over the country. I have a couple questions:
1) What time are people getting there?
2) Can I (and others) donate to someone's tailgate? I know it takes a lot of planning and supplies. "Minnesota Nice" rules dictate helping in some way, but with travelling, bringing food/beverages as an offering isn't possible.

We are in Lot L as well. Hoping we can get by with plastic cups and a few adult beverages.

View attachment 3255

It's on the southeast side of S Rio Grande Av & Colyer St. Approximately 2 blocks southeast of the Stadium. There should be a very respectable Gopher contingency there from all over the country. I have a couple questions:
1) What time are people getting there?
2) Can I (and others) donate to someone's tailgate? I know it takes a lot of planning and supplies. "Minnesota Nice" rules dictate helping in some way, but with travelling, bringing food/beverages as an offering isn't possible.

This is what I am thinking, our group is just looking for a place where we can hang out and have. Few bevies with Gopher fans. If we show up to lot 9 with a token of appreciation and a supply of cordials, will we be welcomed with open arms and a place to stand?

That is great news to hear from an overall UMAA pre-game party/tailgate participation standpoint. Not that you missed it before it sounds like it sold out though. Sorry to hear that.

Perhaps try that Lot 9 that other's have mentioned? Or I am sure there will be other lots and general plaza type areas around the stadium that have plenty of Gopher fans milling around. Best of luck. Ski-U-Mah!

I just made a reservation for two on the UMAA website, so it looks like space is again available.

I am hoping to walk from the hotel - downtown doubletree - am I being unrealistic??

I am staying at the Doubletree as well. It is a little bit of a hike as it is on the north side of Downtown. I believe it is about 2 miles from the Citrus bowl. Up to you, but my group plans on either walking to the free shuttle on Church Street or getting a cab via Uber or otherwise.

I just made a reservation for two on the UMAA website, so it looks like space is again available.

Thanks for the heads up, just booked it for my family of four.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anybody willing to take in a local Floridian (for the past three months anyway) and his friend (We're both fairly recent Gopher alums)? We are parking in lot M, which from what I understand doesn't allow alcohol and are looking for a place to set up camp before the game and hang with some fellow Gopher fans. I would be willing to chip in some brats from Lau's Meat Market in Waseca, Minn. that I just brought back with me from visiting my family. Obviously we would BYOB.

Top Bottom