2015 Nationalchamps.net Early Bird Top 25: TCU #1

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2015/earlybird/index.htm

Could the Gophers be hosting the top-ranked team in the country to open the 2015 season?

1. TCU
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State
5. Alabama

8. Michigan State
21. Wisconsin

Nationalchamps.net always releases its "early bird" Top 25 at the conclusion of the regular season, and over the last dozen years, has correctly predicted the following year's preseason #1 seven times, including 2009, when they nailed the Top 5. It does not factor in players who depart early for the NFL.

2003:
1. Ohio State (actual preseason rank #2)
2. Oklahoma (1)
3. Miami (3)
4. Texas (5)
5. Notre Dame (20)

2004:
1. Oklahoma (2)
2. Georgia (3)
3. USC (1)
4. LSU (4)
5. Texas (7)

2005:
1. USC (1)
2. Texas (2)
3. Michigan (4)
4. LSU (5)
5. Oklahoma (7)

2006:
1. Texas (3)
2. USC (6)
3. Notre Dame (2)
4. Ohio State (1)
5. LSU (8)

2007:
1. USC (1)
2. Michigan (5)
3. Ohio State (11)
4. LSU (2)
5. Oklahoma (8)

2008:
1. Ohio State (2)
2. Oklahoma (4)
3. Florida (5)
4. Georgia (1)
5. USC (3)

2009:
1. Florida (1)
2. Texas (2)
3. Oklahoma (3)
4. USC (4)
5. Alabama (5)

2010:
1. Alabama (1)
2. Ohio State (2)
3. Boise State (3)
4. Oregon (11)
5. Texas (5)

2011:
1. Oklahoma (1)
2. Alabama (2)
3. LSU (4)
4. Oregon (3)
5. Stanford (7)

2012:
1. LSU (3)
2. Alabama (2)
3. USC (1)
4. Oregon (5)
5. Oklahoma (4)

2013:
1. Alabama (1)
2. Stanford (4)
3. Oregon (3)
4. Georgia (5)
5. Texas A&M (7)

2014:
1. Florida State (1)
2. Auburn (6)
3. Alabama (2)
4. Oregon (3)
5. Oklahoma (5)

Makes no sense to have TCU number 1 with what osu has returning and I assume alabama. Top 5 for sure. I think they lose their AA lb and that's about it.

I can't see TCU being #1. They're not even in the playoffs this year. Also, Oregon, Florida St. and Baylor all lose very good QB's. Obviously the rest of the season could influence the rankings a little bit. My guess right now is:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St.
3. TCU
4. Oregon
5-10 are up in the air right now.

They only get six guys back on D but offensively they return all but one starter who is an O-lineman and get back every single skill guy. I don't think it's outrageous to have them #1. OSU loses 4 starters on D including All American Michael Bennett. Lose big time TE Jeff Heuerman, two most experienced receivers including Smith and an O-lineman so thats 7 returning starters according the the rivals depth chart at least. Decent but I'm not sure about #1. They will most likely get Noah Spence back however.

Well if TCU is #1 I would bet ESPN hypes the **** out of our game. Man would it feel good to win that game.

If TCU is top 5 and the Gophers impress vs Mizzou, could see College Gameday coming to TCF for sure

Put me in the camp that doesn't expect them to open at #1 but seems like a certainty they will be in the top 5. Going to be a heck of way to kick off the season with a top 5 team coming into TCF Bank Stadium. Those first 2 weeks next year have the potential to be a little dicey before things open up on a really nice long stretch where the potential to win most if not all of the games will be high.

if they're trying to predict a champ then sure because the B12 isn't real strong. That said right now its really hard to make any argument for anyone other than Bama or OSU as the best team going into next year. OSU can be even better especially if they're able to effectively use Miller as a Slash guy

Just beware that they don't archive their initial picks, and update the rankings later in the year. Real hard to trust the previous results, if you don't track changes throughout the year. Never the less, it's an interesting discussion.

Here are last years picks, and if you notice on the 2014 page they are now different:

Initial Post (12-19-2013, 01:55 PM):
http://nationalchamps.net/2014/earlybird/index.htm

Top 3:
1. Florida State
2. Alabama
3. Auburn

Big Ten teams:
6. Michigan State
8. Ohio State
24. Minnesota

Current page (updated July 29, 2014):
1. Florida State
2. Auburn
3. Alabama

4. Oregon
5. Oklahoma
6. Michigan State
7. Stanford
8. UCLA
9. South Carolina
10. Ohio State
11. Clemson
12. Louisiana State
13. UCF
14. Baylor
15. Southern California
16. Texas A&M
17. Missouri
18. Georgia
19. Ole Miss
20. Notre Dame
21. Duke
22. Louisville
23. Florida
24. Nebraska
25. Arizona State

If TCU is top 5 and the Gophers impress vs Mizzou, could see College Gameday coming to TCF for sure

Game's on a Thursday. Should be ESPN's marquee game though. South Carolina is playing North Carolina...only SEC team on Thursday.

Michigan at Utah
Washington at Boise either Thursday/Friday

Bet Jerry wishes he would have played the UNC series.

Would Gameday come to a Thursday night game?

I've never heard anything against this directly. Think they could make it a kickoff spectacular, do it on campus possibly, and have previews of the full season running all day. Same as the stuff they run typically leading up to it but I don't really know of any other game that's going to have hype like this if we get the job done vs Mizzou, TCU gets all their guys back, and nothing else drastic happens. Note: not privy to all of the games opening weekend, but would have to think this is easily the biggest

Disclaimer: I may be viewing this through maroon and gold tinged glasses

I've never heard anything against this directly. Think they could make it a kickoff spectacular, do it on campus possibly, and have previews of the full season running all day. Same as the stuff they run typically leading up to it but I don't really know of any other game that's going to have hype like this if we get the job done vs Mizzou, TCU gets all their guys back, and nothing else drastic happens. Note: not privy to all of the games opening weekend, but would have to think this is easily the biggest

Yeah, looking through that weekend's schedule it looks like there could be some fun games. Alabama vs. Wisconsin (though Alabama will cruise) and Texas vs. Notre Dame (neither team will likely be great but that'll draw huge interest with the Longhorns going up to South Bend) not to mention A&M vs. ASU.

Yeah, looking through that weekend's schedule it looks like there could be some fun games. Alabama vs. Wisconsin (though Alabama will cruise) and Texas vs. Notre Dame (neither team will likely be great but that'll draw huge interest with the Longhorns going up to South Bend) not to mention A&M vs. ASU.

Hopefully that will be the 3rd game in a row that Wisconsin is absolutely embarrassed on the football field (I say that with full knowledge of the recent history of our matchups and the acceptance that we may also be embarrassed on the field in week 1 next year...finding joy in epic badger losses surpasses any sort or logical argument).

Ah didn't know Bama-Sconny was that weekend. Well ****e

Gameday will not be at the U for Thursday night game...take it to the bank. They set up shop for Friday at site for Saturday games and would not have time to get ready

There may be a good chance that the game is on Fox Sports 1 and not an ESPN station.

There may be a good chance that the game is on Fox Sports 1 and not an ESPN station.

We're the home team so don't think it will be on Fox Sports 1. I don't think any Big Ten home games are on any other channel except ESPN, ABC, or BTN. My guess is it will be on ESPN or ESPN 2.

Gameday will not be at the U for Thursday night game...take it to the bank. They set up shop for Friday at site for Saturday games and would not have time to get ready

Just was thinking, first game of season, Gameday is constantly looking for ways to spice things up (going to NDSU, adding guest pickers that are celebs, etc.) so maybe this would be the one where they change it up. But I agree that it is about 999/1000 it is going elsewhere

Looking at those preview rankings... I'm more interested in knowing why the Gophers fall out of the top 25, than I am in TCU being #1.

Until the defending Champion is beaten, any and all projections are pointless. If FSU wins the playoff, and if Winston returns. What makes TCU anything more than a Big 12 team without a conference championship.

Until the defending Champion is beaten, any and all projections are pointless. If FSU wins the playoff, and if Winston returns. What makes TCU anything more than a Big 12 team without a conference championship.

I would put the odds on Winston spending next year at FSU at about 1,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 against it happening.

Top Bottom