Sid Hartman: Gophers able to build facillities for $150M, saving $40M

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

There is more hope the Gophers facilities project can be built sooner and for less money, for around $150 million. That total would be short of the original estimate of $190 million reported when the announcement was made for plans to build a football facility and academic building and to make other improvements to other sports buildings.

Apparently, the architects and other people working on the plans for the different projects found a way to get the original improvements done for less money.

Some $60 million has been raised so far, and the fundraising has some time to go. Land O Lakes did make a contribution of $25 million in September, with $21 million going to athletics and $15 million of that going toward construction of the 60,000-square-foot Center for Excellence in the new Athletics Village. Ground for that project is expected to be broken on the current site of the outdoor track in August.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/286173671.html

Go Gophers!!

"Meanwhile, one fan presented an idea that Mortenson, Kraus Anderson, Ryan and other top local construction companies get together, move up the timing, and build the Gophers football facility at cost to allow for continued good recruiting and a winning program, and to assure that coach Jerry Kill won’t leave."

Okay, which one of yous guys was it?

The basketball facility will be in phase I of this I hope??

Lol. They scrapped plans to raze & build new long ago, changing course to do cheaper remodeling instead.

Lol. They scrapped plans to raze & build new long ago, changing course to do cheaper remodeling instead.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Curiously you haven't mentioned this before.

Do you have any proof to substantiate your claim, or are you trolling as usual?

Curiously you haven't mentioned this before.

Do you have any proof to substantiate your claim, or are you trolling as usual?

He's a troll.

Notice, he never breaks news or divulges information before news comes forward. He always comments after the fact. Anything he says regarding future events is clouded in cryptic innuendo, conspiracy, or speculation so when he is wrong he can claim he was not wrong because he never gave a clear report or message.

Why he hasn't been banned is beyond me.

No word on the basketball practice facility from Sid. Or is it part of the Center for Excellence?

No word on the basketball practice facility from Sid. Or is it part of the Center for Excellence?

I wouldn't hold your breath. Pitino told Barreiro last night that he is satisfied with his current practice facilities in the Bierman Bldg for now. He said U Conn doesn't doesn't have their own practice facility and they are doing ok. Pitino made it very clear that he will not be demanding his own practice facility anytime soon. He said he hasn't earned the right to make those kinds of demands. He suggested that it might take 700 wins for him to get that kind of credibility and influence. I guess it comes as no surprise that the football practice facility seems to have jumped ahead of the basketball facility on the priority list.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Pitino told Barreiro last night that he is satisfied with his current practice facilities in the Bierman Bldg for now. He said U Conn doesn't doesn't have a separate practice facility and they are doing ok. Pitino made it very clear that he will not be demanding his own practice building anytime soon. I guess it comes as no surprise that the football practice facility seems to have jumped ahead of the basketball facility on the priority list.

In fairness, Pitino is making use of the current football practice facility throwing fly routes to Konate.

In more seriousness, I wonder if after some of Tubby's complaining, Woody said to Pitino "hey, we don't have a practice facility, we are working on a facilities plan, but we don't want to hear any public whining, or else your boys will be practicing on the ice in the girls' hockey rink at Ridder." Total speculation on my part. Either way, I like this approach from Pitino. Two things you can do: go to work with what you've got or complain about what you don't. I think he made the right choice. Also like him pointing out UConn. They've had some ok teams.

basketball facility on the priority list.

I head the interview and I don't think it's believe it has moved down on the priority list, but we will find out soon enough. It's on Norwood to push for this, it's not something Pitino needs to publicly concern himself with. Pitino said he isn't in the position to piss and moan about not having a new facility, no question he wants one.

60m raised, groundbreaking a little over 1/2 a year away!

Keep up the good work and keep it moving Norwood!!!!

I head the interview and I don't think it's believe it has moved down on the priority list, but we will find out soon enough. It's on Norwood to push for this, it's not something Pitino needs to publicly concern himself with. Pitino said he isn't in the position to piss and moan about not having a new facility, no question he wants one.

I agree 100% with this. The coaches shouldn't be lobbying publicly for new facilities. They can help fundraise in private, obviously push hard on the AD, but it serves no one's interest to have a HC forced to talk about the need for better facilities all the time. It sends the wrong message and isn't part of the HC's main priorities.

Go Gophers!!

$60 million is less that one third of the way to the $190 million goal. Jerry Kill never misses an opportunity to lobby for a new football practice facility. He wants to break ground on it next April. Who is going to bet against him getting his way? Not me. I am now betting that the basketball facility comes after the football and athletic education/training table projects.

$60 million is less that one third of the way to the $190 million goal. Jerry Kill never misses an opportunity to lobby for a new football practice facility. He wants to break ground on it next April. Who is going to bet against him getting his way? Not me. I am now betting that the basketball facility comes after the football and athletic education/training table projects.

Who would have dreamed we would have been able to raise 60mil by now...?

Two years ago, if you would have said we would have 60m raised and be on our way to breaking ground on a ~150m project in mid 2015 you would have been laughed out of the room.

Two years ago, if you would have said we would have 60m raised and be on our way to breaking ground on a ~150m project in mid 2015 you would have been laughed out of the room.

Agreed.....Approx. already at 2/3s of what they needed to raise for TCF in a 3 1/2 year span.

My previous post was wrong. I just heard Lou Nanne say on KSTP 1500 that the entire project (including the BB practice facility) will be built at the same time. Given that information they probably won't be breaking ground in April like Kill wants.

Lou Nanne said it was 75-80 million on KFAN.

My previous post was wrong. I just heard Lou Nanne say on KSTP 1500 that the entire project (including the BB practice facility) will be built at the same time. Given that information they probably won't be breaking ground in April like Kill wants.

You might be surprised

Priorities never changed. Just more GH bs talk and people start to believe it.

Not sure where some of you are coming up with these twisted timelines and priorities.

Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague has made facilities upgrades a major priority. A basketball practice facility is at the top of his list for an expanded Bierman Athletic Complex, but here are other upgrades he hopes to include in a model that should be released in coming months:

A new football building: The Gophers' indoor football practice facility and associated areas inside the complex are among the worst in the Big Ten.

A women's gymnastics facility: The Gophers practice in Peik Gym, on campus but several blocks from the athletic complex.

A wrestling facility: The wrestling room in Bierman is subpar, particularly when contrasted with the palaces at programs such as Penn State.

Office enhancements: Space is at a premium, and many coaches work in cramped conditions.

A center for student-athlete academics and dining: The current academic center can't accommodate very many athletes. The football team essentially holds its post-practice training table in a lobby.

Ignorance with arrogance.

Lou Nanne said it was 75-80 million on KFAN.

Wow, over half way there!

GW might have to get himself in for a mental health eval...

On the one hand, we applaud Teague’s willingness to be bold in reaching for the sky. Unfortunately it just seems his goals are teetering on the edge of when consideration of a mental health hold is warranted.

Eat-Crow-300x336.jpg

Top Bottom