Hartman: Gophers football facility closer @ lower cost; $40M saved from original $90M

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

There is more hope the Gophers facilities project can be built sooner and for less money, for around $150 million. That total would be short of the original estimate of $190 million reported when the announcement was made for plans to build a football facility and academic building and to make other improvements to other sports buildings.

Apparently, the architects and other people working on the plans for the different projects found a way to get the original improvements done for less money.

Some $60 million has been raised so far, and the fundraising has some time to go. Land O Lakes did make a contribution of $25 million in September, with $21 million going to athletics and $15 million of that going toward construction of the 60,000-square-foot Center for Excellence in the new Athletics Village. Ground for that project is expected to be broken on the current site of the outdoor track in August.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/286173671.html

Go Gophers!!

What was the date Sid had previously reported the shovels would be in the ground?

Hope Sid is right about this. Nothing wrong with saving $40 mill. The $60 mill raised does contradict what Lou Nanne said, but with what Norwood said about the difficulties encountered getting that $15 mill from the David Larson estate, the $60 mill ties-in nicely with Nanne's $70-$75 million doesn't it?

Architects don't make a 40 million dollar mistake. The architectural plans have been months in the making.

Architects don't make a 40 million dollar mistake. The architectural plans have been months in the making.

Yeah, because plans never change?

Don't see anywhere in there where it was called a "mistake". You're saying that the original plan is always the one that goes forward? You seem certain that they wouldn't scale anything back, then good for you.

Hope Sid is right about this. Nothing wrong with saving $40 mill. The $60 mill raised does contradict what Lou Nanne said, but with what Norwood said about the difficulties encountered getting that $15 mill from the David Larson estate, the $60 mill ties-in nicely with Nanne's $70-$75 million doesn't it?

I'll believe Lou over Sid.

Agreed. I don't believe Sid.

Yeah, because plans never change?

Don't see anywhere in there where it was called a "mistake". You're saying that the original plan is always the one that goes forward? You seem certain that they wouldn't scale anything back, then good for you.

Materials and fixtures can start to cut that down. I noticed that the master plan had changed from its unveiling, likely also in a more cost friendly configuration. There is always contingency plans if budget are cut. Its part of the process.

My scenario: (warning - pure speculation)

Gopher big-wig: Holy Bleep, we're never going to raise $190 million for the facilities project. We're going to have to cut the budget.

another big-wig: I know- let's "leak" it to Sid that they found a way to cut $40 million out of the project. that way, we won't have to explain why the
$190 million fund drive came up short of its goal.

My scenario: (warning - pure speculation)

Gopher big-wig: Holy Bleep, we're never going to raise $190 million for the facilities project. We're going to have to cut the budget.

another big-wig: I know- let's "leak" it to Sid that they found a way to cut $40 million out of the project. that way, we won't have to explain why the
$190 million fund drive came up short of its goal.

brilliant:clap:

They saved the money by not fixing the leaky roof in the current indoor facility.

Knowing Sid they may have reduced the cost by 4,000,000. Sid added the extra "0" Are you forgetting " a lot " versus " allotment " ?

They saved the money by not fixing the leaky roof in the current indoor facility.

Maybe they decided not to put a roof on in the new facility as punters were reaching the ceiling. Kind of solved that problem.

Plans have been changed to lower overall cost. $190MM was/is a silly figure.

If I want to buy a new TV for $2,300 and tell everyone that's what I am going to do, but instead get a lesser one for $1,500... have I "saved" $800? I suppose. I also changed my plans so that I could save the money and am getting something lesser in return.

If you originally planned on 2300, got one for 1800, you didn't save anything. You spent 1800.

Top Bottom