Colton Beebe Commits to the Gophers!!!

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per his tweet! Didn't want this to get lost in the recruiting thread. I'm at the gym so hope this embeds correctly!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 114

Love this kid's highlights, especially on defense. I think he'll add weight and end up on the defensive line.

Rated the #8 FB in the country by 247 sports definitely like his physical style and versatility.

Sweet. Must have been #2 Mr. Burns was mentioning.

Colton's father!!

Go Gophers!!

His dad played for Kill. Hope those type of kids continue to look at MN. 4.0 student with Air Force offer.

This kid is a beast and will be a great fit at FB for the Gophers IMO.

Congrats to Colton!

How many scholies are left after his commitment, and who are the remaining targets to Gophers are after?

This kid is a beast and will be a great fit at FB for the Gophers IMO.

My favorite commit of this class. Downhill blocker, runner, or tackler.
Put him in the golden I in front of a big back and mash.

Go Gophers!!

Great news! Wonder if Colton is related at all to Don Beebe, the Bills WR/returner who made the great hustle play on Leon Lett in that Super Bowl years ago? In any event, welcome aboard, Colton Beebe! Go, Gophers!!!

Great news! Wonder if Colton is related at all to Don Beebe, the Bills WR/returner who made the great hustle play on Leon Lett in that Super Bowl years ago? In any event, welcome aboard, Colton Beebe! Go, Gophers!!!

Maybe. I believe Don has one son, Chad, who is a WR at Northern Illinois.

Nephew?

Related somehow. Both of their mothers are mothers.

FWIW, Beebe has said he would like to play on the defensive line but is open to playing on offense if it helps the team win games. Sounds like a great kid.

FWIW, Beebe has said he would like to play on the defensive line but is open to playing on offense if it helps the team win games. Sounds like a great kid.

Either way is a win-win. He looks like a bruiser as a FB or DT.

First....welcome to Gold Country!!

I'm curious by the discussion of him being a FB or DL. We are such a running team and FB is a key role. You would think that getting a good FB would be a priority. Thomas is a senior next year (as well as Matilus who I believe is officially a FB now). GopherSports has Tyler Hartmann - where does he fit in? I definitely understand the need for DL as well. Just curious to where people think Beebe is most needed?

First....welcome to Gold Country!!

I'm curious by the discussion of him being a FB or DL. We are such a running team and FB is a key role. You would think that getting a good FB would be a priority. Thomas is a senior next year (as well as Matilus who I believe is officially a FB now). GopherSports has Tyler Hartmann - where does he fit in? I definitely understand the need for DL as well. Just curious to where people think Beebe is most needed?

I agree FB is an important position for this team, but I think good defensive linemen are still more valuable considering how much Claeys likes to rotate during games. In the end I trust the coaches to put him in the right spot.

In all honesty, he is more valuable as a power FB. We need a punishing blocker to protect the QB, and to pull unexpected bursts.

FB is important, but if our skill positions get better it may become less important. Time will tell if we will continue to need the lead blocker.

For what it's worth, we're currently at #7 in the Big Ten on Rivals.

I'm wondering if Beebe is projected more as DL and Johanneson as a fullback. Would be interesting to have a fullback that could actually get some carries.

Front page sports section of Kansas City Star back in September:

It only took three games for Colton Beebe to cement his place in Piper’s starting lineup.

His first taste of varsity football came quickly, when he was called off the bench in the season opener his freshman year. Coach Chris Brindle’s gamble paid off as Beebe delivered a solid defensive stand and his first touchdown.

“I remember I was scared,” Beebe said. “I didn’t really expect to get in much, but they put me in during the second quarter, and I’ve been playing since then. It was a learning experience, but it went well.”

Encouraged by the potential, Brindle popped Beebe into the starting lineup for the second game at linebacker and fullback, and by the third Beebe was excelling, leading the team in both tackles and scoring.
“I told the coaches that either we are not very good or he is really good, and it was a combination of both at the time,” Brindle said.

Since then, Beebe and the Pirates have flourished together.

Piper has made the playoffs in each of the last three seasons and has a 6-3 record in Kansas Class 4A state playoff games. In that same span, the versatile Beebe has recorded 362 career tackles, 1,167 rushing yards, 548 receiving yards, 22 touchdowns and an average of 37.3 yards per punt.

Last year alone he had 159 tackles and two sacks, which helped him earn a flurry of honors. The most high profile came when he was tabbed as the Bobby Bell award recipient, which honors the top linebacker in Kansas Class 4-1A and Missouri Class 4-1 as part of the Thomas A. Simone awards. He also received the Mark Simoneau Award as the best linebacker for small classes in the metro area from 810 Varsity and played in the International Bowl with the U18 U.S. National Team.

The 6-foot-3, 252-pound senior picked up this season where he left off with 11 tackles, nine carries, one reception and an average of 45.5 yards per punt in Piper’s week one victory against Lansing.

“When you see him play live, it’s a lot of fun,” Brindle said. “It’s football, and he is just a throwback player.”

Beebe attributes much of his love of the sport to his father, Tom, who played college ball at Pittsburg State. In the offseason, he turns to his mother, Tamara, who played basketball at Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for inspiration on the court.

“My dad was a really good football player, and he showed me that hard work pays off,” Beebe said. “I’ve always looked up to my dad, and he’s been one of my coaches since I was really young. It’s fun growing up loving a sport as much as somebody else does.”

This past weekend he took another step toward furthering the family’s athletic prowess when he picked up a scholarship offer from Kansas. That is his fifth official offer, joining Minnesota, Central Arkansas, Missouri Western and Air Force.

“That whole experience was really great,” Beebe said. “It’s special to have all these schools looking at you, and I’m enjoying my senior year with this team.”

The next challenge for Beebe and the Pirates will be a tough three-game stretch of road games starting Friday at 7 p.m. in Baldwin.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article2072368.html

I'm wondering if Beebe is projected more as DL and Johanneson as a fullback. Would be interesting to have a fullback that could actually get some carries.

Kid won Bobby Bell and Mark Simoneau LB Awards in Kansas as a Junior, I think. He had 159 tackles and 362 career tackles heading into this season. Very versatile player that could play on either side. Guessing D with having flexibility of moving to FB if necessary.

If he ends up at FB, I like that his HS team looks like they did a lot with the read option. He'll be very familiar with that type of offense and the responsibilities it entails.

He plays like an old school player. Big, mauler LB like Butkus or a gigantic, rumbling back like Riggins. It was a fun highlight video to watch. It will be interesting to see what position they put him at.

Very surprised to see we are ranked #42 in the country considering we don't have a single 5.7 three star let alone 4 star. We only have I think four 5.6 guys as well. Class ranks ahead of Baylor, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and of course Florida and Michigan.

“When you see him play live, it’s a lot of fun,” Brindle said. “It’s football, and he is just a throwback player.”
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article2072368.html

I love that quote, he's a football player, you bring him in and find a spot for him, somewhere, anywhere. I believe that he was offered at camp over the summer too, that's always a good sign. Welcome aboard!

Top Bottom