Colton Beebe Commits to the Gophers!!!

Watching his video, it's a surprise he does not have more decent offers. Seems like the ideal Kill recruit. Welcome aboard!

“When you see him play live, it’s a lot of fun,” Brindle said. “It’s football, and he is just a throwback player.”
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article2072368.html

I love that quote, he's a football player, you bring him in and find a spot for him, somewhere, anywhere. I believe that he was offered at camp over the summer too, that's always a good sign. Welcome aboard!

Exactly. His Dad played for Kill, he's a 4.0 student with an Air Force offer, who's physical as hell & projects at several positions. This guy will make the team better.

Sounds like a great young man who will do whatever it takes to help make the team better.

His dad played for Kill. Hope those type of kids continue to look at MN. 4.0 student with Air Force offer.

Love this! Kill is building with bricks of character.

fullback is important in our offense but mark my words kill and clayes are planning on making this kid into a d line man and hes going to be very good there... i also think johanneson will end up playing linebacker when he sees how good our backfield is and he could be good there too

fullback is important in our offense but mark my words kill and clayes are planning on making this kid into a d line man and hes going to be very good there... i also think johanneson will end up playing linebacker when he sees how good our backfield is and he could be good there too
Any reason why you think this when he was a camp offer after working out at FB?

Exactly. His Dad played for Kill, he's a 4.0 student with an Air Force offer, who's physical as hell & projects at several positions. This guy will make the team better.

Sounds like a guy whose name you just keep hearing and seeing and getting up from piles with a face full of turf. Not flashy, just gritty and efficient.

Watching his video, it's a surprise he does not have more decent offers. Seems like the ideal Kill recruit. Welcome aboard!

Just to be honest with you, Colton wasn't looking to pile up a number of offers. He selected 4 schools that he really had an interest in attending. 2 of them came through with offers and he picked up some more that he wasn't targeting. Minnesota and Kansas were on the list with no early favorite. He turned down the opportunity to travel to Palo Alto to visit Stanford as it conflicted with the Minnesota and Arkansas camps who were both on his target list.

Not shopping for a bunch of offers, just the right ones.

I hope he can grow into the defensive line. We need battle minded players along the d-line. One area not covered in this class.

Just to be honest with you, Colton wasn't looking to pile up a number of offers. He selected 4 schools that he really had an interest in attending. 2 of them came through with offers and he picked up some more that he wasn't targeting. Minnesota and Kansas were on the list with no early favorite. He turned down the opportunity to travel to Palo Alto to visit Stanford as it conflicted with the Minnesota and Arkansas camps who were both on his target list.

Not shopping for a bunch of offers, just the right ones.

Thanks for the insight. Do you know what position the coaches plan on him playing right away?

Thanks for the insight. Do you know what position the coaches plan on him playing right away?

Colton's preference is to play defense and he realizes the options there are DE or DT, but I think he still believes he could be a 2 down MLB and plug the middle.

The original plan was to bring him in at the FB/H-Back spot and play him there until they figured out how his body will develop. They anticipate putting 20 pounds on him with a good year in the strength and conditioning program. At 280, the would still consider him a possible FB/H-back if he maintains speed and agility, but at some point they figured they would have to move him to the defensive side of the ball. The thought was early playing time on offense and progress to the defensive side.

As I said, Colton prefers to smack people in the mouth and wants to give it a go on D, but honestly is fine with playing FB if that's what gets him on the field first. If I'm handicapping it, I expect him to get to camp, take a look around and figure out really quickly that old Coach Kill had a plan and he knows what he is doing. I fully endorse the day 1 plan and I think that's where we ultimately get to. He just wants to play ball and if that gets him on the field he's good with it.

Also, just to update his measurables, He's actually a legit 6'2", and a couple of salads north of 260 lbs. That was his official measurables last weekend in Lawrence.

Colton's preference is to play defense and he realizes the options there are DE or DT, but I think he still believes he could be a 2 down MLB and plug the middle.

The original plan was to bring him in at the FB/H-Back spot and play him there until they figured out how his body will develop. They anticipate putting 20 pounds on him with a good year in the strength and conditioning program. At 280, the would still consider him a possible FB/H-back if he maintains speed and agility, but at some point they figured they would have to move him to the defensive side of the ball. The thought was early playing time on offense and progress to the defensive side.

As I said, Colton prefers to smack people in the mouth and wants to give it a go on D, but honestly is fine with playing FB if that's what gets him on the field first. If I'm handicapping it, I expect him to get to camp, take a look around and figure out really quickly that old Coach Kill had a plan and he knows what he is doing. I fully endorse the day 1 plan and I think that's where we ultimately get to. He just wants to play ball and if that gets him on the field he's good with it.

Also, just to update his measurables, He's actually a legit 6'2", and a couple of salads north of 260 lbs. That was his official measurables last weekend in Lawrence.

What did he have for breakfast yesterday?

What did you have for breakfast yesterday?

Thanks so much! We're excited to have him on board.

I know the coaches will put him wherever best suits him and the team, but the thought of an athletic, 280lb fullback has me more than giddy right now!

Thanks kcgorilla!

I'm starting to imagine Colton on the defensive line full-time but also have special packages for him on offense in goal line and jumbo packages to take advantage of his abilities as a blocking FB.

I really hope he ends up at FB. I see a top flight FB/HB as a position of need. I think we have seen the golden I & other power formations less, because none of our true "power, blocking backs inspire the coaches to want to use that 11th mans spot on them. If we have a big beast out there that is still do something with those outlet swing/flat routes out of the backfield, I think that would add more versatility & another dimension to our offence.

Good word. If the kid's already 260 he's already a big FB. Personally I'd love to have a mauling 260lb FB with his agility as he could carry the ball, block and be a receiver out of the backfield. Mike Henry (our FB in 2012 and 2013) was so valuable in our offense that I'd love to have a kid like Colton because he'd be by far the most athletic and biggest FB we've had in a long time. That said if they really feel he can add another 20-30lbs DT is a nice spot as well. He's clearly athletic for his size though. Nice to have a versatile athlete.

Beebe sounds like a great addition, and a really good fit for this team/staff.

I'll say this. Other than QB, defensive line has become the most important spot in college football IMO. It's what separates elite teams from pretty good teams. Great Dlinemen are just so hard to come by. Beebe would be a nice FB in this offense but I'd love to see us continue stacking the DLine with athletes like this (whether he begins there or grows into it).

I'm thrilled that Colton has decided to be a Gopher. CONGRATS and WELCOME!

Thanks for the input kcgorilla but since he is a football player this quote of yours "He's actually a legit 6'2", and a couple of salads north of 260 lbs." should probably read "a couple of cheese burgers north of 260 lbs"

Very excited to have Colton on board with the Gophers.

Thanks for the input kcgorilla but since he is a football player this quote of yours "He's actually a legit 6'2", and a couple of salads north of 260 lbs." should probably read "a couple of cheese burgers north of 260 lbs"

Very excited to have Colton on board with the Gophers.

The salad quote is actually more true than you will know. He has actually worked hard to keep his weight down the last couple of years. We talked to the high school coach about moving him to DE 2 years ago as we were told at several camps that his future was at DE or DT. Our high school coach said he couldn't afford to move him from the middle because everyone would run away from him. He needed him to stay at MLB to utilize him more effectively in the defensive scheme. It was hard to get looks at positions he rarely played in HS and had no film on. Coach Kill wasn't even sure what to think until the first time he hit someone at camp. I saw coach light up and the wheels immediately turning. We didn't expect to leave with an offer that day, but he got it before he had a chance to catch his breath at the end of the day.

On offense, the primarily used him as a blocker and some pass catching to try and save some wear and tear. But, when playoffs rolled around, he ran the ball a lot more. In his 4 years, I'd venture to guess that 75% of his rushing carries and yards came during playoff season.

Thanks for the reply kc, my post was really an attempt at humor about the "cheese burgers" not in any way a dig against Colton or the weight at which he plays. I can't wait till he dons the maroon and gold. Wherever the coaches place him, position wise, I think he will have a solid or perhaps great career as a Gopher and I am very much looking forward to watching him progress.

Top Bottom