Maxx Williams said he put his name in the pool of underclassmen for the NFL draft

Graduating in 2.5 years as a scholarship football player? I highly doubt it.

Its doable especially if he took college credits his St year of his. Bernie Kosar did it Miami so he could be drafted by the browns

Its doable especially if he took college credits his St year of his. Bernie Kosar did it Miami so he could be drafted by the browns

A few things:

1. If you read the article I linked earlier, he mentions that he would've had to press too much to graduate HS a semester early, so again, I doubt very much that he was taking a ton of college credits while he was in HS.

2. The time pressure/money/media coverage/everything is vastly bigger in the NCAA than it was 30 years ago. Being a scholarship athlete (especially in a revenue sport) is a full time job by itself without taking attending classes, studying, and doing homework into account.

3. Maxx has registered for spring classes. People who graduate in the fall don't register for spring classes. He's not graduating this fall. It was either misinformation or an erroneous statement on Kill's part.

Well ya but

Didn't say it doesn't matter where you are drafted, of course the higher you go the more money and especially guaranteed money you stand to make. My point was the concept of waiting a year to be a top 10 pick does not apply nearly the same way in football as it does in basketball where the only guys that have a great shot to make it are the guys picked in the lottery. Maxx could kill it his junior year and still not be a top 10 pick because of the way teams value players in the NFL. If he would be the top TE taken this year vs. potentially being the 4th TE taken next year (just tossing out numbers no research) he wold be better off coming out this year. I am sure he will have good people evaluating the situation for him and will make the decision that makes the most sense for him and his family. Just hoping that decision is another year of college.

Well, ya but that has nothing to do with your earlier argument as I understood it. My point the difference between 1st round and 2nd round in the NFL matters. The higher you are in the first round it really matters.
You can put a ceiling on Maxx, I'd rather not. I'd like to think his accomplishments to date are no where his ceiling...therefore he can be an exception be a top 10 ten pick coming back to school and leading to the team to greater success by playing better than this year. How likely that is, is up to Maxx and his coaches.
But having said that, the coaches already do feature him and I'm sure intend to do so going forward.

And there is always the question: how clearly is the consensus he will be the top TE selected if that is the prediction? Does he have a team willing to promise they'll take him at 22 or whatever if Winston and Mariotta are gone or something specific or is it just chatter..."we like you a lot" and if we draft a TE you'd pretty much be our guy.
My overall point: unless he's unanimously a first round pick at minimum or unanimous first TE selected in this year's draft...other than that, stay in school.

Well, ya but that has nothing to do with your earlier argument as I understood it. My point the difference between 1st round and 2nd round in the NFL matters. The higher you are in the first round it really matters.
You can put a ceiling on Maxx, I'd rather not. I'd like to think his accomplishments to date are no where his ceiling...therefore he can be an exception be a top 10 ten pick coming back to school and leading to the team to greater success by playing better than this year. How likely that is, is up to Maxx and his coaches.
But having said that, the coaches already do feature him and I'm sure intend to do so going forward.

And there is always the question: how clearly is the consensus he will be the top TE selected if that is the prediction? Does he have a team willing to promise they'll take him at 22 or whatever if Winston and Mariotta are gone or something specific or is it just chatter..."we like you a lot" and if we draft a TE you'd pretty much be our guy.
My overall point: unless he's unanimously a first round pick at minimum or unanimous first TE selected in this year's draft...other than that, stay in school.

Its not really that cut and dry. While your 1st round money is obviously better. A 2nd round guy gets to his 2nd contract faster due to his option yr coming a yr sooner than the 1st round guy. The 2nd contract is where the real money is made and u also have the power to negotiate that deal unlike your rookie deal which is slotted in pay. The 2md contract is where generational wealth can be established.

Again, he can buy insurance to guard against losing NFL money...

I don't think folks can insure themselves to the same level they will make in the NFL as an early round guy. Likely not even close. So, you are still risking significant money due to injury.

A few things:

1. If you read the article I linked earlier, he mentions that he would've had to press too much to graduate HS a semester early, so again, I doubt very much that he was taking a ton of college credits while he was in HS.

2. The time pressure/money/media coverage/everything is vastly bigger in the NCAA than it was 30 years ago. Being a scholarship athlete (especially in a revenue sport) is a full time job by itself without taking attending classes, studying, and doing homework into account.

3. Maxx has registered for spring classes. People who graduate in the fall don't register for spring classes. He's not graduating this fall. It was either misinformation or an erroneous statement on Kill's part.

Good to know.

If the Wolves pick him up with their lottery pick, he ought to go. Otherwise he should stay. We need Leidner to start to get the ball to him 5-6 times a game.

Tweet from Doogie-

“@DarrenWolfson: I will stress this again since there was a limited audience on Christmas Eve: I’ll be shocked if Maxx Williams doesn’t go pro. #gophers”

Good stance for Doogie to take. Throw sh!t against the wall & hope it sticks! If it ends up being, he looks like he broke something. If it doesn't, he's no less credible than he already is thought of.....

Good stance for Doogie to take. Throw sh!t against the wall & hope it sticks! If it ends up being, he looks like he broke something. If it doesn't, he's no less credible than he already is thought of.....

That's kinda how it works now days. Make a ton of predictions or have an "inside source", and when it turns out correct, then let everyone know. When you're wrong 75% of the time, don't say a word and just move on.

Doogie blocked me. I can't see his tweets anymore. Probably a good thing.

Doogie blocked me. I can't see his tweets anymore. Probably a good thing.

I think I can one up you here. I am blocked by two accounts that I am aware of. The first is AJ Barker. The second is the official KFAN Twitter page and I honestly have no idea what I did to them. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or...maybe he is just simply making a prediction based on what he believes will happen. He certainly would have a better gauge of the situation than any of us would have.

Or...maybe he is just simply making a prediction based on what he believes will happen. He certainly would have a better gauge of the situation than any of us would have.

Nope, he says he has "strong intel".

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Are some of you saying you WOULD be surprised if he left to go play on Sundays? If so, why?

Nope, he says he has "strong intel".

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Which stories do we actually have confirmation he was wrong on?

The only one I followed was the Fred Hoiberg fiasco and we really don't know what happened there. Any thing that I don't know of that has everyone so salty towards him?

Maybe this has been said already, but when does he have to decide by?

Are some of you saying you WOULD be surprised if he left to go play on Sundays? If so, why?

My feelings as well. If you look at it objectively, I would be very surprised if he stays. His stock is probably already as high as it will ever be, he's healthy, his chances to improve his numbers are very minimal with our QBs, and he's already made multiple highlight reels. He has proved himself ready, assuming his combine numbers come back ok. Just hoping that finishing his degree & college experience is enough to keep him here another year.

Which stories do we actually have confirmation he was wrong on?

The only one I followed was the Fred Hoiberg fiasco and we really don't know what happened there. Any thing that I don't know of that has everyone so salty towards him?

I can't speak specifically about Doogie, my comments were more towards reporters in general. In these twitter/facebook days, I'm just not going to get bent out of shape when someone reports something like this. With social media, it's hard to believe just about anything now days until it actually happens.

Just googled it, looks like it's still Jan 15

When does the NFL committee give the underclassmen their prediction?

I thought the NFL only gave two predictions to underclassmen - 1st or 2nd Round or Not 1st or 2nd round.

Have to believe that if he doesn't get a prediction of top two rounds that it would sway him to come back and vicer versa.

I think I can one up you here. I am blocked by two accounts that I am aware of. The first is AJ Barker. The second is the official KFAN Twitter page and I honestly have no idea what I did to them. Lol

I too am blocked by AJ Barker. I am also very aware of why I am and I have zero regret.

No, I wouldn't be surprised, but my dog has as much inside info as Doogie. All Doogie has is a platform - for reasons I haven't figured out yet.

Tweet from Doogie-

“@DarrenWolfson: I will stress this again since there was a limited audience on Christmas Eve: I’ll be shocked if Maxx Williams doesn’t go pro. #gophers”

Someone should break it to Doogie that his audience is kind of limited the other 364 days as well.

Trying to improve your draft stock with one of the worst quarterbacks in FBS football would be tough to do, it's in his best interest to leave now. Selfishly I hope he stays.

Top Bottom