Maxx Williams said he put his name in the pool of underclassmen for the NFL draft

I think I heard Kill say he graduates this semester. I'd have to do some digging, but thought I heard it on his radio show.

Graduating in 2.5 years as a scholarship football player? I highly doubt it.

If he's a top 3 round guy it makes sense for him to go financially. I honestly don't know exactly what the NFL will think of Maxx. He's clearly an NFL player but he's not huge (about 6'4") compared to the recent highly drafted TEs I can think of. Those guys are all in the 6'6" range. He's not one of those Hernandez/ Graham types that are basically WRs either. His biggest strength is probably his agility and his hands. I'm interested to see where he projects

TE's are usually not 1st rounders unless they really stand out. Right now I see Maxx as a late 3rd early 4th rounder at best. Is that good enough to declare early? I think he has something to prove at the college level yet. I would understand if he goes for the money, but the money is not the only thing for some people. If i were to guess we will see one more year of Maxx in Maroon and Gold and then he will be gone. If he leaves this year, I won't like our chances of having an improved offense.

If I were his dad, and he were in a position to be drafted in a good spot, I would advise him to declare. There is too much that can happen to him, one play could end his career with an injury that would both prevent him from capitalizing on the pro paycheck for all of his work and deprive him of the dream of suiting up for an NFL game. Of course, I would also tell him to make sure to put enough away to fund the rest of his degree (unless he finishes it, if I remember correctly Bjugstad graduated in three years despite leaving high school after only three years, in which case I would still tell him to save some) in case pro football doesn't work out.

Not saying he necessarily should go but the 2016 draft is considered much better at TE. He is considered the #1 TE in this years draft but probably wouldn't be for the 2016 draft. Anyways I really hope that the possibility of getting the axe back and possibly playing in the Big Ten championship is more important to him than the money. I love seeing not just gophers but all college football players spurn the NFL simply because they love playing college football so much and want to bring a championship to their school. Especially projected top 10 picks like Taylor Lewan and Matt Barkley.

He is not going to be a top 10 pick in this years NFL draft. That is where the money is. Come back, Win all the awards, collect all the honors, lead your college team to success as a captain, create a much greater national buzz, either graduate or get much closer to doing so and then there is at least the chance of being in the top 10 picks in 2016. The salaries are slotted. They descend quickly.

There is insurance for getting hurt in college and losing NFL income. I doubt he is in the first round but it would be at the bottom if it happened imo. The second round and lower, any money he loses by playing college football
another year would be quadrupled if he got into top 10 to or even top 16 picks the following year.

The education, plus life experiences you can't do over, the money you are leaving on the table if you believe in your ability are all overwhelmingly points to returning. again jmo

Putting his name into the pool is smart. And so will pulling it out of the pool this year before the deadline.

If I'm not mistaken there is insurance available for players still in college who are shoo ins for the NFL. Its offered by the NCAA. It basically gets down to this. If you get hurt and cant Make the NFL you collect the insurance. If you don't get hurt and are drafted
you make the insurance paymnt out of your NFL contract. Sometimes I've heard that the NFL team will pay for it.

A pretty slick deal.

I would be interested in any late info on this insurance as my info goes back a few years.

When was the last time a TE was a Top 10 pick in the NFL? It is a valuable position, yes. But rarely is it a Top 10 pick. Vernon Davis maybe was the last Top 10 guy.

Almost. 2014: Eric Ebron (#10). Vernon Davis in 2006 the last one before Ebron.

One thing is certain, whether he comes out this year or next year, Maxx is hitting the NFL at a great time for athletic TE's. It is an extremely in demand position right now in the league. Still hoping he sticks around for one more year though, would be a big blow to the offense to lose our only real receiving threat heading into next season. Would put a lot of pressure on the young WR and TE's on the roster to step up.

As much as I want him to stay for next year, I'll be excited to see what he does in the NFL. It would be great for him to stay one more year and get a shot of "Maxx with the Axe" for the history books. Gophers that are successful in the NFL are people Kill can point to on recruiting visits.

Maxx, the draft, 40 time.

Maxx Williams listed at 6-4 250lbs. Great hands, great agility, concentration. Decent speed NFL level. Good blocker. Can play inside, flanked out, and H back. H. Miller might be a good comparison.

I wouldnt be suprised if his is closer to 6-5 and 255. I imagine he runs somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9. If he runs closer to 4.7 I could see 2nd round. If he runs closer to 4.9 he would go 4th round or later.

Some other TE numbers.
Ebron 6-4 250lbs 4.6 40. CJ Fiedorowixz 6-7 265 4.76. Gronk 6-6 258, 4.68. Jordan Reed 6-3 243 4.72. Jimmy Graham 6-6 260 4.56. K. Rudolph 6-6 259 4.78. H. Miller 6-5 255 4.87.

Almost. 2014: Eric Ebron (#10). Vernon Davis in 2006 the last one before Ebron.

Maxx Williams listed at 6-4 250lbs. Great hands, great agility, concentration. Decent speed NFL level. Good blocker. Can play inside, flanked out, and H back. H. Miller might be a good comparison.

I wouldnt be suprised if his is closer to 6-5 and 255. I imagine he runs somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9. If he runs closer to 4.7 I could see 2nd round. If he runs closer to 4.9 he would go 4th round or later.

Some other TE numbers.
Ebron 6-4 250lbs 4.6 40. CJ Fiedorowixz 6-7 265 4.76. Gronk 6-6 258, 4.68. Jordan Reed 6-3 243 4.72. Jimmy Graham 6-6 260 4.56. K. Rudolph 6-6 259 4.78. H. Miller 6-5 255 4.87.

If Maxx runs a 4.9 I'll buy a Packer jersey (don't hold me to that). I'm guessing he's a 4.7 something guy. He's fast but like you said his hands and agility/body control are his best assets. That said he's regularly gotten open against B10 DBs for 2 years now so he's fast enough

Besides Ebron, there were three TE's taken in the second round. I could easily see him in the 2nd round, he's better than Amaro of Texas Tech, was more of a receiver. The kid from Washington also caught a lot of passes. The Notre Damer taken in the 2nd round didn't have eye opening stats, caught only 37 passes his entire career after playing LB his freshmen year. I bet he goes if he is 2nd round and it would be great for him and it is always a nice sign that the program is getting NFL caliber players.

If Maxx has the chance, then he should go for it. I hope he is drafted by New England and Tom Brady has a few more years left.

I thought I saw that Maxx was scheduled to graduate December of 2015, but I might be confusing him with someone else.

With Maxx I see a very comparable talent to Kyle Rudolph as I do believe neither player has great speed, but I feel they both are able to catch anything that remotely comes into their catch radius. However, unlike Rudolph, Maxx does not have what I feel to be a history of injuries so his durability should make him that much more attractive to GMs in the NFL (whenever he turns pro). Hope he does what is best for him ulitmately, though along with most on this forum, hope that decision is to stay another year and turn a unthreatening passing attack to an effective one (or even better yet good one).

Maxx is big enough to what is best for Maxx. I will not argue with him.

Tough part for Maxx is it's a limited market on who wants a TE. First you have to have a scheme that utilizes what Maxx does which is primarily run good routes and catch anything around him. He won't beat a teams top cover guy in college and now NFL teams are adapting to stop the guy that is just a glorified receiver (see: Graham, Jimmy). If he has the strength already to block at the pro level, I'd say he's ready but in order to justify a first round pick you're going to have to show that because he doesn't have the speed of Graham or the physicality of a Gronk pre-injury. Could see the Packers, Pats, or teams like them taking a late first round flier on him but if he doesn't go in that slot, he's likely falling all the way to the late 2nd round b/c all the teams picking towards the top (Washington who loves Jordan Reed, Tampa Bay who has Austin Serafin Jenkins who's a catch first TE, J'ville would be a maybe but they have far bigger issues than TE, Tenn has Delanie Walker, Oakland again has bigger needs) aren't really looking TE so he could plummet from late first to mid to late 2nd really fast. Personally I think he'd be better suited coming back with his insurance in tow and getting his blocking game down. As great as he was, he did miss quite a few blocks and if he shows he can shut down a DE on the pass rush, his stock goes up exponentially. just my .02

You are wrong a lot

What you are describing applies far more to the NBA then it does to the NFL. Maxx is more then likely not a top 10 guy next year either. From his standpoint if he grades out in the top 2 rounds he would be crazy not to go pro now. If he comes in as a mid round guy he would be better served coming back next season and continuing to get better at the college level to improve his position for the following year. As others have said I hope we get to watch him in Maroon and Gold for one more year but will see what happens I guess.

I'm not going to take the time to completely prove my point. Just read this and see if you feel it doesn't matter where you are drafted?
By waiting, (if he thinks he can play better next year and receive more publicity) he will be drafted higher. The difference in money is significant. Worth waiting for...unless your stock will never be higher. I believe his stock would rise...therefore to make more money and for the other reasons he should stay and elevate his status. Again, he can buy insurance to guard against losing NFL money...which if he is healthy and performs next year would be easily recovered. MAYBE, maybe getting drafted high second round and sliding to third round or fourth round because he runs bad at the combine or pro day or whatever the reason is not worth the gamble. He'll make the money going forward if he stays. He's not getting life changing money. At 21 statistics say it's pretty easy to go through a million or two. That sounds like a lot of money. It is not when talking about being set for life. It could be but it'll never happen in your 20's that it's invested properly. Who would you listen to for advice? Your agent? Your dad? Investor guy? Put it in mutual funds it'll barely move the needle long term. Stay in school or be dang sure you are at least in round one to consider leaving. jmo http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24546593/agents-take-the-hidden-economics-lurking-within-the-2014-nfl-draft

60's Guy;996839[B said:
]I'm not going to take the time to completely prove my point. Just read this and see if you feel it doesn't matter where you are drafted?[/B]
By waiting, (if he thinks he can play better next year and receive more publicity) he will be drafted higher. The difference in money is significant. Worth waiting for...unless your stock will never be higher. I believe his stock would rise...therefore to make more money and for the other reasons he should stay and elevate his status. Again, he can buy insurance to guard against losing NFL money...which if he is healthy and performs next year would be easily recovered. MAYBE, maybe getting drafted high second round and sliding to third round or fourth round because he runs bad at the combine or pro day or whatever the reason is not worth the gamble. He'll make the money going forward if he stays. He's not getting life changing money. At 21 statistics say it's pretty easy to go through a million or two. That sounds like a lot of money. It is not when talking about being set for life. It could be but it'll never happen in your 20's that it's invested properly. Who would you listen to for advice? Your agent? Your dad? Investor guy? Put it in mutual funds it'll barely move the needle long term. Stay in school or be dang sure you are at least in round one to consider leaving. jmo http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24546593/agents-take-the-hidden-economics-lurking-within-the-2014-nfl-draft

Didn't say it doesn't matter where you are drafted, of course the higher you go the more money and especially guaranteed money you stand to make. My point was the concept of waiting a year to be a top 10 pick does not apply nearly the same way in football as it does in basketball where the only guys that have a great shot to make it are the guys picked in the lottery. Maxx could kill it his junior year and still not be a top 10 pick because of the way teams value players in the NFL. If he would be the top TE taken this year vs. potentially being the 4th TE taken next year (just tossing out numbers no research) he wold be better off coming out this year. I am sure he will have good people evaluating the situation for him and will make the decision that makes the most sense for him and his family. Just hoping that decision is another year of college.

Top Bottom