Maxx Williams said he put his name in the pool of underclassmen for the NFL draft

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Barring injury, his junior year may be his last as a Gopher - but he could earn all the available honors as a junior.

Good business situation. He'll find out more yet about himself going through this process. He'll be a Gopher in 2015.

Can't blame him for taking his draft stock. If it is 1st/2nd round projection, why not leave early (as much as I want him to stay)?

Tight ends only have so much longevity. If they are going to get hurt, why not get paid for it.

Selfishly, I want him to come back, but I think he should go. He is a good blocker and a great pass catcher so I don't see any deficiencies in his game. Take the money before an injury ruins your life and your chance at millions kid.

I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone who has posted already. It's a smart move for him to at least weigh his options. I'd love to see him in maroon and gold next year, but if he's expected to go in the early rounds then he should take the money and run. I would have absolutely no hard feelings if that were the case, because he sure as hell deserves the success.

He'll be back. He doesn't strike me as a guy that's focused solely on the money. He wants the college experience. He wants to help bring the axe back. The NFL Will be waiting in 2016 or even 2017.

One more year Maxx, one more year!

I hope he stays a Gopher for another year, but if he doesn't I really hope he's catching passes from Aaron Rodgers for the next 10 years.

As a fan I want him to stay, as a parent I'd tell him to go pro.

Anyone have an idea of when he is set to graduate? Academics seem to be a big deal to him and, unless he is graduating in 3 years, that could get him to come back one more year for sure so he graduates.

As a fan, it will both stink and be awesome if he goes. He has worlds of potential for the NFL and with his size and athleticism he could be great. The Gopher fan in me hopes he stays. If he doesn't, I won't be mad. Hopefully Duke Anywau (sp?) can get healthy as he has a very high ceiling, similar to Maxx.

I want Maxx to succeed, but I think he'd benefit a lot more if he returns... There is no one ahead of him next year for the Mackey Award, and B10 TE, and hopefully his stats will be better with Leidner a year older, and hopefully a lot better. I guess future stars are always fearful of injury, but I really think his stock next year will be better than this year.

I want Maxx to succeed, but I think he'd benefit a lot more if he returns... There is no one ahead of him next year for the Mackey Award, and B10 TE, and hopefully his stats will be better with Leidner a year older, and hopefully a lot better. I guess future stars are always fearful of injury, but I really think his stock next year will be better than this year.

The position has become so valuable in the NFL, with the tape and how well he'll test at the combine he'd be an early 2nd rounder at the very latest. I really see little benefit to his stock, if he returns it's for the fact that he enjoys playing college football and is willing to sacrifice a year of pay.

Maxx needs to stay in school

He is not going to be a top 10 pick in this years NFL draft. That is where the money is. Come back, Win all the awards, collect all the honors, lead your college team to success as a captain, create a much greater national buzz, either graduate or get much closer to doing so and then there is at least the chance of being in the top 10 picks in 2016. The salaries are slotted. They descend quickly.

There is insurance for getting hurt in college and losing NFL income. I doubt he is in the first round but it would be at the bottom if it happened imo. The second round and lower, any money he loses by playing college football
another year would be quadrupled if he got into top 10 to or even top 16 picks the following year.

The education, plus life experiences you can't do over, the money you are leaving on the table if you believe in your ability are all overwhelmingly points to returning. again jmo

Putting his name into the pool is smart. And so will pulling it out of the pool this year before the deadline.

Maxx Williams said he put his name in the pool of underclassmen for the NFL d...

Where's the "scout" that said Cobb would best case scenario be a post-draft FA pick up??

We need an experts opinion!!!!

He is not going to be a top 10 pick in this years NFL draft. That is where the money is. Come back, Win all the awards, collect all the honors, lead your college team to success as a captain, create a much greater national buzz, either graduate or get much closer to doing so and then there is at least the chance of being in the top 10 picks in 2016. The salaries are slotted. They descend quickly.

There is insurance for getting hurt in college and losing NFL income. I doubt he is in the first round but it would be at the bottom if it happened imo. The second round and lower, any money he loses by playing college football
another year would be quadrupled if he got into top 10 to or even top 16 picks the following year.

The education, plus life experiences you can't do over, the money you are leaving on the table if you believe in your ability are all overwhelmingly points to returning. again jmo

Putting his name into the pool is smart. And so will pulling it out of the pool this year before the deadline.

I think I heard Kill say he graduates this semester. I'd have to do some digging, but thought I heard it on his radio show.

Anyone have an idea of when he is set to graduate? Academics seem to be a big deal to him and, unless he is graduating in 3 years, that could get him to come back one more year for sure so he graduates.

Or he could take classes in the offseason as well.

I will always advocate getting the money as quickly as you can. The experiences are great, but tearing an ACL for those experiences and making $50k/year in a "normal" job compared to $1m/year is a big price to pay.

If you can, get your money young man.

Per Marcus:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't see him going yet. He needs to put on more weight to block at the pro level. And that is as important as his pass catching ability. I think we'll see him another year and if he has another great year he'll be gone.

While he just had an awesome season, imagine what he could do if he had consistent QB play over the course of an entire year. When weighing his options, I am sure that will be considered as well- and I'm not sure it's going to get better. NFL teams will recognize him as a young guy that made the most out of a bad passing game and he very easily could be considered the #1 TE prospect.

Would love for him to stay- but may be time to take the money and run.

What you are describing applies far more to the NBA then it does to the NFL. Maxx is more then likely not a top 10 guy next year either. From his standpoint if he grades out in the top 2 rounds he would be crazy not to go pro now. If he comes in as a mid round guy he would be better served coming back next season and continuing to get better at the college level to improve his position for the following year. As others have said I hope we get to watch him in Maroon and Gold for one more year but will see what happens I guess.

If he leaves, it probably will be because he feel like he's his his ceiling here. What is left for him to prove here that he hasn't? How much better statistics can he put up? Hopefully he is enjoying his college experience and stays for another year or two.

If Maxx were to be drafted in the first three rounds or top 100 pick he would be an idiot to come back to the Gophers. Your lifespan as a football player is only so long. He can always work on his degree during the off-season or when he retires. Awards, all-american nominations, stats don't always equal higher draft picks. When it is your time to get to the league, you have to take it.

What you are describing applies far more to the NBA then it does to the NFL. Maxx is more then likely not a top 10 guy next year either. From his standpoint if he grades out in the top 2 rounds he would be crazy not to go pro now. If he comes in as a mid round guy he would be better served coming back next season and continuing to get better at the college level to improve his position for the following year. As others have said I hope we get to watch him in Maroon and Gold for one more year but will see what happens I guess.

This is so spot on MNVCGUY. When was the last time a TE was a Top 10 pick in the NFL? It is a valuable position, yes. But rarely is it a Top 10 pick. Vernon Davis maybe was the last Top 10 guy? That being said, if he grades out in the first 3 rounds, I say go, get that paper.

If Maxx were to be drafted in the first three rounds or top 100 pick he would be an idiot to come back to the Gophers. Your lifespan as a football player is only so long. He can always work on his degree during the off-season or when he retires. Awards, all-american nominations, stats don't always equal higher draft picks. When it is your time to get to the league, you have to take it.

Most say that if you are a sure top 2 round guy, you should probably go. If they come back and say he's probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder, I think he could come back. If they say he is a 1st or 2nd rounder, I think he needs to go (as much as I hate to say that).

I wonder if they took out insurance for him, or at least will if he returns. I know that is pretty common now days.

Top Bottom