Pelini rips the Nebraska AD a new one in goodbye statement to players

Nebraska is my favorite B1G opponent that borders to the south of South Dakota.

His tant actually hurt the players as it added to the impression that the program is troubled. It won't help with recruiting. He was just totally unprofessional. This is a guy who told the fans to F off.

My take is that the AD purposely didn't meet with Pelini the past two years (or however long they were working together) because he didn't want to establish a relationship with him. The AD didn't respect Pelini and saw something in him he didn't like. The AD was wise enough to know that Pelini would would cause his own demise. The AD has probably been around unstable guys like Pelini before and knew exactly how to get to Pelini, destroy Pelini and drive Pelini practically insane....by avoiding him. The AD probably didn't care how good a coach Pelini was, how much his players liked him or how many games he won. The AD plain and simple didn't want a person like Pelini being the face of the program and representing the University. I give the AD credit for recognizing that Pelini is really an emotionally unwell man that shouldn't be running one of the most storied football programs in the country. However, if the AD had balls, he would've gone up to Pelini to tell him this whenever it was he came to that conclusion. Instead, the AD acted like most leaders (who are manipulative, scheming, smug and cunning) and wanted to watch Pelini sink his own ship.

Keep in mind, there are lots of guys out there that our kids would love to hang around and would love to play for that we probably wouldn't want associated with our kids. Just because the kids "loved" playing for him doesn't mean he's the right guy. That's one important quality in a coach, perhaps the biggest one, but it's not the only important one. Pelini demonstrated what kind of man he is in that meeting. He did not have the best interests of his players in mind during his rant. In fact, the only interest he really demonstrated was his own selfish interest. If you think that Pelini telling his players he would do anything for them makes him a good guy, then you haven't really been around much or experienced many people in life. Pelini is focused on himself first and foremost and that was evident from his tirade. I've been around guys like him a lot and I would say most of what comes out of his is mouth crap.

I read the whole speech Pelini gave to the players and he mainly crossed the line when he personally attacked the AD as a P and a C.

The rest of the points he made had some value to the players as he gavethem some realistic input on what happens after a coaching change (his own OSU experience with Earl Bruce being ousted for John Cooper), and how they need to consider the situation as individuals. Pelini also showed some respect to the efforts of the players, and told them he would be available to help at any time in the future and to call or text him. I think this was a valuable and sincere core part of the discussion.

As far as him comments about the culture in the department and general mentality of the Nebraska fanbase and media, his comments may have been very correct. It may not have been very helpful and somewhat self serving, but his comments helped the players understand exactly what happened. The players can figure out for themselves if Bo Pelini's own actions and attitude were a bigger factor as some suggest, and that is probably what 10% of the players think. The rest of the players probably were big fans of Pelini, and are not basing their feelings on what they see on TV for a few minutes each game. I had a 8th grade football coach who spoke in much more profane terms to our team relative to Pelini. Of course today, that coach/teach would not last very long.

If I had to report to someone like the "lawyerly", disconnected AD Eichhorst, I'd be irritated too, and Bo Pelini was never been one to hold back, so I do not know why anyone expected it here. Also this was a private meeting not a press conference, so that changes things as well.

Did he hire Wren as his speech writer?

Could be -- Certainly had wren's rambling style and was long enough, plus wren likes to blame ADs so there is a lot of wren in that speech.

For those who question what Pelini's players really thought of him from Fox Sports: Nebraska played No. 24 USC in the Holiday Bowl last weekend, losing to the Trojans 45-42, but what was apparent is how much love the Cornhuskers have for fired coach Bo Pelini. The team left the first seat on the bus open for him, and many players made alterations to their uniforms to honor Pelini. In essence, they sent this message to the university’s administration: “He was our guy – whatever problem there was with Coach was between you guys.”

For those who question what Pelini's players really thought of him from Fox Sports: Nebraska played No. 24 USC in the Holiday Bowl last weekend, losing to the Trojans 45-42, but what was apparent is how much love the Cornhuskers have for fired coach Bo Pelini. The team left the first seat on the bus open for him, and many players made alterations to their uniforms to honor Pelini. In essence, they sent this message to the university’s administration: “He was our guy – whatever problem there was with Coach was between you guys.”

They won 66 games in Pelini's 7 full seasons. Will be interesting to see if the adminstration's replacement manages to win 66 more in the next 7.

They won 66 games in Pelini's 7 full seasons. Will be interesting to see if the adminstration's replacement manages to win 66 more in the next 7.

Doubtful. I just don't see Mike Riley being a good fit there. Not at all. I'd bet by the time Riley is through, Nebraska will miss their 9 win seasons.

Doubtful. I just don't see Mike Riley being a good fit there. Not at all. I'd bet by the time Riley is through, Nebraska will miss their 9 win seasons.

But he had a hot dog at the bowl game and sat in the stands and apparently that has Huskers fans all fired up on their message boards. I remember when winning used to fire them up, now its having a nice head coach that likes hot dogs.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatel...cle_5884a220-8e5a-11e4-91d3-eb54d2f90a56.html

Go Gophers!!

They did hire a guy who's been to the rodeo and handled the egos before, whether he wins at the Pelini level remains to be seen. The Pelini and Harbaugh divorces were similar at different levels of football.

Top Bottom