BTN's Mt. Rushmore of Minnesota football to be announced LIVE this Friday @ 5pm CT

I graduated from the U in 1996 and while I've heard of all 4 of those players and realize they are legends of Gopher football, it is a bit disappointing that there are no players from the era of Gopher football I grew up watching on the list. I'm not saying there should be, but just how different Gopher football was in the "old days".

Your era didn't win the national championship. Neither did Giel for that matter. I would guess Bruce Smith would not even be able to play if he grew up in this era. But Bronko would. I saw him play in an alumni game when he was in his fifties and he dominated

The only spot left open for negotiation was the Paul G. spot, and there were a many that a case could be made for.

Bruce Smith won a the big trophy this cannot be left off the list,, but the reality is there were players in the trenches in the glory years that were his equal when it came to the impact overall. Regardless it was a good list, but I would have dumped PG for Carl Eller, Sandy S or one post 1996 player such as Marion Barber III.

Top Bottom