BTN's Mt. Rushmore of Minnesota football to be announced LIVE this Friday @ 5pm CT

supadupafly

Reaction score
Schools already announced on previous BTN broadcasts: Penn State, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana.

Still to be announced this week:

-Wednesday (Ohio State, Northwestern)
-Thursday (Michigan State, Maryland)
-Friday (Minnesota, Rutgers)

http://btn.com/the-mt-rushmores-of-big-ten-football/

I perused that website a little bit, but couldn't figure out what this is. Could be thanks to my growing impatience with online articles as time goes on. Is it just outlining top players from each team?

I perused that website a little bit, but couldn't figure out what this is. Could be thanks to my growing impatience with online articles as time goes on. Is it just outlining top players from each team?

Yes. Don't know who started this going (ESPN?) but picking a team's four most Monumental players has become something to do. Much like South Dakotans did back in the 1920's when they chose Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt for the Mt.Rushmore Monument.

More visual then just saying "these are our best 4 four players" I guess.

Carl Eller Paul Geil Tyrone Carter. Matt SpaethGreg Eslinger not to mention barber and maroney all deserve honerable mention

Smith, Nagurski, Bell, and Thompson?

Who am I missing?

Smith, Nagurski, and Bell are no-brainers. The fourth could be any one of Giel, Thompson, Tom Brown, Eller, Tyrone Carter, Decker, Sandy Stephens, etc.

Smith, Nagurski, and Bell are no-brainers. The fourth could be any one of Giel, Thompson, Tom Brown, Eller, Tyrone Carter, Decker, Sandy Stephens, etc.

Does it include coaches?

Does it include coaches?

Good point. The problem is that Bierman is easily our most accomplished coach, but he's not well-known on a national or even regional scale.

Good point. The problem is that Bierman is easily our most accomplished coach, but he's not well-known on a national or even regional scale.

Totally. The other day I saw a photo of Bierman in his WW2 uniform. He should be known nationally but Gopher football hasn't done anything in the past 50 years to help his cause.

Decker was a very good player for the Gophers and has become a good pro, but he's not Mt. Rushmore material. Ditto for Spaeth and TC. If Thompson doesn't get the 4th slot, I'd go with Stephens or Giel.

Decker was a very good player for the Gophers and has become a good pro, but he's not Mt. Rushmore material. Ditto for Spaeth and TC. If Thompson doesn't get the 4th slot, I'd go with Stephens or Giel.

Or Eller.

I would be shocked if Sandy Stephens didn't make it.

Schools already announced on previous BTN broadcasts: Penn State, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana.

Still to be announced this week:

-Wednesday (Ohio State, Northwestern)
-Thursday (Michigan State, Maryland)
-Friday (Minnesota, Rutgers)

http://btn.com/the-mt-rushmores-of-big-ten-football/

Link to segment on BTN. Also, includes a nice interview with BTN's Mike Hall and Bobby Bell at the end.

http://www.btn.com/video/375261251894

Link to segment on BTN. Also, includes a nice interview with BTN's Mike Hall and Bobby Bell at the end.

http://www.btn.com/video/375261251894

It was a nice interview. Though the multiple references to how he was only a Gopher because Minnesota gave him a chance and he couldn't go anywhere in the South are a stark reminder of how long ago it was and that it will never be like that again.

Voted for three of the four; missed on Carter instead of Smith, who played on a team that had something like five All-Americans, contra Giel, whose team went .500 his senior year, with Bob McNamara injured much of the year.

Can't disagree with these four picks. You have to have Nagurski, Smith and Bell in there. You could pick Stephens, Eller or several other names instead of Giel.

Can't disagree with these four picks. You have to have Nagurski, Smith and Bell in there. You could pick Stevens, Eller or several other names instead of Giel.

The Spokesman-Recorder should be contacting you soon.

Can't disagree with these four picks. You have to have Nagurski, Smith and Bell in there. You could pick Stephens, Eller or several other names instead of Giel.

Let me guess, you never saw Giel play

I graduated from the U in 1996 and while I've heard of all 4 of those players and realize they are legends of Gopher football, it is a bit disappointing that there are no players from the era of Gopher football I grew up watching on the list. I'm not saying there should be, but just how different Gopher football was in the "old days".

Top Bottom