Gophers football attendance climbs while national avg sinks to lowest mark since 2000

supadupafly

Reaction score
Per Minneapolis Tribune Gridiron Gold blog:

"The Gophers had a narrow increase in home attendance this season, to 47,865 per game. According to a report from CBSSports.com, this came in a year when attendance across the nation dropped to its lowest since 2000."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/285862751.html

About where does MN rank in the B10 and nationally?

Would guess 8th to 10th in the conference and in the 40's or so nation wide?

No clue just a guess?

We increased, National average decreased.

Good for us.

I counted 9th in the Big Ten behind OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, wisconsin, MSU, Iwoa, and Rutgers.

I'm pretty sure gopherbadgerman cheated.

Rutgers? Ish. We got a ways to go. Better raise ticket prices.

Rutgers? Ish. We got a ways to go. Better raise ticket prices.

And away we go. :rolleyes:

jackie-gleason-1916-1987-granger.jpg

And away we go. :rolleyes:

jackie-gleason-1916-1987-granger.jpg

Wow, he's almost camouflaged like the famous birch trees scenes with horses and native americans waiting to be discovered in the
images. Fun image. Pants are too short on purpose to show the socks I'm betting. Looks like a nice wool too, perfect for a November Saturday afternoon. We need custom maroon and gold versions, only available to $10,000 and up donors for the athletic facilities.

Not too shabby number 47.8K average for a multi-market team.

We are competing for fan dollars with other sports venues. Let's not rush to expand TCF Field yet until we start winning B1G titles.

MN fans can turn hot/cold like the weather changes.

The Gophers have to achieve upper tier winning status to sustain bigger crowds in every home game.

Isn't a better metric for comparison our % capacity and how that changed YOY? It looks like the CBS list ranks based on the average attendance, which isn't a fair comparison since we have 50k seats and Ohio State has 100k.

From Shooter:

For its six seasons (2009-2014) at TCF Bank Stadium, the Gophers football team has averaged 48,389 spectators per game. In Minnesota's final six seasons (2003-2008) at the Metrodome, average attendance was 48,950.

I counted 9th in the Big Ten behind OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, wisconsin, MSU, Iwoa, and Rutgers.

I'm pretty sure gopherbadgerman cheated.

Honest guess. I would have guessed ahead of Rutgers but behind the other teams...

Isn't a better metric for comparison our % capacity and how that changed YOY? It looks like the CBS list ranks based on the average attendance, which isn't a fair comparison since we have 50k seats and Ohio State has 100k.

Actually the best metric would be total ticket revenue

From Shooter:

For its six seasons (2009-2014) at TCF Bank Stadium, the Gophers football team has averaged 48,389 spectators per game. In Minnesota's final six seasons (2003-2008) at the Metrodome, average attendance was 48,950.

Medians might be better than means in this case, because the Dome had a much higher capacity which really boosts that mean score. 2009-2014 has been much more consistent and has had higher median attendance, nearly 1,800 more at the typical game.

2003-2008: 47,044 (min: 34,006; max: 65,089; standard deviation: 8,450)
2009-2014: 48,801 (min: 41,062; max: 53,090; standard deviation: 2,923)

Medians might be better than means in this case, because the Dome had a much higher capacity which really boosts that mean score. 2009-2014 has been much more consistent and has had higher median attendance, nearly 1,800 more at the typical game.

2003-2008: 47,044 (min: 34,006; max: 65,089; standard deviation: 8,450)
2009-2014: 48,801 (min: 41,062; max: 53,090; standard deviation: 2,923)

Also, because the dome was larger, there was generally a lot more visiting fans (especially Iowa & Wisconsin) at the games in the past.

The number isn't anything to brag about but I do think the amount of Gopher fans going to home games has increased since the dome days.

Is it your contention that with a 100K person stadium Minnesota's attendance would rival Ohio State's?

Gophers football attendance climbs while national avg sinks to lowest mark si...

Is it your contention that with a 100K person stadium Minnesota's attendance would rival Ohio State's?

Well ya 90% stadium capacity in a 53k stadium and 90% capacity in a 100k is a logical assumption to make.

Also, because the dome was larger, there was generally a lot more visiting fans (especially Iowa & Wisconsin) at the games in the past.

The number isn't anything to brag about but I do think the amount of Gopher fans going to home games has increased since the dome days.

Thousands more $10 and $20 gets you a" ticket, Coke and a hot dog" deals too in those days.

Wow, he's almost camouflaged like the famous birch trees scenes with horses and native americans waiting to be discovered in the
images. Fun image. Pants are too short on purpose to show the socks I'm betting. Looks like a nice wool too, perfect for a November Saturday afternoon. We need custom maroon and gold versions, only available to $10,000 and up donors for the athletic facilities.

Na have Ms. Doolittle paint one with a Gopher theme. Then sell the original and prints at a price to pay her and contribute to the athletics department.

http://www.bevdoolittle.net/Default.asp?!=W&ID=12802

Well ya 90% stadium capacity in a 53k stadium and 90% capacity in a 100k is a logical assumption to make.

They probably should have made TCF with a 200k capacity so it would have had the largest attendance in the nation.

No, my point is TCF has a constraint in being a smaller stadium. We will most likely always have a lower attendance number by headcount vs. most of the conference because we can only put 53k in the seats.

So when comparing attendance, it may make more sense to look at how well you put fans in the seats on a % capacity basis. The size of TCF reflects the demand for CFB tickets in the Twin Cities. If we can fill it better than the bigger stadiums in the B1G on a % capacity basis than we are successfully drawing in our market.

My point is, we might rank higher in the conference in attendance numbers by a % capacity per game metric

Top Bottom