Paul Chryst poised to return to UW as head coach, according to source

Let's get back to the subject at hand.

I find it interesting that programs, when choosing a new coach, often look first and foremost to overcome the precieved liability of a just departed coach (or coaches). In other words, the new coach is picked in reaction to the previous coach.

For example, Glen Mason was considered a poor recruiter, so Tim Brewster, considered a world class recuiter, was hired.

Then Tim Brewster proved to be a world class bull$hit artist, so Jerry Kill, known for his straighforwardness and basics-driven approach, was hired.

Now Wisconsin has lost two coaches in short order. They seem to be reacting by having "Wisconsin Guy" be the at top of the criteria.

Maybe it will work, but maybe not.

That's a great point. It is funny how ADs always seem to be reacting to the last mistake. Now Wisconsin is trying to hire a guy who won't leave them.

I gotta say, seeing as how I want Wisconsin to fail, that I'd rather take my chances with Chryst than with Andersen. Andersen seemed to have them rolling in the right direction and he sure built Utah State up. He clearly knew how to run a program. Coordinators sometimes work out and sometimes don't. At Pitt, it was very inconclusive how well he was going to do, but he wasn't clearly succeeding or failing.

When BA retired, he chose Bielema over Chryst, even though Chryst had been there longer. That's pretty telling to me. Now obviously, he didn't think that badly of Chryst, because he's willing to hire him now, but also now he needs to hire a "Wisconsin guy", so it puts the thumb on the scale for Chryst. We'll see how it works out. No one knows as of today and anyone who says they do is lying.

Let's get back to the subject at hand.

I find it interesting that programs, when choosing a new coach, often look first and foremost to overcome the precieved liability of a just departed coach (or coaches). In other words, the new coach is picked in reaction to the previous coach.

For example, Glen Mason was considered a poor recruiter, so Tim Brewster, considered a world class recuiter, was hired.

Then Tim Brewster proved to be a world class bull$hit artist, so Jerry Kill, known for his straighforwardness and basics-driven approach, was hired.

Now Wisconsin has lost two coaches in short order. They seem to be reacting by having "Wisconsin Guy" be the at top of the criteria.

Maybe it will work, but maybe not.

Could probably put Michigan in that mold too.

Jan. 2012

"That being said, I think Paul Chryst will absolutely melt under the pressure of being a head coach. His personality and interpersonal skills do not match well with the requirements of the role."

"Frankly, the fact that BA had to sell him because he couldn't 100% sell himself is sort of telling, at least to me."

"We won two Rose Bowls without Chryst. We'll be fine, just gotta let it all work itself out."

"Based on what I heard of how the Chryst exit has gone done, he can f*** off and go be a mediocre head coach at Pitt (he will be)."

Tell me these are vadgerNurse quotes!!??

So Pitt fired their AD as well with Chryst opting to leave, and the fans at Pitt seem ecstatic for the news! FWIW they are happy as hell at the turn of events and like the outlook of the program even without having a new coach/AD in place. Chryst was obviously not held close to their hearts.

So Pitt fired their AD as well with Chryst opting to leave, and the fans at Pitt seem ecstatic for the news! FWIW they are happy as hell at the turn of events and like the outlook of the program even without having a new coach/AD in place. Chryst was obviously not held close to their hearts.

It's no different than the rationalizing badgerdoc is doing with regards to Andersen.

Not to long ago you Vadger fans hated the guy because when he left for Pitt he was trying to poach all Bielemas recruits.

hr's a decent hire should be a great PUPPET for the Godfather.

Not the way I remember it at all. Pitt fans who came to the Badger Scout board were congratulated on a fine hire. Badger fans, long resigned to seeing him go, were sad, but generally not angry.

Top Bottom