Paul Chryst poised to return to UW as head coach, according to source

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/285578791.html

They must have a really good source to go with this:

According to a source close to the UW program, former UW assistant Paul Chryst is poised to return to his alma mater.

“I thought this would be the scenario from Day 1,” the source told the Journal Sentinel. “He will put together a good staff.”

Another source:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ICYMI earlier, this was Pitt's statement:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Very vague.

This probably doesn't mean much, but Wikipedia says he's the current head football coach for Wisconsin. Man alive, people are sure proactive these days!:)

I am poised to coach Wisconsin too. I'm just putting that out there.

I am poised to coach Wisconsin too. I'm just putting that out there.

Cool! Are you prepared to put a statue of Barry on the end table next to your lamp that you'll stare at directly from your mahogany desk? And, who's going to be your starting QB next year? :)

Paul Chryst is the new Wisconsin coach. Its all over the internet now. ESPN Cbs sports and others.

UW made a good hire. He fits the system, is a Wisconsin guy, Madison native.

He doesn't have the splash that a lot of the Badger faithful wanted but he'll likely prove to be a solid choice.

We can't rely on UW regressing, we need to keep progressing to be considered among the conference elite.

Next year will be very interesting as both us and UW are replacing 9 starters, with most of their losses coming in their front 7 and 3/5 OLinemen.

UW made a good hire. He fits the system, is a Wisconsin guy, Madison native.

He doesn't have the splash that a lot of the Badger faithful wanted but he'll likely prove to be a solid choice.

We can't rely on UW regressing, we need to keep progressing to be considered among the conference elite.

Next year will be very interesting as both us and UW are replacing 9 starters, with most of their losses coming in their front 7 and 3/5 OLinemen.

Agree. This is an upgrade for Becky I'm afraid. Chryst was the reason many people believe the Beilema teams were successful. He was the OC for all of those prolific Badger offenses. He had a so so record at Pitt, but let's face it. That's Pitt. To me Wisky is now scarier than they were a week ago. This will probably keep their recruiting class largely intact too, unfortunately. One day to replace Anderson. Wow!

Oh thank God. The right man for this job. No doubt. He is from Wisconsin, he played at Wisconsin, he coached at Wisconsin. He knows Barry as well as anyone and he wants to be the head coach here. And oh yeah, he us an offensive genius and a great developer of QBs.

With the right DC the Badgers just experienced an upgrade.

Oh thank God. The right man for this job. No doubt. He is from Wisconsin, he played at Wisconsin, he coached at Wisconsin. He knows Barry as well as anyone and he wants to be the head coach here. And oh yeah, he us an offensive genius and a great developer of QBs.

Not to long ago you Vadger fans hated the guy because when he left for Pitt he was trying to poach all Bielemas recruits.

hr's a decent hire should be a great PUPPET for the Godfather.

Most fans I know never hated him for a second. He needed to leave and be a head coach somewhere else. He has always been clear that this was his destination job. He is the best person we could hire now.

The crap about BA meddling in the program is just plain false. GA has flatly denied it. I am much more worried about who PC hires as his DC and how they deal with our current defensive recruits that were recruited with the 3-4 in mind.

Good another mediocre hire. Enjoy your 6-7 win seasons and looking up at the Gophers for the next several years.

Bwwhaha! 3:50AM! Get a freaking life dude. You're pathetic. Btw - The bwwhaha part was for your silly little chest thump speech about Chryst.

That 19-19 record is pretty impressive. Looks like Wisconsin got their own version of the "Michigan man" hope it works out just as well as Hoke did at Michigan.

Bwwhaha! 3:50AM! Get a freaking life dude. You're pathetic. Btw - The bwwhaha part was for your silly little chest thump speech about Chryst.

Newflash dude. I sonr know abour the mighty twin citiws bur down here in Wisconsin, hospitals stay open all night long. I just happened to be on call when the breaking news was happening

His record at Pitt is pretty underwhelming. I love this hire!

Back on a real computer. So exactly what about my "little chest thump speech" is inaccurate? Pretty much the facts. Sorry.

Newflash dude. I sonr know abour the mighty twin citiws bur down here in Wisconsin, hospitals stay open all night long. I just happened to be on call when the breaking news was happening

It's a darn good thing your hospitals stay open all night with all the falling down drunks that come in on a nightly basis.

It was really their only option. They wanted to poach him before GA, but he wouldn't leave Pitt that soon. BA's offense fits him. The only other option would have them fall for in line behind Michigan and look for a D1A coach.

Looking back, the U was a very attractive job. We don't have the unrealistic fan base or admin that wants to meddle with the coach.

Nebraska and Wisconsin both hire ex Oregon State coaches and Michigan fires one. Guess Riley and Chryst will have to cancel their offseason offensive coaching strategy sessions in San Antonio.
PC is a fantastic OC, the question was if he had the skill set to be the head guy.

Not surprised. Decent guy. Great coordinator. We'll have to wait and see if that translates to success as a head coach. Curious to see if he brings a lot of the old Wisconsin assistants who are at Pitt with him back to Madison.

One thing I noticed about Andersen is that he was in the process of changing elements of the Wisconsin "pound on the ground" offense that Alvarez had established and Bielema had continued. There were always a few wrinkles thrown in based on personnel changes year-to-year (and Chryst probably was responsible for those effective wrinkles), but Wisconsin's style appeared to change some under Andersen. Or maybe it was the offensive line. Even when they were racking up big yards on the ground this season, I thought their o-line didn't compare favorably to their great lines of the past.

BadgerDoc claimed he was a great developer of QBs.... I don't remember Wisconsin ever developing a great QB... where and who did he do this with?

That 19-19 record is pretty impressive. Looks like Wisconsin got their own version of the "Michigan man" hope it works out just as well as Hoke did at Michigan.

Kill at Minnesota: 25-26

Huge upgrade for you guys. I really wanted Anderson to stay.

Gary Andersen was 13-3 in Big Ten play.

Paul Chryst's record in 3 seasons at Pitt is mediocre.

I get that Chryst is a nice guy and probably likely to look at Wiscy as a destination job. But how exactly is this being termed an automatic upgrade?

Top Bottom