Newly released video shows full encounter between Nelson and Kolstad

ProfessorBum

Reaction score
I know Phillip Nelson is an old story, but I found this video and the narration by the reporter to be pretty interesting. It starts with Kolstad throwing the first sucker punch. Although, we don't see what might have happened before that in the bar.

http://www.keyc.com/story/27590062/full-video-of-nelsonkolstad-altercation-released

Sorry if this is already posted elsewhere. I did a quick scan of the board and didn't see anything.

Nelson should be given probation, Kolstad should feel the media wrath that Nelson did. Won't happen, but that's what would happen in a sane universe.

Nothing will ever excuse kicking a guy in the head but seeing that video it is very clear why Nelson was pissed and looking for a fight. Kolstad has been given a pass due to his injuries but he is definitely not an innocent victim in all of this as he threw the first punch.

We needed another thread on this.

I'll say this: That video certainly doesn't look like Nelson lost his mind and beat a dude half to death as the initial reports made it sound

I'll say this: That video certainly doesn't look like Nelson lost his mind and beat a dude half to death as the initial reports made it sound

Video totally changed my opinion of the case. Kolstad did not deserve the injuries that were inflicted on him, but totally understand Nelson and Shelley's actions now. It is not right, but the initial reports were that Nelson was a lunatic acting vicious and ruthless.

Hmmm. A blindside shot, a second blindside shot and a kick to the head of a defenseless, prostrate person. Raises more questions than provides answers. One bothersome thought: Seems all three have developed effective methods of striking someone unprepared to offer a defense. Ugly all the way around.

Glad to have seen this. Definitely changes the narrative.

And all their lives changed for the worse in about 8 seconds. Smart decisions are rarely made walking around outside a bar late at night. Totally changed my opinion on Nelson though.

I've never understood why guys (and girls I guess) argue and fight after going out and having a few drinks. I used to drink and hang out at bars a lot, and never had the urge to KO anyone even when I was provoked. It's sad to see someone get hurt, but the source of these circumstances is still a bunch of idiots who can't control themselves.

I know that came across wrong, he still was, but definitely was provoked. I should have said the intital reports did not accurately show how the events unfolded. They said he kicked a guy in the head, which was a fact, but less than 5 seconds before that he was laying on the ground. Did he respond appropriately? Of course not.

Nothing will ever excuse kicking a guy in the head but seeing that video it is very clear why Nelson was pissed and looking for a fight. Kolstad has been given a pass due to his injuries but he is definitely not an innocent victim in all of this as he threw the first punch.

I'm not trying to paint Kolstad as this evil guy and my heart goes out to him as he struggles with his recovery, but there's two sides to every story and while this won't exonerate Nelson, it will likely lessen the punishment. There's still no excuse for kicking a guy in the head when he's helpless and my guess is Nelson will pay for this. At the risk of sounding like a finger-wagging bluenose, I still find it very odd that Kolstad's out running around at 2 AM on a Sunday morning with a pregnant wife and kid at home.

I've never understood why guys (and girls I guess) argue and fight after going out and having a few drinks. I used to drink and hang out at bars a lot, and never had the urge to KO anyone even when I was provoked. It's sad to see someone get hurt, but the source of these circumstances is still a bunch of idiots who can't control themselves.

I drank the West Bank dry in the 1970s and early-1980s and never came near an altercation. In fact, I don't think I ever even witnessed one. Of course, I had some pretty hefty beer goggles on (with tequila lenses), so I am not a very reliable witness.

I know that came across wrong, he still was, but definitely was provoked. I should have said the intital reports did not accurately show how the events unfolded. They said he kicked a guy in the head, which was a fact, but less than 5 seconds before that he was laying on the ground. Did he respond appropriately? Of course not.

Fair enough. I agree. However, we all knew he was pushed first. That wasn't new news. This video does make Kolstad appear to be more aggressive than reported, but the point, in my mind and legally I think, has always been was PN defending himself? Searching out the guy who punched you and kicking him in the head when he is down is hardly defending yourself.

What Kolstad did was bad, but PN was hardly justified in his response. Not you, but others on the board here seem to think he was. Two wrongs....

I completely agree. It's obviously very wrong to kick anyone (or hit anyone) - but the video made it look very different. He got one hit/kick in after the guy punch him in the back. It would have been very rare that any guy would just take that and walk away. I feel bad for all parties, as their lives have all been destroyed from these 8 seconds. There's no doubt that Phillip was made out to be a monster, and he really was a guy that was just trying to get even with someone who sucker punched him.

I completely agree. It's obviously very wrong to kick anyone (or hit anyone) - but the video made it look very different. He got one hit/kick in after the guy punch him in the back. It would have been very rare that any guy would just take that and walk away. I feel bad for all parties, as their lives have all been destroyed from these 8 seconds. There's no doubt that Phillip was made out to be a monster, and he really was a guy that was just trying to get even with someone who sucker punched him.
The majority of guys I know would not kick an unconscious man in the head, even in retaliation.

The majority of guys I know would not kick an unconscious man in the head, even in retaliation.

I think in the split second he decided to do that, he didn't know he was unconscious. He probably thought he just hit the ground. Once again, this doesn't make it right, but he doesn't deserve a lifetime in jail like people were calling for.

I think in the split second he decided to do that, he didn't know he was unconscious. He probably thought he just hit the ground. Once again, this doesn't make it right, but he doesn't deserve a lifetime in jail like people were calling for.

I agree. My image of this has changed after seeing the video. As you say, never smart to kick someone in the head. But, it wasn't exactly like an execution scene from "The Untouchables" as it was often described. I know it was reported to be an incident that transpired very quickly. Seeing it on video gives a better feeling of just how fast it all went down. Lightning fast.

i'm guessing you'd be surprised at the reactions of your pacifist friends if they're sucker punched by a guy they can't stand after a night of drinking in their early 20's. this wasn't a reginald denny beating, it was kicking a guy that just punched them. seeing kolstad walk around now is truly sad but the guy deserves his share of the heat, for sure.

I agree. My image of this has changed after seeing the video. As you say, never smart to kick someone in the head. But, it wasn't exactly like an execution scene from "The Untouchables" as it was often described. I know it was reported to be an incident that transpired very quickly. Seeing it on video gives a better feeling of just how fast it all went down. Lightning fast.

I agree with this.

Thought it all started by something Nelson said/did inside the bar?

The original story was a bouncer hit on PN's girlfriend and Kolstad was attacked because PN thought Kolstad was the bouncer.

Thanks, forgot that part. If I remember Nelson went after Kolstad inside the bar first because of that wrong impression. Don't remember if it was just verbally or if Nelson confronted him physically or not.

i'm guessing you'd be surprised at the reactions of your pacifist friends if they're sucker punched by a guy they can't stand after a night of drinking in their early 20's. this wasn't a reginald denny beating, it was kicking a guy that just punched them. seeing kolstad walk around now is truly sad but the guy deserves his share of the heat, for sure.
You are guessing wrong.
Fighting back against a guy still standing and concious. Yes.
Kicking a guy in the head out cold on the ground. No.

Hmmm. A blindside shot, a second blindside shot and a kick to the head of a defenseless, prostrate person. Raises more questions than provides answers. One bothersome thought: Seems all three have developed effective methods of striking someone unprepared to offer a defense. Ugly all the way around.

This is all you need to know about both guys. No need to pick sides.

Thought it all started by something Nelson said/did inside the bar?

In my opinion nothing prior to the first blow really matters. Nelson clearly was not threatening Kolstad in any physical way at the time he attacked him from behind. Still doesn't excuse what Nelson did and he deserves to and will be punished for his actions but this clearly shows the heat of the moment aspect of what happened and I sincerely hope that Kolstad receives some form of punishment for his actions in this as well because he is clearly not blameless or the innocent victim as many have tried to make him out to be. Just stupid/violent behavior all the way around in this one.

Top Bottom