MN Daily: Gaston Diedhiou could be eligible to join Gophers within a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're the only one pimping the "holistic view" theory. Can you admit it's pure speculation?

I'm sure he'll get back to you, just as soon as he finishes tracking Trevor's latest whereabouts in Europe, and poring over Dre Hollins', Justin Morneau's and Jerry Kill's latest medical reports.

No. He has no scholarship.

Here is a quote from GopherHole a while back paraphrasing/quoting Pitino on a radio show re Gaston.

Pitino on Gaston…We received some disappointing news and it’s a bit of a speed bump and we’ll make the best of the situation. We’re confident he’ll be ready by second semester.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...0ESPN-talked-Gaston-big-men-The-Barn-amp-more

I believe Pitino has since realized he cannot talk about Gaston since he now technically is a recruit. I assume if he is admitted to the University for the 2nd semester he will be on Scholarship. But I have no inside sources.

You're the only one pimping the "holistic view" theory. Can you admit it's pure speculation?

"Those sources told the Star Tribune that Diedhiou’s English proficiency test scores were cited as the major concern. Minnesota does not have any thresholds for proficiency test scores set in stone, director of admissions Rachelle Hernandez said, but the results are considered as part of a holistic review done for every applicant. After being advised by other members of the department, Hernandez ultimately makes the decision whether to admit the prospective student."

From: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/272819931.html

Some people are attacking Gopher Warrior here, but he's always been consistent in his belief that Gaston was shaky on both academic and athletic levels. I think it's reasonable to believe the staff could just decide that they don't want Gaston at this point and that might influence the decision making in this case.

"Those sources told the Star Tribune that Diedhiou’s English proficiency test scores were cited as the major concern. Minnesota does not have any thresholds for proficiency test scores set in stone, director of admissions Rachelle Hernandez said, but the results are considered as part of a holistic review done for every applicant. After being advised by other members of the department, Hernandez ultimately makes the decision whether to admit the prospective student."

From: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/272819931.html

Some people are attacking Gopher Warrior here, but he's always been consistent in his belief that Gaston was shaky on both academic and athletic levels. I think it's reasonable to believe the staff could just decide that they don't want Gaston at this point and that might influence the decision making in this case.

To be fair, Gopher Warrior has no idea what level of basketball player Gaston is. None whatsoever. None of us do.

To be fair, Gopher Warrior has no idea what level of basketball player Gaston is. None whatsoever. None of us do.

Pitino probably does.

Yep, I just assume that if we wanted him before, we still want him especially after all of the players leaving. If we really didn't want him then we wouldn't have accepted him and just let the scholly ride open for the season or give it to kendal shell for the year.

So in other words, I have a hard time seeing the coaches deciding we don't want him now. What has changed between now and when we recruited him?

"Those sources told the Star Tribune that Diedhiou’s English proficiency test scores were cited as the major concern. Minnesota does not have any thresholds for proficiency test scores set in stone, director of admissions Rachelle Hernandez said, but the results are considered as part of a holistic review done for every applicant. After being advised by other members of the department, Hernandez ultimately makes the decision whether to admit the prospective student." From: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/272819931.html Some people are attacking Gopher Warrior here, but he's always been consistent in his belief that Gaston was shaky on both academic and athletic levels. I think it's reasonable to believe the staff could just decide that they don't want Gaston at this point and that might influence the decision making in this case.

Fair enough. Didn't realize that's where the term holistic originated. My beef was with what GW is implying is part of that "holistic" review.

My point is that Pitino orchestrating and/or encouraging the admissions hiccup is all speculation. There is no evidence to believe the basketball team is supportive of the admissions department's decision to deny Gaston.

I think it's reasonable to believe Gopher Warrior is completely nuts on this point. It defies belief that our staff would drag Diedhou over here to the U.S., get somebody to pay for his housing and English classes, publicly complain about him not being admitted, bring him to nearly every one of our games, and wait an entire half season to try to get him eligible, all the while reserving a scholarship for him ... for a guy they're not confident in.

If he doesn't get in, it is purely for academic reasons, period.

Pitino probably does.

Yep, I just assume that if we wanted him before, we still want him especially after all of the players leaving. If we really didn't want him then we wouldn't have accepted him and just let the scholly ride open for the season or give it to kendal shell for the year.

So in other words, I have a hard time seeing the coaches deciding we don't want him now. What has changed between now and when we recruited him?

Probably does, but I was just referring to those of us on Gopher Hole.

I think it's reasonable to believe Gopher Warrior is completely nuts on this point. It defies belief that our staff would drag Diedhou over here to the U.S., get somebody to pay for his housing and English classes, publicly complain about him not being admitted, bring him to nearly every one of our games, and wait an entire half season to try to get him eligible, all the while reserving a scholarship for him ... for a guy they're not confident in.

+1

And apparently if you post GW's ridiculous quotes/theories on this topic they get deleted. Makes sense.

Exactly. Gopher Warrior, would love to hear your response.

Gopher Warrior loves to make random claims in desperate hope that people will think he has inside info. It's extremely important to him.

I'm not just trying to rag on GW as he makes a lot of interesting points on this board. It's just that in this case (along with a few others in the past) he seems to be persisting in his long-held claims that the coaches don't really want Diedhou that badly, in the face of a large and growing pile of evidence that they do. Better off just to admit that his initial take on the situation back in September was wrong.

I'm not just trying to rag on GW as he makes a lot of interesting points on this board. It's just that in this case (along with a few others in the past) he seems to be persisting in his long-held claims that the coaches don't really want Diedhou that badly, in the face of a large and growing pile of evidence that they do. Better off just to admit that his initial take on the situation back in September was wrong.

Or we could just wait and see if he's right. Which is what the rest of us are doing instead of piling on someone that might know something we do not.

I'm not going to call it one way or another because I don't think any of us really know, but it doesn't seem as far-fetched to me as it does to others in part because of the timing. When Diedhiou committed in April, the Gophers had three open scholarships and less favorable prospects, if for no other reason than the availability of recruits in the spring signing period. Any team is forced to take on more marginal prospects in the spring (other than the real elite guys who were not looking at the Gophers). Then the summer rolls around and the Gophers get on a recruiting roll with four commitments by Labor Day and suddenly no open scholarships. But they still had Gaston in the wings--potentially a bigger academic risk due to concerns with his English and likely a more marginal prospect than the others they had signed in the meantime. At that point, does an open scholarship look more desirable than a marginal prospect? I guess that I can't completely rule that out.

Now -- all bets are off because the situation has changed dramatically with the Lofton/McNeil/Martin situations. I'm guessing they would happily take him now.

Now -- all bets are off because the situation has changed dramatically with the Lofton/McNeil/Martin situations. I'm guessing they would happily take him now.

You really think they had him move here, stay in close contact and work to join the team in January just in case something like the mess of Lofton/McNeil/Martin happened?

If Martin had not left the team they would have waited for him to meet the English standards and then tell him sorry, we really don't need you. Good effort though, good luck elsewhere.

Not buying it.

You really think they had him move here, stay in close contact and work to join the team in January just in case something like the mess of Lofton/McNeil/Martin happened?

If Martin had not left the team they would have waited for him to meet the English standards and then tell him sorry, we really don't need you. Good effort though, good luck elsewhere.

Not buying it.

Can tell him the same thing they said in the fall. "Sorry, damn school's holistic review won't allow you."

But... the roster churn the past couple of months may help sway the "holistic view" in his favor

Can tell him the same thing they said in the fall. "Sorry, damn school's holistic review won't allow you."

But... the roster churn the past couple of months may help sway the "holistic view" in his favor

Not buying it.

We can get by with or without him the rest of the year. If he is with the team in a couple of weeks, I don't think it will have anything to do with the roster churn.

Still expecting Andre to take that redshirt year? His injuries sure seem to be bothering him, don't they?

Or we could just wait and see if he's right. Which is what the rest of us are doing instead of piling on someone that might know something we do not.

Except he's proven multiple times that he doesn't have any inside info but gets off on pretending he does. There's no way to 'prove' anything in this case. If Gaston doesn't get in, he'll claim his stupid conspiracy theory is right rather than the far more likely case of U Admissions being unreasonable. If he does get it in, he'll claim Pitino had a 'change of heart.'

The U's admissions aren't unreasonable. He need's to get his scores up. His original scored showed he didn't have basic English reading skills.

Except he's proven multiple times that he doesn't have any inside info but gets off on pretending he does. There's no way to 'prove' anything in this case. If Gaston doesn't get in, he'll claim his stupid conspiracy theory is right rather than the far more likely case of U Admissions being unreasonable. If he does get it in, he'll claim Pitino had a 'change of heart.'

If his suggestions aren't worth much, here is a rule of thumb: don't give them so much attention. The only thing continuing this thread is the back and forth about GW; there is little or no information about Gaston. This is how forums degenerate into virtual worthlessness.

I think the best thing that could happen to D-I revenue sports is to let the head football & men's basketball coaches at major colleges/universities determine who gets admitted into the school for the benefit of their programs. There would be no problems whatsoever, on court/field or off. Yea, that's the ticket.

If his suggestions aren't worth much, here is a rule of thumb: don't give them so much attention. The only thing continuing this thread is the back and forth about GW; there is little or no information about Gaston. This is how forums degenerate into virtual worthlessness.

I agree with you, but since there isn't any Gaston news....it should be ok to speculate about Gaston in a Gaston thread. It deteriorates to virtual worthlessness when people bring up garbage like "How is Andre Hollins feeling"?

I guess we can all choose to believe one random internet message board poster over another random internet message board poster.

Except GW's story is a figment of imagination.

Gaston Diedhiou, a 6-9 forward and native of Senegal who played at a high school in the Canary Islands last year, passed the NCAA Clearinghouse — typically the major academic hurdle — as a full qualifier earlier this summer, but he was denied by the school’s office of admissions, which deemed him unprepared for academic success at Minnesota, according to multiple university officials.

Those sources told the Star Tribune that Diedhiou’s English proficiency test scores were cited as the major concern.

I get that GW has said some pretty outrageous things on this site over the years.... But seriously, let it go. If it makes you feel good to take shots at people over the internet, I feel sorry for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom