MN Daily: Gaston Diedhiou could be eligible to join Gophers within a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
If worst came to worst, could he technically still come back or no?

Re: Oto

I was kinda wondering about Oto's status too. I don't know that I have ever seen a situation like his. It seems last year Pitino asked the NCAA to allow Oto to remain on scholarship this year (as a Graduate Student) but not be counted as one of the 13 Scholarship players on the roster because of his knee condition. He would serve as a Graduate Assistant Coach. Now it seems we have 3 or 4 scholarship openings - I am starting to lose count. Just for the sake of discussion let's say Oto has made a miraculous recovery under the care of doctors at the University. It seems to me Pitino would then have to go back to the NCAA and ask them to reverse the previous request from Pitino (UofM) and change Oto's status from Graduate Assistant Coach back to Scholarship Player. Likely a moot point due to the condition of his knees. And maybe that process cannot be reversed. But a healthy Oto could certainly help.

Credibility Lost

Re: Oto

I was kinda wondering about Oto's status too. I don't know that I have ever seen a situation like his. It seems last year Pitino asked the NCAA to allow Oto to remain on scholarship this year (as a Graduate Student) but not be counted as one of the 13 Scholarship players on the roster because of his knee condition. He would serve as a Graduate Assistant Coach. Now it seems we have 3 or 4 scholarship openings - I am starting to lose count. Just for the sake of discussion let's say Oto has made a miraculous recovery under the care of doctors at the University. It seems to me Pitino would then have to go back to the NCAA and ask them to reverse the previous request from Pitino (UofM) and change Oto's status from Graduate Assistant Coach back to Scholarship Player. Likely a moot point due to the condition of his knees. And maybe that process cannot be reversed. But a healthy Oto could certainly help.

No way we can bring back Oto. It would limit Pitino's credibility.

No way we can bring back Oto. It would limit Pitino's credibility.

With who? The NCAA? By all accounts it's a genuine injury and he can't manage the grind of a whole season. But he already came back and played in the NIT and perhaps could do it again for a few games in a pinch.

With who? The NCAA? By all accounts it's a genuine injury and he can't manage the grind of a whole season. But he already came back and played in the NIT and perhaps could do it again for a few games in a pinch.

You have to choose your requests for favors and this one is not choosing wisely. Don't you think that the NCAA's denial of the second Florida International transfer during Pitino's first summer was related to the fact that there was already one FIU to Minnesota transfer, an FIU recruit decommit, and the somewhat shaky Joey King waiver? The denial really didn't make sense out of context.

You have to choose your requests for favors and this one is not choosing wisely. Don't you think that the NCAA's denial of the second Florida International transfer during Pitino's first summer was related to the fact that there was already one FIU to Minnesota transfer, an FIU recruit decommit, and the somewhat shaky Joey King waiver? The denial really didn't make sense out of context.

No. I believe the NCAA really has a random decision wheel they spin. It's the only logical explanation.

Would we be requesting any favors? I thought the favor was them getting us to let him scholarship while not counting against our total. At this point, we have open scholarships and he has remaining eligibility, so I guess I am not sure what kind of special permission we would need. Admittedly I am no expert on the situation, so I might be talking sideways out my backside.

STrib: Diedhiou to retake English proficiency test next week

University of Minnesota international freshman recruit Gaston Diedhiou will retake an English proficiency test next week and the team could know his eligibility status within a few days according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Diedhiou -- a 6-foot-9 forward and native of Senegal who played in Spain's Canary Islands last year -- committed to Minnesota and new coach Richard Pitino in April but was denied entry by the school's office of admissions.

Director of admissions Rachelle Hernandez would have to approve Diedhiou's new test scores. If she does, Diedhiou would be eligible to compete and receive scholarship money when the second semester begins.

There is no minimum score guidelines for the test -- it's essentially a judgement call, Hernandez explained this summer.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/285631931.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

University of Minnesota international freshman recruit Gaston Diedhiou will retake an English proficiency test next week and the team could know his eligibility status within a few days according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Diedhiou -- a 6-foot-9 forward and native of Senegal who played in Spain's Canary Islands last year -- committed to Minnesota and new coach Richard Pitino in April but was denied entry by the school's office of admissions.

Director of admissions Rachelle Hernandez would have to approve Diedhiou's new test scores. If she does, Diedhiou would be eligible to compete and receive scholarship money when the second semester begins.

There is no minimum score guidelines for the test -- it's essentially a judgement call, Hernandez explained this summer.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/285631931.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

This ticks me off just to read this. I know it's not new information but for goodness sakes, they could have let the guy take classes, be eligible for practice and remain heavily monitored on the English aspect. This is just so uncreative on the part of the U's admissions department. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

No. I believe the NCAA really has a random decision wheel they spin. It's the only logical explanation.

Sounds like they share the same random decision wheel as the U's admissions department......

regardless of the outcome, kudos to GD for his perseverance. Rachelle, use the all 'yes' 8 ball please

Go Gophers!!

@fwallen If the administration thinks(dictates) that he must take a proficiency exam in English, they should also require TA's and faculty to do the same. Talk about bias against the Athletes, this is an egregious example. You can't understand some of the lectures at t he U and these people get paid,

I loved this comment from the Trib web site, who knows I might have attended some of those calculus classes if this rule had been in place for the faculty.

In chemistry international students do have to take a english proficiency test in order to become a TA(and get accepted into the program). They have to take the TOEFL(Test of English as a Foreign Language) and get a good enough score to even get accepted into their graduate programs. The written part of the test is combined with the speaking part for the total grade. Without passing with a high enough score on the Speaking part the students aren't allowed to become a TA. This doesn't require perfect english to pass.

Edit: I'm not sure about other subjects but the STEM fields tend to all be about the same.

I'm pretty damn sure that Gaston speaks and understands English better than the tele-marketer who just called me. I think the guy was trying to speak English, but I literally could not understand a single word the guy said. (normally, I tell tele-marketers where to stick their phone, but in the case of this guy, I just hung up, because I didn't think he'd understand what I was telling him to do)

I'm pretty damn sure that Gaston speaks and understands English better than the tele-marketer who just called me. I think the guy was trying to speak English, but I literally could not understand a single word the guy said. (normally, I tell tele-marketers where to stick their phone, but in the case of this guy, I just hung up, because I didn't think he'd understand what I was telling him to do)

Probably for the best. If you are a big fisherman who liked to mount his trophies, you could have ended up with his phone up your bass.

GW, what's the latest you've heard on GD? Any sense on when we might hear something with regards to his availability for the rest of the season?

Have heard things, but belief factor in what I've heard is minimal. Hard to call it.

Quick answer: Tough to call. Wouldn't be surprised with any timing or any conclusion.

Longer babbling:
My sense on timing is not for a couple of weeks. I realize that this thread started as a 'may join the team within a week' 5 days ago, but my guess is we're talking very late December or into January.

As to what happens.. IMO depends on a number of factors, one of which is how good he's looked playing pick up ball. With Martin especially, but Lofton and McNeil gone as well, and the roster make-up... the staff may be more open to adding him. But, if they see little value this year (or beyond) I think they leave things as they are...

If I had to guess, would probably lean toward him not being added.. but for those who loves my percentages... I'm maybe at 60%/40% on that now... which is a lot closer than it was before the in-season defections.

Thanks, GW. Either way, I think it's unrealistic to expect anything from him this season if he's added to the roster. Pretty rare for a guy to come in off the street and contribute anything meaningful for the Big Ten season. If Bakary's raw, would imagine GD would even more raw.

Either way, I think it's unrealistic to expect anything from him this season if he's added to the roster. Pretty rare for a guy to come in off the street and contribute anything meaningful for the Big Ten season.

Just to put a different rose colored spin to it I am hoping to see positive things from Gaston this season. This is based on nothing except what I read on GopherHole.

According to GH somewhere Gaston is allowed to watch practice. So I am making the leap that Gaston - after practice is over and the coaches have left - has asked some of the players to stick around for a few minutes and run through a few of the plays that were just gone over in practice. If my idle speculation is correct then he may be more ready to contribute right away than some of us expect.

Have heard things, but belief factor in what I've heard is minimal. Hard to call it.

Quick answer: Tough to call. Wouldn't be surprised with any timing or any conclusion.

Longer babbling:
My sense on timing is not for a couple of weeks. I realize that this thread started as a 'may join the team within a week' 5 days ago, but my guess is we're talking very late December or into January.

As to what happens.. IMO depends on a number of factors, one of which is how good he's looked playing pick up ball. With Martin especially, but Lofton and McNeil gone as well, and the roster make-up... the staff may be more open to adding him. But, if they see little value this year (or beyond) I think they leave things as they are...

If I had to guess, would probably lean toward him not being added.. but for those who loves my percentages... I'm maybe at 60%/40% on that now... which is a lot closer than it was before the in-season defections.

Added? If he passes the English test (by whatever standard that is) he has a scholarship so he's on the team. Maybe you are referring to whether they red shirt him or not. I seriously doubt they red shirt him. If he's really good- then they can use him (even though it would take a while for him to get in sync). If on the other hand - if he's not looking that good, if they view him as a marginal guy, then there's no way you want to red shirt him, because the staff would be confident that they can recruit better in the future. So either way- I just don't see a reason to red shirt him. It may be a little Pollyannaish of me but I have been wondering if Martin knew that Gaston is further along, thus shoving Martin even deeper on the depth charts.

Added? If he passes the English test (by whatever standard that is) he has a scholarship so he's on the team. Maybe you are referring to whether they red shirt him or not. I seriously doubt they red shirt him. If he's really good- then they can use him (even though it would take a while for him to get in sync). If on the other hand - if he's not looking that good, if they view him as a marginal guy, then there's no way you want to red shirt him, because the staff would be confident that they can recruit better in the future. So either way- I just don't see a reason to red shirt him. It may be a little Pollyannaish of me but I have been wondering if Martin knew that Gaston is further along, thus shoving Martin even deeper on the depth charts.

I have been wondering if the fact that he didn't even get a chance to play the 3 when McNeil was suspended along with lack of playing time at the 4 didn't lead him to the conclusion that there just wasn't going to be any opportunity in the near future.

Added? If he passes the English test (by whatever standard that is) he has a scholarship so he's on the team. Maybe you are referring to whether they red shirt him or not.

No. He has no scholarship. The signed NLI between the U and GD is null and void.

PS - Not sure that "passing" the test by "whatever standard" is what is needed here. "Holistic view" has to say 'IN', right? ;)

No. He has no scholarship. The signed NLI between the U and GD is null and void. PS - Not sure that "passing" the test by "whatever standard" is what is needed here. "Holistic view" has to say 'IN', right? ;)

You're the only one pimping the "holistic view" theory. Can you admit it's pure speculation?

No. He has no scholarship. The signed NLI between the U and GD is null and void.

PS - Not sure that "passing" the test by "whatever standard" is what is needed here. "Holistic view" has to say 'IN', right? ;)

Wrong!!!!

The NLI might be null & void, but if GD enrolls, he will have a scholarship. He might be categorized as a walk-on, but he will have one of the 13 scholarships allowed.

Thats' the dumbest thing I have ever heard, football players start mid year on scholership all the time.

Don't ask how I know, but I have first hand knowledge of Gaston's original scores. No self respecting institution would have let him in. It's not his fault English isn't his first language, but let's hope he learned how to read english since he took the last test.

Go back to the Marquette board please. Who on this board other then Dr. Don has the time to post for teams that they aren't a fan of? Why exactly are you here other than the fact that Nadine was the only administrator on any team boards to allow you to post articles?

It would be the ultimate troll work, by the way, if Dr. Don went to the Marquette board to chastise them about stating an opinion or using bad grammer!!

Am I on a TV show and you guys are just joking with this stuff? Pretty funny. Thanks for the chuckles.

He might be categorized as a walk-on, but he will have one of the 13 scholarships allowed.

Thats' the dumbest thing I have ever heard, football players start mid year on scholership all the time.

It would be the ultimate troll work, by the way, if Dr. Don went to the Marquette board to chastise them about stating an opinion or using bad grammer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom