MN Daily: Gaston Diedhiou could be eligible to join Gophers within a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

So he is the eligible to transfer within a week?

He's not transferring from anywhere. This was a recruit that was not admitted to the U because of English test scores. He's been taking English lessons from Dr. Don since October.

Excited to see him play at least. We need a big body at the 4 position.

Do they redshirt him at this point? I'm assuming it would be an automatic yes if Martin was still on the team, but now we may need the depth once we get into the conference.

Do they redshirt him at this point? I'm assuming it would be an automatic yes if Martin was still on the team, but now we may need the depth once we get into the conference.

I don't think there is any way we can RS him now.

As it stands now, the only players taller than 6-5 on the entire roster who will have experience next year are Joey King, Charles Buggs and Bakary Konate. Hopefully Gaston can get acclimated to the speed and offense/defense quickly so we can get him some experience, as limited as it may be.

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully Gaston has been on top of the playbook and working out one on one with an alumni. We may not need him to play major minutes, Martin was only giving us 5mpg the way it stood.

If he is able to contribute right away that would be huge. If he can simply rebound and play defense effectively I'll be very excited.

He definetly looks raw, but he's got pretty good athleticism. That play where he steals the inbounds pass and goes the length of the court for the jam is nice. Saw somewhere that he has a 7’3 wingspan.

"Say it a few times .. Gaston Diedhiou. Pronounced Gas-TONE Dee-EYE-doo. He comes to the Gophers as a fairly under-the-radar recruit and is definitely a project, albeit one with nice upside. Originally from Senegal, Diedhiou is similarly sized to Martin (6’9″, 225-ish), but isn’t quite as polished. "

http://fromthebarn.org/tag/josh-martin/

can't redshirt him right? He'd be collecting SS when he graduates. He's old for a college freshman

He's not transferring from anywhere. This was a recruit that was not admitted to the U because of English test scores. He's been taking English lessons from Dr. Don since October.

Damn right, and he has worked hard. He is flawless as to when to use accept and except, affect and effect. :)

"Say it a few times .. Gaston Diedhiou. Pronounced Gas-TONE Dee-EYE-doo. He comes to the Gophers as a fairly under-the-radar recruit and is definitely a project, albeit one with nice upside. Originally from Senegal, Diedhiou is similarly sized to Martin (6’9″, 225-ish), but isn’t quite as polished. "

http://fromthebarn.org/tag/josh-martin/

can't redshirt him right? He'd be collecting SS when he graduates. He's old for a college freshman

Josh Martin looked closer to 6'7 than 6'9. Looked smaller than I though he would be.

If the Gophers have shown us anything in recent years., it's that we should worry about the roster in 2019 in 2014. Hell no. If he can help even a little bit, play him.

We need Gaston for practice! Need a big body to bang the other guys into shape for the B1G season. Anything he gives for actual games is a bonus.

Those teams he was playing against in the video look like pick-up teams from a rec league!

I remember when he told Ryan James he was almost 6'-10"... Kid was probably 2.5-3" shy of that.

If you're referring to James' tweet, wasn't it just some guy from Seattle that told him he was APPROACHING 6'10"? The tweet just made it sound like a guy who was exaggerating a bit and just making a point that he was tall and growing, not that he is truly 6'10". People took it too seriously.

Damn right, and he has worked hard. He is flawless as to when to use accept and except, affect and effect. :)

I except that. Thanks for the positive affect you had on him.:cool:

If you're referring to James' tweet, wasn't it just some guy from Seattle that told him he was APPROACHING 6'10"? The tweet just made it sound like a guy who was exaggerating a bit and just making a point that he was tall and growing, not that he is truly 6'10". People took it too seriously.

Ryan James tweeted out that word was Josh was approaching 6'10.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Word is Josh Martin continues to grow and is approaching 6-ft-10. With his level of agility and activity, that's the definition of potential</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/428644450517020672">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I guess people assumed Ryan got that 'word' from a credible source, not just some guy.

It won't let me edit the above post... but it seems you are making a lot of assumptions that are not part of the tweet.

If he can help even a little bit, play him.

Absolutely. He should play (if he can) not just for this year but for preparation for next year. Bakary already looks like he has improved a bit since the beginning of the season.

Absolutely. He should play (if he can) not just for this year but for preparation for next year. Bakary already looks like he has improved a bit since the beginning of the season.

Gaston is the recruit I have been most interested in seeing. They have went to some lengths to get him and keep him. He could be boom or bust, but this is a recruit that may give us an idea of the type of PF that Pitino is trying to recruit and also show what kind of ability this staff has to creative dig through the weeds to evaluate and find the guys they need for this system. I hope he can rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom