Josh Martin to seek transfer from U

i watched Josh come out of the game Friday very frustrated. Went straight to bench and sat down. I agree with others that his expectations to come in and dominate as a freshman were set way too high by himself. Now playing time is limited and seems he is throwing in the towel before Xmas of his freshman year. Realize this is purely speculation and other details could emerge. Maybe he realized that he was going to be pushed further down the bench once Gaston was eligible. In any case, hope it works out for all involved.

I was at the game Friday and saw Josh' reaction/body language coming out of the game, straight to the bench without acknowledging anyone and slams his towel down. You could tell it was bigger than just being frustrated at that moment. So I am not surprised by this.

You think a coach who has spent a year recruiting a player--watching his games, checking his work ethic, and determining whether or not he is fit for a scholarship--would then turn around and encourage that player to leave after 8 games?

How can you seriously believe that? It's absurd

Yeah, there is no chance this is the case, especially with our current scholarship situation. Just no way. Can't believe someone would actually think that is a possibility.

I'm blaming this on the Zach Lofton affect. With his cancerous presence on the team, I suspect he has infected Martin as an impressionable freshman that Lofton could get in his corner.

Of course, that's pure and utter TMZ speculation so take it as such.

You think a coach who has spent a year recruiting a player--watching his games, checking his work ethic, and determining whether or not he is fit for a scholarship--would then turn around and encourage that player to leave after 8 games?

How can you seriously believe that? It's absurd

This. Unless there was a behavioral issue, no way Pitino forces a prized recruit off of the team.

Pitino should have let him play through mistakes vs the cup cakes...too short of a leash on the high flyer.

I'm blaming this on the Zach Lofton affect. With his cancerous presence on the team, I suspect he has infected Martin as an impressionable freshman that Lofton could get in his corner. Of course, that's pure and utter TMZ speculation so take it as such.

I blame it on the black out :)

Lets see if all the "talent experts" here who drool over high light reel mix tapes will eat some humble pie!

If folks remember, Martin was quoted as saying Richard was going to coach him hands on as a 3. I believe this was in a Gopherhole Q&A. Clearly he wasn't a 3 and it is not realistic for a freshman to get a lot of time from the Head Coach.

Not surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be a rocking recruiting class coming in (as we now have another two open scholarships).

Reading between the lines, something happened. Or in the case of grades and first semester being over, maybe didn't happen.

He set the program back big time. You eat up a scholarship and fill up a recruiting class, you owe it to the program to at least finish out the year. This kind of stuff is super $hitty of someone. He made a commitment to the team and he didn't even make it 5 months on campus.... That looks bad. Real bad.

I wish I had access to the film of him playing in the games he appeared in this year. Someone needs to make a video of his "highlights" and set it to Carole Kings "Now and Forever" (we had a moment, just one moment.....).

If folks remember, Martin was quoted as saying Richard was going to coach him hands on as a 3. I believe this was in a Gopherhole Q&A. Clearly he wasn't a 3 and it is not realistic for a freshman to get a lot of time from the Head Coach.

Not surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had forgotten about that. Seems to make the most sense out of everything else that's being thrown around.

just so we're not heading toward another iron 5

Not all that unusual. Wouldn't over-think this one.

Nothing at all about Josh. The bigger picture, deserves some overthinking for sure.

Josh was an extremely narcissistic teenager. Not being the man may have been too tough of a pill to swallow. We may never find out however.

Regardless, there's no possible way Gaston coming in 2 weeks from now wouldn't be an instant improvement over Martin.

Very bizarre that he would fold this quickly. There must be something else going on that would explain this move after only eight games.

Pitino should have let him play through mistakes vs the cup cakes...too short of a leash on the high flyer.

+1 Good coaches have a way of keeping young players involved thru the learning periods.

Yikes! Why wouldn't you at least stick around until the end of the semester. Pitino quotes said it was Martin's decision to transfer. This has home sick written all over it.

We're dressing 9 scholarship players right now. Could be rough.

+1 Good coaches have a way of keeping young players involved thru the learning periods.

Agree. Especially given some of the cupcakes we have played. Seems odd he didn't get more playing time. There has to be something else to this story.

I missed this until they mentioned it on the the broadcast. This is surprising. Clearly he has a long way to go, but you're 8 games into your freshman year! This falls squarely on Richard.

Regardless of why Martin transferred this program always seems to be in the one step forward two steps back mode.

Regardless of why Martin transferred this program always seems to be in the one step forward two steps back mode.

This can be said of ALL Minnesota sports.

Top Bottom