Josh Martin to seek transfer from U

Not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe he felt LaVine's shadow growing over him, perhaps got jealous then felt the need to get out of Minneapolis so he could carve out his own identity. Or I could be completely full of $hit.

Yeah, I don't think it was this.

Ouch! This hurts. He was the recruit I was most excited about in the Pitino era (not counting Mathieu, who will only be here two years).

Well, if Josh Martin can't beat out a D-2 player in Joey King, then it's best he transfers.

Remember all his tweets(last spring) about his excitement to play for MN? Something else is going on here.

They normally record the show earlier in the day around noon and replay it now. Just found it curious that it wasn't on though. Maybe game days they don't have the show.

There is not a coach in America who would kick a kid off the team halfway through the year for being crappy. We've literally had 5th year seniors who could ball with me and I'd keep it close. This was either grades, drinking, or the Mary Jane.

This is a new regime.

If Pitino is confident we could use that scholarship on someone else down the road, I don't see why Pitino wouldn't pull the trigger.

Coaching staffs can't really see how a player will be able to handle the student/athlete responsibilities until they get on to campus. Wouldn't be surprised if Pitino so that Martin has some vices that aren't worth putting up with (again, all of this is speculation).

I just don't buy that the kid left because he wants more playing time or to escape Lavine's schedule. That has to be the shallowest reason ever to quit a team..

Either way, Martin was the recruit in this class I was most excited about, so it's a bummer to see this, especially after only 8 games in his freshman year.

+1
Not quite as much since I've watched Nate Mason play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Um, wth? Someone better find some good PR for this one.

This is a new regime.

If Pitino is confident we could use that scholarship on someone else down the road, I don't see why Pitino wouldn't pull the trigger.

Coaching staffs can't really see how a player will be able to handle the student/athlete responsibilities until they get on to campus. Wouldn't be surprised if Pitino so that Martin has some vices that aren't worth putting up with (again, all of this is speculation).

I just don't buy that the kid left because he wants more playing time or to escape Lavine's schedule. That has to be the shallowest reason ever to quit a team..

A coach showing a freshman the door eight games into his career to free up a scholarship when his team has zero depth is also pretty shallow.

Came out of nowhere... Something we don't know about this kid

A coach showing a freshman the door eight games into his career to free up a scholarship when his team has zero depth is also pretty shallow.

Could also be mutually beneficial. Martin can go to a mid-major and play quality minutes without dealing with the external pressures of playing in the Big 10

I hate how Fuller said on Twitter he was "not shocked" by this, but then neglects to explain his opinion

Could also be mutually beneficial. Martin can go to a mid-major and play quality minutes without dealing with the external pressures of playing in the Big 10

Which means he's a wuss and can't handle the competition? I think there is more to the story which we will not know.

The transition to college is tough, especially in a new state and also playing DI basketball...but if he's not mentally tough to hang in there then we are lucky he's bouncing. Peace out.

The transition to college is tough, especially in a new state and also playing DI basketball...but if he's not mentally tough to hang in there then we are lucky he's bouncing. Peace out.
That's what I'm saying

This is a new regime.

You think a coach who has spent a year recruiting a player--watching his games, checking his work ethic, and determining whether or not he is fit for a scholarship--would then turn around and encourage that player to leave after 8 games?

How can you seriously believe that? It's absurd

You think a coach who has spent a year recruiting a player--watching his games, checking his work ethic, and determining whether or not he is fit for a scholarship--would then turn around and encourage that player to leave after 8 games?

How can you seriously believe that? It's absurd

Agreed. Totally absurd. Even for a message board...even for THIS message board.

He came in with exuberance that seemed to wain and turn into a lack of self confidence. A major program won't give him 20 plus minutes of PT when his performance hurts the team. I'm afraid he needs to gain maturity which he could have gotten here,particularly with a red shirt year. Too bad.

agreed. See Buggs. Coach still investing. it's not an on court thing

Buggs shows spark.

Martin looked lost on the court every time. If anyone here has access to ESPN3 you can see a replay of the Western Carolina game. Watch Martin's minutes. I've never seen a player so disheveled.

Maybe Martin just doesn't translate well with the way Pitino plays the 4 in our offense. Again, as some people pointed out, we have been recruiting him for a year so we should have recognized any system fit-problems

Pitino radio show is supposed to be on now (6:30pm) but they are talking Viking football on ESPN 1500. Connection?

Probably. I am guessing Coach K retiring and Pitino is taking over at Duke and taking Martin with him.

i watched Josh come out of the game Friday very frustrated. Went straight to bench and sat down. I agree with others that his expectations to come in and dominate as a freshman were set way too high by himself. Now playing time is limited and seems he is throwing in the towel before Xmas of his freshman year. Realize this is purely speculation and other details could emerge. Maybe he realized that he was going to be pushed further down the bench once Gaston was eligible. In any case, hope it works out for all involved.

Man, this is just crazy. Push the development of this program back a bit. This is a ROUGH start.

Top Bottom