Josh Martin to seek transfer from U

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
From Gopher Athletic Communications:

Martin to Seek Transfer from U

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Monday that freshman forward Josh Martin has decided to transfer from the team, effective immediately.

“While we are disappointed in Josh’s decision to transfer, we wish him nothing but the best in the future,” said Pitino.

Martin had appeared in seven games with the Gophers in a reserve role, recording nine points, seven rebounds and three blocks in 38 minutes of action.

Minnesota (6-2) returns to the court tonight, hosting the University of North Dakota at 8 p.m. at Williams Arena.

Martin transferring?

Amelia just tweeted this. For real? His freshman season just freaking started.

What the actual ****?!? our second transfer in as many months..what is going on

Remember how relieved we were when the 2015 class filled out? Remember when we were all excited about not having to stuff our roster with bargain basement spring recruits to fill gaping holes?

That was a nice couple of months.

Is Pitino running a meth lab in the locker room or something?

Surprising my guess is he thought he deserved more playing time but it was pretty clear watching that he wasn't ready to play at this level yet but I do think he had some potential and could have been a nice player down the road. As long as Diedhiou is admitted he should be back in the next few weeks and might need him for depth now instead of red shirting him.

I didn't want to be too hard on Josh when I made my comments about the Western Carolina game, but he looked absolutely lost out there. It's obviously been a very, very rough transition for him to major college basketball. Hopefully he has success wherever he lands.

down to nine scholarship players on the team? they already took Josh off the roster

Wow it seems weird to transfer this early into a career. He'd have been better off playing the year out then transfering anyways.

Quite a shock. We really didn't need to lose another player right now. Looks like Gaston better be eligible next year and able to contribute. We may not have may bigs on the roster.

Wonder where he will transfer? I'm think low major school like the cupcakes we've been playing.

So now we have one guard (Mason) backing up the 1 and the 2, and we have one forward backing up the 3 and the 4 (Buggs)..

What happened to all this "depth."

Anyone concerned this might hurt recruiting? Having a player kicked off the team, a player suspended, and a player voluntarily leaving.

Imagine Martin coming out saying Minneapolis sucks and he can't live in the cold

I hate to see transfers like this. Kid didn't even give it a chance at his first school, didn't stick through even half a season. Waste of a year of eligibility for almost no playing time. I feel like transfers of freshmen who played sparingly but were expected to become contributors are all about immaturity. These are the types of decisions that players regret later after they are forced to go to a lesser program because they don't realize how good they have it as part of a Big Ten program - his value is not going to be what it used to be on the open market because he hasn't done anything to prove he can be a player at the college level.

Pure speculation, but it probably isn't easy watching your high school buddy get legit NBA minutes every night as a one-and-done and not getting any yourself. I'm sure he wants to go somewhere he can start and/or play big minutes.

Sad because I thought he had big time potential. I was watching his high-school numbers last year in awe.

My mommy told me to transfer because her baby wasn't the star.

Or maybe he thinks he is better than he is?

I have NO respect for a pup who pulls this crap. Bad luck wherever you go, Josh.

The reason for his departure may not have anything to do with basketball or school. Sometimes kids get homesick, or have other personal reasons for leaving. So....this leaves us at the moment with 5 active scholarship players that are not seniors. Yikes.

Must be a rocking recruiting class coming in (as we now have another two open scholarships).

Reading between the lines, something happened. Or in the case of grades and first semester being over, maybe didn't happen.

My mommy told me to transfer because her baby wasn't the star.

Or maybe he thinks he is better than he is?

I have NO respect for a pup who pulls this crap. Bad luck wherever you go, Josh.

Pretty harsh coming from you DD. We don't know his reasons and they may be legit (although I doubt it).

He looked absolutely lost against Western Carolina. I'm thinking Pitino has seen enough and decided he doesn't have what it takes to play at the Big 10..

Wouldn't be surprised if Pitino encouraged this. Sure, having an able body for the remainder of the season would have been great, but if you watched Martin he is literally a liability everythime on the offensive in. He even got in the way of Hollins and caused a turnover

Lots of things going on that first year in college. Can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been if I had to do all the regular stuff, figure out who I was and play/practice BB 50 hours per week.

Good luck to Josh...that said, you are now dead to me.

Pitino radio show is supposed to be on now (6:30pm) but they are talking Viking football on ESPN 1500. Connection?

This is why recruiting never stops. Talent still available and now we have a system kids like and playing time to sell. Interested to see how this plays out.

He looked absolutely lost against Western Carolina. I'm thinking Pitino has seen enough and decided he doesn't have what it takes to play at the Big 10..

Wouldn't be surprised if Pitino encouraged this. Sure, having an able body for the remainder of the season would have been great, but if you watched Martin he is literally a liability everythime on the offensive in. He even got in the way of Hollins and caused a turnover

There is not a coach in America who would kick a kid off the team halfway through the year for being crappy. We've literally had 5th year seniors who could ball with me and I'd keep it close. This was either grades, drinking, or the Mary Jane.

Pure speculation, but it probably isn't easy watching your high school buddy get legit NBA minutes every night as a one-and-done and not getting any yourself. I'm sure he wants to go somewhere he can start and/or play big minutes.

Sad because I thought he had big time potential. I was watching his high-school numbers last year in awe.

Not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe he felt LaVine's shadow growing over him, perhaps got jealous then felt the need to get out of Minneapolis so he could carve out his own identity. Or I could be completely full of $hit. Either way, Martin was the recruit in this class I was most excited about, so it's a bummer to see this, especially after only 8 games in his freshman year.

Top Bottom