Media Predictions: Citrus Bowl

ESPN's FPI giving us a 40.4 percent chance. Also I don't remember where but someone gave us a 46.2 percent chance. I like both of those odds, better than I expected.

ESPN's FPI giving us a 40.4 percent chance. Also I don't remember where but someone gave us a 46.2 percent chance. I like both of those odds, better than I expected.

I'm surprised a lot people in the media aren't giving us a chance. Missouri scores 17.7 ppg in conference. That shouldn't instill confidence.

I'm surprised a lot people in the media aren't giving us a chance. Missouri scores 17.7 ppg in conference. That shouldn't instill confidence.

Did not know that. That even less than what we averaged in conference last year ( a little over 18) and this year we are averaging over 31 points in conference play. (Including defense and special teams scores, not just offense)

Nice of them to only show Missouri highlights.
At least the first batch of highlights were all of Mauk getting intercepted. I do wonder why the Mizzou pass rush is such a big deal against an obvious running team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2305501-bold-predictions-for-big-ten-footballs-bowl-season/page/7

Minnesota and Missouri are basically the same team: crummy offense, great defense and know how to stick around for 60 minutes.

If you played this game 100 times, I reckon each team would win 50. Maybe Missouri would win 51 or 52. The Tigers rank four spots better on the F/+ ratings (No. 31 to No. 35), according to Football Outsiders, but the difference is minimal. In most trials, the winner would be the team that has the ball last.

So why is Missouri a six-point favorite? Mostly because it plays in the "S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C." But the Tigers already lost to one Big Ten team this season, and that team, Indiana, went 1-7 in conference play.

Minnesota went 5-3.
I think their loss to Indiana is getting a little overplayed. Early season, figuring stuff out. Is it really that much worse than the Gophs' mid-season, should-be-in-high-gear loss to Illinois?

CBS is split: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/17

JLLtLZF.png

Is it really that much worse than the Gophs' mid-season, should-be-in-high-gear loss to Illinois?

Yes. It was the 4th game of the season, at home, against the worst team in the Big Ten. Our loss to Illinois (a bowl team) was on the road. Indiana would currently be about a 6-point underdog at Illinois.

Yes. It was the 4th game of the season, at home, against the worst team in the Big Ten. Our loss to Illinois (a bowl team) was on the road. Indiana would currently be about a 6-point underdog at Illinois.

In the IU game we didn't have Golden for the whole game and Ray for a half,on offense we lost our Starting Sr LG and our 2nd best WR. Also most of the IU yardage came because our OLB wouldn't keep contain,he continually lost leverage. Hopefully this has been corrected. He is talented but over agressive. This has lead to some nice runs by Rbs when they bounce.

I'd take a tennis racket to his lips.

After beating Jimmy Connors at the January 1980 Masters, Gerulaitis had lost their previous 16 matches:

"And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row."

After beating Jimmy Connors at the January 1980 Masters, Gerulaitis had lost their previous 16 matches:

"And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row."

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

Minnesota Football Game Predictions: Missouri Tigers by Matt Humbert

Mathematical projections for the Gophers' first New Year's Day bowl in over 50 years. It's a celebration!
Happy New Year everyone! I'm here to get your NYD hangover started off proper with a heavy dose of Models to go along with your Bottles. The math induced headaches will throb with less intensity than the alcohol-related ones, I promise!

To see Matt’s models click on the link below.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/12/31/7472243/minnesota-football-game-predictions-missouri-tigers

Missouri is the Wisconsin of the SEC East

Both squads spent 90 yrs flopping around in the bottom of the Big10/Big12 and then starting about 20 yrs ago found a rung on the ladder and climbed up.

per Joe:

Both coaching staffs are strong, especially when given extra time to prepare. This will be the final game for Missouri’s 14-year defensive coordinator Dave Steckel, who is taking over as the head coach at Missouri State. The Tigers love Steckel, so they’ll be eager to send him off with a win. But Minnesota’s senior class is on a mission not to fall to 0-3 in bowl games. It should be low-scoring, with two good defenses and two somewhat shaky offenses. Minnesota has a plus-11 turnover margin, and Missouri’s is plus-eight, so both teams are used to winning that category. Mauk has thrown just two interceptions in the past six games, but this one will swing with a big pick from Briean Boddy-Calhoun. Cobb will seal the upset with 150 rushing yards, and Jerry Kill will dance another locker room jig. Gophers 24, Missouri 23

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/287261301.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Win the turnover battle and the kicking game and the Gophers win. If not, congrats Mizzou.

Sports Illustrated:

• Final analysis: Neither team has a signature win, so it’s hard to know exactly how good either is. Minnesota’s best victory came against Nebraska. But the Golden Gophers fell to Ohio State (31-24) and Wisconsin in bigger opportunities to break through. Despite winning the SEC East, Missouri’s two wins over then-ranked teams seem less stellar now -- South Carolina finished 6-6 and Texas A&M finished 7-5. The Tigers avoided the five best teams in the SEC West and suffered a mystifying loss to Indiana in nonconference play. Minnesota -- No. 25 in the College Football Playoff rankings -- would be Missouri’s best win of the year.

The Gophers can end a dubious streak: They haven’t won a bowl game in a decade, losing six straight since a 20-16 victory over Alabama in 2004. Minnesota had a favorable matchup with a 6-6 Syracuse squad in last year’s Texas Bowl but blew a late lead to fall, 21-17. Missouri is much better than that Syracuse team.

• The pick: Missouri 34, Minnesota 27

http://www.si.com/college-football/...view-missouri-tigers-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Both coaching staffs are strong, especially when given extra time to prepare. This will be the final game for Missouri’s 14-year defensive coordinator Dave Steckel, who is taking over as the head coach at Missouri State. The Tigers love Steckel, so they’ll be eager to send him off with a win. But Minnesota’s senior class is on a mission not to fall to 0-3 in bowl games. It should be low-scoring, with two good defenses and two somewhat shaky offenses. Minnesota has a plus-11 turnover margin, and Missouri’s is plus-eight, so both teams are used to winning that category. Mauk has thrown just two interceptions in the past six games, but this one will swing with a big pick from Briean Boddy-Calhoun. Cobb will seal the upset with 150 rushing yards, and Jerry Kill will dance another locker room jig. Gophers 24, Missouri 23

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/287261301.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

If Dave Steckel is any relation to Les Steckel, I like the Gophers' chances!

Has Desmond Howard picked the Gophs in any game this year? Jerk.

Lee Corso just picked Minnesota. The other two guys from Michigan and Ohio State picked Missouri.

Top Bottom