Media Predictions: Citrus Bowl

Well, from what I understand, your QB has wheels. Mobile QBs have always had the most success against us, because they're able to escape the pressure.

I really think this is going to be a good game.

And you're very welcome for the info! Love talking ball!

Isn't that the truth? You never know with these bowl games.... Are the kids going to be motivated? I mean, that's a long layoff...

I wouldnt say he has wheels but he is a capable runner within Kill's scheme. Big kid that is a tough runner and can beat the D if they cheat on the zone read.

Yeah, Leidner is not going to outrun anybody, but he isn't afraid of contact and he's pretty reliable when it comes to making the correct call on zone reads.

Pretty much every pass attempt we have will be off play action, and your description of Mauk ("throws a pretty deep ball, and he's very good at it. But everything else -- short and intermediate -- he's so-so") fits Leidner as well.

Mizzou STRUGGLES against option offenses... big time. See the SEC Championship game last year against Auburn. See our Bowl game against Navy in, I think, 09...

Mizzou lives and dies by being aggressive on defense and letting it's exceptional athletes run in space. But when you make them play disciplined football, where they're forced to play a gap, they really do NOT do well... I suspect, you guys will run a lot of option... Your coaches will see it's potential on film.

He is eligible for the entire game, as he sat out the second half of the SEC Championship game.

ah ok. had thought it occurred in the 2nd half so he would miss the first half of the bowl game but now I see it was in the 2nd Qtr. My mistake. Thanks for the clarification

Mizzou STRUGGLES against option offenses... big time. See the SEC Championship game last year against Auburn. See our Bowl game against Navy in, I think, 09...

Mizzou lives and dies by being aggressive on defense and letting it's exceptional athletes run in space. But when you make them play disciplined football, where they're forced to play a gap, they really do NOT do well... I suspect, you guys will run a lot of option... Your coaches will see it's potential on film.

How is your defense when a team runs up the middle on every single first down? Just kidding... well slightly kidding.

What is your offensive line like? have they been good at protecting your QB? We have struggled on D most when we cannot get the QB. In the wisconsin game we made a very mediocre QB look great by giving him 7-8 seconds to throw the ball multiple times..

How is your defense when a team runs up the middle on every single first down? Just kidding... well slightly kidding.

What is your offensive line like? have they been good at protecting your QB? We have struggled on D most when we cannot get the QB. In the wisconsin game we made a very mediocre QB look great by giving him 7-8 seconds to throw the ball multiple times..

This is definitely not our best offensive line. They played well coming down the stretch of the season when we rattled off seven wins in a row, but Bama really exposed them. They've maybe a tinge above average. Our right tackle is awwwwful.

This is definitely not our best offensive line. They played well coming down the stretch of the season when we rattled off seven wins in a row, but Bama really exposed them. They've maybe a tinge above average. Our right tackle is awwwwful.
How about against short passes to the flat with no blockers on 3rd and 15?

2 times. We did it twice this year purdue and nebraska.

Mizzoubob I'm really liking your info, keep it coming! I agree with you our best chance is to keep the game close and tire your defense out so we can move the ball well in our normal offense at the end of the game. This is how we beat Nebraska this year putting up 21 points in the 2nd half while coming from behind to win. My biggest concern is with playing you guys is that your defensive line can really get after the QB and our QB is notoriously bad when getting pressured (see our wisconsin game). If he is given the time and a clean pocket to step into the can actually hit some big throws but rush him and he is horribly inaccurate and turns the ball over. The battle between our O line and your D-line will be what decides this game (from our success point anyway).

Keep the info coming dude.

+1 on the bold! Keep it coming MizzouBob! :clap:

Mark Schlabach of ESPN:

Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl
No. 16 Missouri vs. No. 25 Minnesota, Jan. 1 (ABC, 1 p.m. ET)

Why to watch: Check out two of the country's most underrated coaches: Missouri's Gary Pinkel and Minnesota's Jerry Kill. Pinkel has guided the Tigers to SEC East titles in each of the past two seasons; Kill has led Minnesota -- Minnesota! -- to 16 victories during the past two seasons.

Who to watch: Minnesota's David Cobb ran for 1,548 yards, which ranked ninth among FBS players. He had a season-high 220 yards against Middle Tennessee State and 207 against San Jose State.

Motivation for Missouri: It's time to quit doubting the Tigers, who have won the SEC East in two of their first three seasons in the league. Missouri had to replace a boatload of talent this season but didn't miss a beat. A bowl win would give the Tigers 23 victories over the past two seasons.

Motivation for Minnesota: The Gophers have been surprisingly good under Kill, but he hasn't yet led them to a bowl victory. In fact, Minnesota hasn't won in the postseason since beating Alabama 20-16 in the 2004 Music City Bowl, dropping its past six postseason games.

Prediction: Missouri 24, Minnesota 20

http://espn.go.com/college-football...362/predicting-winners-all-39-bowl-games#jan1

per Pat Forde of Yahoo:

Citrus Bowl (30). Minnesota vs. Missouri, Jan. 1, 12:30 p.m. ET

If this matchup were a holiday gift, it would be: A Turbo Man action figure, as portrayed by Mizzou defensive end Shane Ray.

Motivation edge: Minnesota. Gophers playing in their highest-profile bowl since the 1962 Rose. Tigers regrouping after defensive coordinator Dave Steckel was named head coach at Missouri State – he’ll coach the bowl, but how focused will he be while trying to build a staff and start recruiting for his next job?

Fan fun meter: There’s a reason so many bowl games are in Florida. Everyone wants an excuse to go there during the dead of winter. These fan bases should be no exception and show up in large numbers.

Dash pick: Missouri 23, Minnesota 14. To the astonishment of the selection committee, the Gophers aren’t that good and will need turnovers to win. The good news for them: they’re among the national leaders in forced fumbles with 15. The bad news for them: the Tigers are tied for the fewest fumbles lost in America with three.

Conference scoreboard: SEC 7-2, Big Ten 0-8.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-yard-dash--bowl-edition-051138317-ncaaf.html

Go Gophers!!

per Pat Forde of Yahoo:

If this matchup were a holiday gift, it would be: A Turbo Man action figure, as portrayed by Mizzou defensive end Shane Ray.

Motivation edge: Minnesota. Gophers playing in their highest-profile bowl since the 1962 Rose. Tigers regrouping after defensive coordinator Dave Steckel was named head coach at Missouri State – he’ll coach the bowl, but how focused will he be while trying to build a staff and start recruiting for his next job?

Fan fun meter: There’s a reason so many bowl games are in Florida. Everyone wants an excuse to go there during the dead of winter. These fan bases should be no exception and show up in large numbers.

Dash pick: Missouri 23, Minnesota 14. To the astonishment of the selection committee, the Gophers aren’t that good and will need turnovers to win. The good news for them: they’re among the national leaders in forced fumbles with 15. The bad news for them: the Tigers are tied for the fewest fumbles lost in America with three.

Go Gophers!!

He certainly does not have high hopes for the Big Ten. He has the conference going 0-10 which seems highly unlikely to happen even if we are underdogs in all 10 games.

per Pat Forde of Yahoo:

Go Gophers!!
I watched several episodes of Big Ten Football and Beyond this season and Forde has a definite prejudice against the B1G. Until now I didn't realize how deep-seated it is. Would be fun to see what he had to say if the B1G went 10-0.

I watched several episodes of Big Ten Football and Beyond this season and Forde has a definite prejudice against the B1G. Until now I didn't realize how deep-seated it is. Would be fun to see what he had to say if the B1G went 10-0.

He still wouldn't shut up.

Forde is a Mizzou grad, I didn't expect him to pick the gophers but I was disappointed to see 0-10 for the B1G. I like reading the Forde Yard Dash and Forde Minutes during college basketball. Here's hoping he eats most of his words.
per Pat Forde of Yahoo:

Go Gophers!!

4 of 4 "experts" pick Mizzou over the Minnesota Badgers.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...ry-2014-15-college-football-bowl-game/page/31

Matchup: Missouri (10-3) vs. Minnesota (8-4)

Date: Jan. 1 at 1 p.m. ET

Spread: Missouri (-5.5)

Picks

Kercheval: Missouri

Kramer: Missouri

Sallee: Missouri

Felder: Missouri

Why You Should Watch

Minnesota running back David Cobb will have his work cut out for him running against a very underrated Missouri front seven. Missouri will want to get the Badgers in passing downs so that defensive ends Shane Ray and Markus Golden can pin their ears back and get after quarterback Mitch Leidner.

"If Minnesota can win first down consistently, it's going to be a long day for head coach Gary Pinkel's crew," said Sallee. "It won't, though, and Ray and Golden will shine in sunny central Florida."

I don't think Missouri will be able to get the Badgers in passing downs. At least not in this game.

The ESPN B1G bloggers have made their picks:

Rittenberg, Murphy, & Ward pick the Gophers
Bennett, Sherman, & Moyer pick Mizzou

ESPN Big Ten Bowl Predictions

Bennett picked against the Gophers? No way. In other news the sun rose again this morning.

I usually like Forde and what he has to say, but his hatred for the B1G is obvious. He must be bitter the B1G passed over Missouri when selecting new teams to join the conference.

per Fox Sports South:

FINAL ANALYSIS

This projects to be one of the lower-scoring games of the bowl season, a expectation that serves as both a compliment to these two defenses and an indictment of lackluster offenses that aim more to control clock than alter scoreboards. It's a style that suits both coaches, Jerry Kill (Minnesota) and Gary Pinkel (Missouri), and has led to 18 combined wins in 2014.

While the Golden Gophers have a knack for keeping games close -- three losses to Illinois, Ohio State and Wisconsin came by an average margin of a touchdown -- this Missouri roster features more overall talent and big-game experience. Gary Pinkel has won four of his past six bowl games, including last season's Cotton Bowl, and his defense should deliver yet another victory here.

FINAL PICK: Missouri 20, Minnesota 16

http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/citrus-bowl-breakdown-no-16-missouri-vs-minnesota-121914

Go Gophers!!

Its not suprising that most of the "experts" pick Missouri. They are about a touchdown favorite in vegas...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2305501-bold-predictions-for-big-ten-footballs-bowl-season/page/7

Minnesota and Missouri are basically the same team: crummy offense, great defense and know how to stick around for 60 minutes.

If you played this game 100 times, I reckon each team would win 50. Maybe Missouri would win 51 or 52. The Tigers rank four spots better on the F/+ ratings (No. 31 to No. 35), according to Football Outsiders, but the difference is minimal. In most trials, the winner would be the team that has the ball last.

So why is Missouri a six-point favorite? Mostly because it plays in the "S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C." But the Tigers already lost to one Big Ten team this season, and that team, Indiana, went 1-7 in conference play.

Minnesota went 5-3.

Top Bottom