Votes: 68 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters

USTHoops

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what the consensus on the board. Seems like we have a few members strongly against.

Yup. It's only for one game. Not a big deal. However.....if done correctly......recruits will take notice and it will only help the program. If not.....it doesn't exactly hurt us.

It really doesn't do anything for me. Seems like a gimmicky substitute for genuine enthusiasm.

Since when did we become Missouri...

We might as well have a "rainbow" out and just be all inclusive of every color. Who was the brilliant strategist who said, "Black is the color that will fire up this fan-base!!!"?

I suppose it does fire up the fan-base...but all for the wrong reasons...

Since when did we become Missouri...

We might as well have a "rainbow" out and just be all inclusive of every color. Who was the brilliant strategist who said, "Black is the color that will fire up this fan-base!!!"?

I suppose it does fire up the fan-base...but all for the wrong reasons...

Do the people that create these marketing ideas even go to the games, do they have any idea about their fan base, almost an insult to one's intelligence, I guess the school colors are now maroon, gold, and black, the it color will probably be something else next year, so much for an identity, hard for us old guys to change I guess.

Since when did we become Missouri... We might as well have a "rainbow" out and just be all inclusive of every color. Who was the brilliant strategist who said, "Black is the color that will fire up this fan-base!!!"? I suppose it does fire up the fan-base...but all for the wrong reasons...

Or maybe a few folks on Gopherhole don't represent the majority of the fan base?

Or maybe a few folks on Gopherhole don't represent the majority of the fan base?

Do you think the majority of the fanbase views the Gophers in black uniforms? Shall we ask the Pioneer Press to do a statewide poll and ask Minnesotan's what the colors are for the University of Minnesota? What do you think the percentage would be who say...black?

As I mentioned in another thread, we could make the color black have some significance such as Melanoma Awareness Night. Or...if that ribbon isn't the one you want, we could see if Ricky Rubio could show up and we could make it "Anti-Terrorism in Spain" awareness night!

Do you want the fanbase fired up with positive energy or negative energy? A blackout, with no purpose for it, is going to be positive in what way? Explain.

Read Fuller's article on how the women feel about the black uniforms. You'll see that the players are excited about them. Normally a fan base would feed off of a team's excitement. But for some reason Minnesota can't seem to get behind it.

Looks like LandoLakes just threw a ton of money towards an unappreciative fan base who can't get it up anymore (the excitement level that is). I wouldn't expect any more big donations to come soon if our fans refuse to participate in a event that's supposed to encourage team spirit. *Queue the complaints that it should have been done with school colors then.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want the fanbase fired up with positive energy or negative energy? A blackout, with no purpose for it, is going to be positive in what way? Explain.

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. It is common these days to roll out new and exciting uniforms to keep fanbases engaged. Oregon arguably is the best at this. The U of M is trying this with the black uniforms (which I think look awesome). To add to the excitement of the first home game wearing the black unis, the U is calling for the blackout. It is a way add excitement (positive energy) to the game.

The only negative energy is from you. Whether we are wearing black, white (which is not one of the colors mostly associated with the U of M, similar to your point about the black unis), Gold, or Maroon, we will always be the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Quit complaining and try to enjoy it.

You want me to explain your nonsense?

It's a freak'n black shirt. Nuff said.

Read Fuller's article on how the women feel about the black uniforms. You'll see that the players are excited about them. Normally a fan base would feed off of a team's excitement. But for some reason Minnesota can't seem to get behind it.

Looks like LandoLakes just threw a ton of money towards an unappreciative fan base who can't get it up anymore (the excitement level that is). I wouldn't expect any more big donations to come soon if our fans refuse to participate in a event that's supposed to encourage team spirit. *Queue the complaints that it should have been done with school colors then.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you always this melodramatic?

If it was Land-O-Lakes idea, I'm surprised they didn't have a butter sculpting contest that night instead.

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. It is common these days to roll out new and exciting uniforms to keep fanbases engaged. Oregon arguably is the best at this. The U of M is trying this with the black uniforms (which I think look awesome). To add to the excitement of the first home game wearing the black unis, the U is calling for the blackout. It is a way add excitement (positive energy) to the game.

The only negative energy is from you. Whether we are wearing black, white (which is not one of the colors mostly associated with the U of M, similar to your point about the black unis), Gold, or Maroon, we will always be the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Quit complaining and try to enjoy it.

The excitement is palpable! All black! Perhaps we can have "Goth Awareness Night!"

With all the blackness around, I say we make it "Randy Breuer Appreciation Night" as well and then we can put up a black uniform in the rafters for him! :cool:

The most fun about this thread is tinyarch making an ass of himself.

I think it's going to be fun especially going up against OSU. That game is going to be intense.

I'm sure all the buckeyes will be appreciative of the blackout.

All the kids will like it because it makes the gophers more "NBA like" isn't that what attracts all of the kids these days??

Isn't that why we put a terrible wedding Dj in the student section?

The game will still be played; Kendall shell all game.

Love it as a one game thing. Wouldn't want us to wear black on a regular basis, but it is a cool change of pace and the kids will love it.

I get the appeal of the black uniforms to the players and recruits and can live with it. As for the blackout as a concept, there is a fatal flaw. The tshirts aren't free. The way to make this work is to strike a deal with the sponsor to pay for the shirts which can then be set on the seats or handed out as people enter Williams Arena. By putting the black tshirts on sale and having a PR campaign for the event that thus far seems rather lacking in my opinion, this blackout is pretty much doomed to fail. Attempts at goldouts at football games a few years ago did not succeed by any defnition for substantially the same reason. My guess is that maybe 40% of the fans will be in black which isn't enough to attain the desired effect. It could work, but if it doesn't happen the right way, it's not worth attempting.

This is a touchy subject for tiny.

He hears "blackout" and is reminded of how he likes to get blackout drunk on sacramental wine and buggered by his priest.

He is uncomfortable with the person he has become.

Blackout not working for Iowa. Hawkeyes getting smoked by Cyclones by 25 in Carver-Hawkeye. Cyclones look like a machine.

These things always go over big time. The more the merrier.

I like the idea if they put a black shirt on everyone's seat. That greatly increases the chances the blackout will succeed. Otherwise, it's not going to work. We Minnesotans are pretty stubborn. I'll wear black, but I suspect there will still be plenty of maroon and gold.

Top Bottom