Do you like the "blackout" idea?

• Yes

Votes: 68 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
I like the idea if they put a black shirt on everyone's seat. That greatly increases the chances the blackout will succeed. Otherwise, it's not going to work. We Minnesotans are pretty stubborn. I'll wear black, but I suspect there will still be plenty of maroon and gold.

Maroon, Gold, and Black. Awesome.

I like the idea if they put a black shirt on everyone's seat. That greatly increases the chances the blackout will succeed. Otherwise, it's not going to work. We Minnesotans are pretty stubborn. I'll wear black, but I suspect there will still be plenty of maroon and gold.

I agree it won't work as well unless it's a t-shirt promo. Otherwise the U needs to do a REALLY thorough job bringing awareness to the fans that the game is a black out. What they have done so far hasn't been enough IMO.

If wearing black makes our players feel better -- than they play better. So go for it.......

Green Grover is such a funny guy...I'm surprised he doesn't want a green-out.

I agree it won't work as well unless it's a t-shirt promo. Otherwise the U needs to do a REALLY thorough job bringing awareness to the fans that the game is a black out. What they have done so far hasn't been enough IMO.

I agree with what seems to be the consensus: for it really to work the U needs to give out free T-shirts.

IMO, here's what they should do if that is not an option: email everyone who has a ticket on Saturday or Sunday this weekend, maybe a few people will buy the $10 black shirt as a Christmas present. Then follow up with another reminder email on Monday 1/5, the day before the game. Finally, sell the black T-shirts the day of the game in the concourse for $5-10 each and make sure it is clear where the T-shirts are being sold.

Also, for those saying the blackout won't work, it already has worked to a certain degree as the game is essentially sold out. Marketing 1001.

I agree with what seems to be the consensus: for it really to work the U needs to give out free T-shirts.

IMO, here's what they should do if that is not an option: email everyone who has a ticket on Saturday or Sunday this weekend, maybe a few people will buy the $10 black shirt as a Christmas present. Then follow up with another reminder email on Monday 1/5, the day before the game. Finally, sell the black T-shirts the day of the game in the concourse for $5-10 each and make sure it is clear where the T-shirts are being sold.

Also, for those saying the blackout won't work, it already has worked to a certain degree as the game is essentially sold out. Marketing 1001.

Let me add that the proceeds for the t-shirts should be designated to a specific cause/purpose. (i.e. cancer awareness or on a less altruistic theme...facilities fund.) In order for the entire stadium to get behind a "black out" when those are not colors worn by the school, then having a designated purpose will need to be the catalyst for the event.

They should Gold outery single game!

They announced at the game last night that all students and season ticket holders would get a free t-shirt. No details as to when.....

They announced at the game last night that all students and season ticket holders would get a free t-shirt. No details as to when.....
Nice. Well, now what are the promo naysayers going to complain about? ;-)

Hopefully they hand them out or put them on the chairs that night. I wouldn't even trust many of our ticket holders to remember to wear it that night if they had received it in advance.

OK, still mostly ambivalent about the blackout idea, BUT was just at the mall and saw the official t-shirt at Gold Country and could not resist. It's a cool looking shirt and only $10.

At yesterday's game they announce that all student season ticket holders would get a shirt - they said nothing about the rest of the season ticket holders.

That would be a change from what the PA guy said at the Furman game. He clearly said all season-ticket holders would get a free blackout shirt. Now I'm curious if there will be shirts waiting for me on my chairs when we arrive for OSU game.

That would be a change from what the PA guy said at the Furman game. He clearly said all season-ticket holders would get a free blackout shirt. Now I'm curious if there will be shirts waiting for me on my chairs when we arrive for OSU game.

I am not counting on it. I am going to wear a black t-shirt of some sort - probably Pearl Jam.

Yet I receive emails from the U telling me to order my shirt now so I'll have it in time for the game.
I am pretty sure they are not intending to give them to season ticket holders. We bought ours yesterday at the UNCW game. As Bad Gopher said, its a decent looking shirt for $10. If we get free ones, we'll give them to our sons.

I have come around on the black out idea, by process of elimination. The Gold thing has been done & hasn't worked well - lots of women complain that they look terrible in the color. Maroon would blend in with the seats and create no effect whatsoever.
Seeing the team yesterday in their white uni's that we mostly hate, it was clear that, well, I think a white-out would seem to be a mistake.
Not to mention the weather comments it would provoke.

I think they should move the black out to the Iowa game to make Iowa feel even more appreciative that MN is wearing their school colors for a MN home game.

I never once have heard or read that season ticket holders were getting a t-shirt, just the student season ticket holders.

OK, still mostly ambivalent about the blackout idea, BUT was just at the mall and saw the official t-shirt at Gold Country and could not resist. It's a cool looking shirt and only $10.

Only $10? Did you get me one?

I was at the UNC-Wilmington game on Saturday and don't recall the Ohio State blackout scheme being mentioned even once although I admit to arriving a couple of minutes past tipoff. If true, this is troublesome. I'm not against the concept of a blackout at all, the trouble is the apparent half assed nature of promoting and executing it.

I never once have heard or read that season ticket holders were getting a t-shirt, just the student season ticket holders.

I heard it (ALL season-ticket holders) at the Furman game. Didn't hear anything announced at the UNCW game. If nothing else, poor execution on lack of clarity for the blackout. I'll assume there'll be shirts on my two seats, but to be safe I'll wear a black golf pullover underneath my winter coat.

With all this poor execution, this team will be lucky to get an NIT bid

The first couple of times weren't too bad. After the third of fourth time I decided Dr.Don had a drinking problem.:drink:

It depends

It's not a good idea for over night Gopher pre-game accomodations. Might not be such a bad idea when Wisconsin
or Iowa come to the Twin Cities. :clap:

With this game tonight, please wear black if you are going!! Even if you think the blackout is the dumbest, most appalling thing you've ever heard in your whole life and even if it's not the school sponsored shirt, everyone owns black!. The team and the players need everyone's full support tonight to get a huge win over OSU. So for one night, let's participate. And get this win! Off my soap box, go gophers!

Not a fan of it, but I packed my black for tonight to change into after work. Let's hope others remember as well. I wish they would have put it on the tickets as well to remind folks. Seems like a no-brainer to do that.

Go team in black tonight!!

If the Gophers are as fired up about beating OSU as the marketing department is about promoting a color that is not a school color, we're in great shape tonight!

If the Gophers are as fired up about beating OSU as the marketing department is about promoting a color that is not a school color, we're in great shape tonight!

Good one, "NOT our school colors"! That being said, go for it, wear black. Will it help our senior guards show up? It would be worth it in that case.

Top Bottom