All Things Citrus Bowl/Orlando Travel Tips, Plans, Hotels, Tickets, Actities and More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is your thread to share travel packages, ticket ideas, hotel recommendations, itineraries, and more!!

Orlando and J1 football here we come!!!!!

If anyone sees a package from Creative Charters or the Alumni Association I will be eager to see it. Thanks.

Anyone know if the U packages have to include everything? We just want flights and game tix. My family lives in Orlando. Checked airline websites and they are charging a ton.

It is essential that a large number of Minnesota fans travel to this game.
There must be reasonably priced Air options to Orlando. If needed, the University needs to step in and facilitate this.

Travel tip for those people booking their own travel ... If you are looking to save money on airfare and don't mind driving part of the way there, the flights to Atlanta are about $200 per person cheaper than the flights to Orlando. It's about a 6 hour drive. Southwest Airlines seems to have the best flight options / rates right now. I just booked our flights for about $350 per person round trip (and bags fly free on Southwest).

It is essential that a large number of Minnesota fans travel to this game.
There must be reasonably priced Air options to Orlando. If needed, the University needs to step in and facilitate this.

Hopefully they do because I don't see any reasonable.

I don't see any reasonable flights. We'll be driving if the charter options aren't any good.

Both Creative Charter and the U are putting packages for the game. I understand that Creative Charter is even planning on having a separate flight from Rochester.

I'm guessing that we will have more in attendance for this bowl than any in recent history.

Also the band should be there in full force.

Travel tip for those people booking their own travel ... If you are looking to save money on airfare and don't mind driving part of the way there, the flights to Atlanta are about $200 per person cheaper than the flights to Orlando. It's about a 6 hour drive. Southwest Airlines seems to have the best flight options / rates right now. I just booked our flights for about $350 per person round trip (and bags fly free on Southwest).

12 hrs of driving + flight to/from Atlanta is def not reasonable

Need Sun Country to step up and help with airfare...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both Creative Charter and the U are putting packages for the game. I understand that Creative Charter is even planning on having a separate flight from Rochester.

I'm guessing that we will have more in attendance for this bowl than any in recent history.

Also the band should be there in full force.

Correct. Received an email from Gophersports.com the other day that said an email/communication will be coming out as soon as possible with all the details on official U of M packages for our bowl game. If you can pull it off financially or for whatever reason, definitely buy your packages & game tickets through the official U of M sponsored avenues/outlets. Can not overstate how important that is and how it reflects well on the universities with all of the various bowls and future selections down the road if a school can sell as many "guaranteed" official ticket & travel package as possible.

Also, if you can't make the game, there will be an option for U of M fans/supporters to purchase tickets to the bowl game that will be donated to and used by local Orlando/Florida youth charities and allow a deserving youngster to attend the bowl game in your place. These purchases also reflect well on the U of M's ability to sell tickets.

Of course the best is if local and national Gopher fans can make it to down to the bowl, but the donation option/opportunity is always a great idea and is a tax write off too, if I am not mistaken.

I booked Delta down and Sun Country back, thankfully I had enough miles as tickets are around $700 each for 12/30 - 1/4
I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be able to fly Allegiant out of Sioux Falls for around $500 per person. For anyone in SW MN, SE SD, or NW IA.

Sounds like my group is going to find our own way and then Stub Hub some tickets. We're all getting gouged pretty good in the next three years, and though I love Gopher Football I certainly don't feel I owe them anything and should pay an outrageous sum for a bowl trip. It's going to be expensive enough as it is.

Sounds like my group is going to find our own way and then Stub Hub some tickets. We're all getting gouged pretty good in the next three years, and though I love Gopher Football I certainly don't feel I owe them anything and should pay an outrageous sum for a bowl trip. It's going to be expensive enough as it is.

Main point is no matter what buy your tickets through the U. If the charter trips dont't work for you fine. I am planning on booking my own trip but buying tix through the U.

I and my family did this itinerary to save money on a Disney vacation. It's a bit of driving, but it had the desired effect. Saved us a total of $900 on airfare, and that was several years ago.

That's through the Alumni Assoc. I wonder if that is a fundraiser for them so the prices are a little higher than they normally would be?

Huh? Btw - Virtually all universities sell official bowl travel packages through their Alumni Associations. This is not something unique to the U of M or them trying to gouge anybody. They are the official packages that they are given to sell by the various bowl host committees around the country. Would be no different with any other university or bowl. Bowl games are not done or organized or hosted for free.

My goodness, will some of the conspiracy rubes get off of the ridiculous "hey I think the U of M is trying to gouge us on everything" rants/theories. Some of it is getting to be pretty over the top. Smh

I am flying into Tampa, staying the night and driving up to Orlando. Any Tailgates on Gameday? I'll bring some brats.

I am flying into Tampa, staying the night and driving up to Orlando. Any Tailgates on Gameday? I'll bring some brats.

Ufff, Tickets from SoDak to Orlando is about 500. Looks I may support the sponsor and hang @ BWW.

Not able to handle the trip, but I will be in Phoenix with my daughter and her family, so son in law will join me for cheering on the Gophers. We will even have Wings!

Huh? Btw - Virtually all universities sell official bowl travel packages through their Alumni Associations. This is not something unique to the U of M or them trying to gouge anybody. They are the official packages that they are given to sell by the various bowl host committees around the country. Would be no different with any other university or bowl. My goodness, will some of the conspiracy rubes get off of the ridiculous "hey I think the U of M is trying to gouge us on everything" rants/theories. Some of it is getting to be pretty over the top. Smh

I have no idea how it all works. But the Alumni Association does fundraisers all the time. Example: http://www.minnesotaalumni.org/s/1118/content.aspx?sid=1118&gid=1&pgid=5360&crid=0&calpgid=297&calcid=1000

My thought was that they are maybe charging more on this package because a portion of your money goes to the Association. That is why it is expected to be more expensive.

As I said, I have no idea how this all works, so I could be way off base.

4 flights booked, Monday 12/29 to Monday 1/6 to Orlando!

these prices are not looking feasible for me to get there on a student's budget.... yuck

I know there is an official Minnesota tailgate planned for sure that is through the U of M Alumni Association packages. Through the Alumni Association packages there is also a Gameday package option available for those making their own arrangement/travel plans for Orlando.

From the website: "You can still join the University of Minnesota Alumni Association official tour for game day festivities. Meet fellow fans at the Hyatt Regency for your transfer to the Gopher Pregame Tailgate Event and Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl Game."

Here is a link to the all of the Alumni Association package options: http://www.groupminder.com/internet/resBasePak.cfm?cstId=100&evtId=20&evtName=2015%20Minnesota%20Buffalo%20Wild%20Wings%20Citrus%20Bowl&sessionId=GTTCSTINTER_100_2_17_3498389_88432693&CFID=3498389&CFTOKEN=88432693&browser=Google%20Chrome&redirect=1&js=1&res=1&pdf=7&ck=1

Would expect that you will see some other impromptu tailgates organized in addition to the Alumni Association one.

Anyone see Creative Charters yet? I emailed them but haven't gotten anything back yet.

So how do tickets work? How many can be bought by each season ticket account holder? The Gopher webpage still lacks some details.

Top Bottom