What season will the U pillage the basketball season-ticket holders?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
You can bet it's not stopping at football. Give it another year or two and we'll get pillaged here, too, and you can bet the home schedule won't get much better, if at all.

It'll happen. Probably in a year. It's a shame that it costs so much to attend sporting events nowadays. I remember when fans could afford to see their teams and I'm not even old.

Hopefully raising prices can help fund the new facilities

Hopefully raising prices can help fund the new facilities

This administration does not get it at all. Unless the U of M BB or FB team is winning big and at the top of the Twin Cities sports market, they cannot raise ticket prices or PCLs without losing large numbers of customers.

Costs and needs are irrelevant to the consumer, they will pay what they perceive the value to be and contributing via ticket prices is not the way to go. Those that can and desire to contribute will do so regardless.

This Football initiative will fall flat on its face and will be stopped or revised before March. Baring a quick roll back and stirring bowl win by Jerry Kill's team in a big bowl game, the PR damage has already been done in one 24 hour period.

You can bet it's not stopping at football. Give it another year or two and we'll get pillaged here, too, and you can bet the home schedule won't get much better, if at all.

How many years ago was the whole re-seating? I lost track. Feels like it was recent though.

Couple years ago. And they'll do it again shortly.

When the U announced the reseating for Williams Arena they specifically mentioned using Michigan State's preferred seating plan as their model. I know for a fact MSU redoes their Breslin seating every few years. At the time of the Williams Arena reseating the U said there (paraphrasing) "weren't any specific plans" for another reseating. The statement sounded intentionally open-ended. I took that to mean there'll be another significant hike in a few years.

If they crank this thing again I'll be unable to pay. Including the premium "donation," we already pay an annualized cost of $75 per month per ticket, which is steeper than many bills we pay including garbage and water. There will come a point where we can't do it any more.

I have football ticks, granted I won't be coughing up $1,000 but I am ok paying more if helps build a winning tradion at the UofM. I love college sports and hope it doesn' lose what makes it special.

Not sure if any of you were listening to espn1500 this morning. Judd and MacKay(might have been a replacement) were saying how they couldn't believe all the hoopala about the price increase of Gopher Football tickets.

Paraphrasing....."First of all it's a one time donation and these people complaining should realize it is a free market and the U has every right to charge what they want."

They sounded like total idiots and I sent them an email saying so.

Not sure if any of you were listening to espn1500 this morning. Judd and MacKay(might have been a replacement) were saying how they couldn't believe all the hoopala about the price increase of Gopher Football tickets.

Paraphrasing....."First of all it's a one time donation and these people complaining should realize it is a free market and the U has every right to charge what they want."

So says dolts like that in the media who don't have to pay to go to games, and can just sit in their press seat eating free food with free drinks. What the hell do they know or care about ticket price increases? Hacks.

So says dolts like that in the media who don't have to pay to go to games, and can just sit in their press seat eating free food with free drinks. What the hell do they know or care about ticket price increases? Hacks.

Just remembered. One of them also said....again paraphrasing..'the Gopher football program takes in quite a bit less than other Big Ten programs and Gopher fans have to start paying like other programs'.

Is this all in response to the new rules for paying scholarship players? If so, expect basketball to go up next year as well. I would expect to see similar price hikes at other schools soon.

I was about to say: Didn't we get pillaged the second Tubby losing season they decided to hike prices and in return we got the same "Tubby-cake" schedule. That season turned out to be his last season with our team.

Reading the headline, my first thought was, "Wait a minute - isn't the U making a bundle hosting the Vikings??!!"
Or has ineptitude depleted that income? I would think that that should have been a boon for the athletic dept!

It is a free market for the consumers too, and they have every right to stop buying whatever they want. While there has been talk about the morality of the pricing decision, most focus has been the wisdom of it. Most of us don't think the free market will support the new prices.

It is a free market for the consumers too, and they have every right to stop buying whatever they want. While there has been talk about the morality of the pricing decision, most focus has been the wisdom of it. Most of us don't think the free market will support the new prices.

Exactly. The bold part I also mentioned in my email to the show.

Just remembered. One of them also said....again paraphrasing..'the Gopher football program takes in quite a bit less than other Big Ten programs and Gopher fans have to start paying like other programs'.

I've been on vacation this week. I have not missed this show. I might need to start listening to KFAN just to try something else.

It'll happen. Probably in a year. It's a shame that it costs so much to attend sporting events nowadays. I remember when fans could afford to see their teams and I'm not even old.

Some of the best seats in the house are available on Stub Hub at $19.50 for tomorrow night's game against Western Carolina. I saw lesser seats for under $10. I wouldn't call that too bad.

Changes will come to basketball, but I think we are still a few years away from that. The recent Gopher Points scenario is not far enough in the rear view mirror to enable an increase in the required donation amounts so quickly. They waited until heading into year seven at TCF Bank Stadium when coming off a good 2013 before pulling the trigger on football (that the increase came right after an 8-4 (5-3) 2014 season was coincidental, these increases in donation fees were in the works likely back to the last offseason). When the increase to required donations occurs at Williams Arena, I hope it will coincide with an end to the seasons of zero nonconference teams from power leagues or getting just one such game against the usual half dozen from the ACC (Wake Forest, Clemson, Virgina, etc...). The way to fight unrest when the big hit comes is to offer something value added or that enhances the customer experience. Many will complain, but it's easier to write the check when you know you're getting more than you have been.

Seriously? Minnesota is about the only state with one division school. We either play with the big boys or we can be North Dakota State.

Seriously? Minnesota is about the only state with one division school. We either play with the big boys or we can be North Dakota State.

Well, we have nearly identical NCAA tournament achievements since 2009, so I'm sure people would like some assurance that we'll be better than NDSU before people go all in.

I guess I am the only one with this question: why isn't the athletic dept flush from renting TCF to the Vikings for 2 years?

I guess I am the only one with this question: why isn't the athletic dept flush from renting TCF to the Vikings for 2 years?

Vikings money is nothing compared to BTN money which is HUGE and continues to go up every year.

But, the U figures they can keep raising prices, increase seat donations and people will keep paying. It will be interesting to see how far they push it. They are betting that Gopher tickets are inelastic.

Go Gophers!!

And I thought bringing in Maryland and Rutgers was supposed to be a financial windfall for the Big Ten?

Vikings money is being used for 1-time capital improvements

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think they touch basketball/hockey until it comes time to upgrade the Barn/Mariucci.

Could be wrong but a renovation or new Williams is going to be the next big deal for the AD.

I don't think they touch basketball/hockey until it comes time to upgrade the Barn/Mariucci.

Could be wrong but a renovation or new Williams is going to be the next big deal for the AD.

This year they redid the roof at Williams. Didn't everyone see the tarp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom