$190 Million New Facilities

The word is that David Larson, a former Cargill executive who passed away Oct. 25, left $15 million to the Gophers football program with the money set to go toward the building of a football practice facility. That facility is something coach Jerry Kill believes is very necessary for the program to be competitive.

Larson, a University of Minnesota Regent since 2005, was very close to Kill. The word around campus is that Larson made other contributions to the athletic department during his lifetime as well.

From Sid's Column

I wonder where $190 Million will put our facilities. And does this have Tubby's famed practice facility included? I suppose I should read the rest of the thread, but anyone in the know answering would be helpful.

I wonder where $190 Million will put our facilities. And does this have Tubby's famed practice facility included? I suppose I should read the rest of the thread, but anyone in the know answering would be helpful.

This better have a practice facility! The basketball team desperately needs one...

$190 Million = everything, as it should.

With the price of stadiums and everything else always being so outrageous you never know if $190 million is just enough for the needed upgrades to the rowing team building...

Here's the deal, you sat through years of horrible Gopher football teams in which you would have sold your first born for a few close games and an occasional big win. Go ahead, put a price tag on that win over Nebraska last year? You only saw one loss at home this year, two last year. Now is the time to pay up for the bright future for Gopher football. We have to keep this coaching staff, we have to improve our facilities and we have to keep winning. I don't like the huge increases either, but if the Gophers keep winning, it truly is a small price to pay. I think they should reduce the cost of the tickets and continue to raise the donation price. Go Gophers!

+1, except I think ticket prices should also be increased and the donations increased, but not this much.

Yes, it includes all the desired football and basketball facilities. I believe those are in phase 1 of the plan so they will come first.

Yes, it includes all the desired football and basketball facilities. I believe those are in phase 1 of the plan so they will come first.

I'm still curious the order that things will be built. I was under the impression that the Center for Excellence would be built first. That is what is implied from the startrib article after the LOL donation.

"The design phase of the Center for Excellence will begin at the end of the month with no date set for construction. Teague said the extensive design process will require extra time and attention before breaking ground can be considered. Tuesday’s news release said the Center for Excellence is anticipated to open in the fall of 2016.....The Center for Excellence will serve all Gophers athletics and function as a hub of sorts providing the need for an academic center and training and dining table. Teague referred to it as one of the “four prongs” of the facilities initiative that just happened to drop first.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/273842531.html

Still wondering the timeline for the practice facilities.

So this article says The center for excellence will cost 21 mil. I think this is coming first because we don't have anything comparable right now and we definitely need it.

The practice facilities should not be far behind though.

We already have more than enough money for this center for excellence so I expect that fall 2016 estimate to hold firm.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/...-pledges-to-university-of-minnesota-athletics

With the price of stadiums and everything else always being so outrageous you never know if $190 million is just enough for the needed upgrades to the rowing team building...

We cannot fall behind in rowing.

So this article says The center for excellence will cost 21 mil. I think this is coming first because we don't have anything comparable right now and we definitely need it.

The practice facilities should not be far behind though.

We already have more than enough money for this center for excellence so I expect that fall 2016 estimate to hold firm.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/...-pledges-to-university-of-minnesota-athletics

That is phase 1, Football and Basketball are 2A and 2B and everything else is phase 3.

You almost don't think they exist except when we crack jokes about it. What a waste of money.

Rowing is a great Title IX sport. A lot of opportunities. Plus, most of the athletes are not on scholarship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again sorry if I struck a nerve but I haven't ever heard someone from the older generation ever get excited or puff out their chest at all about football. Just anecdotal experience, I'm not going to get in a pissing match about it.

I'm not one for self-loathing, and thankfully I don't think the younger generations are either.

Then you haven't read my posts. I'm 74, we went to the Rose Bowl my last two years at the U, I love the Gophers, I'm extremely excited about Gopher football, and I believe that we can once again return to the days when Minnesota football was one of the best programs in the country. But it takes money. I understand the pain of those who feel they are being priced out of the market, but I support any reasonable attempt to generate the level of funding needed to make us competitive again.

Their doing this the right way.
The sooner they get the Team meals out of the hallway, the better.

Their doing it the right way.
The sooner they get the Team meals out of the hallway, the better.

Well the proven way is to deliver boxes of cash to potential recruits, but I didn't see that in the press release...

When I used to walk by dinner time as a student, I would describe the dining room as a lobby.

When I was a student I once got to eat some of the leftovers in that lobby. One of the best meals I ever had on campus.

Evanston and surrounding Chicago suburbs are a wealthy area, and their football team has been to a few NYD bowls in the last decade. They must sell out every week and have a season ticket waiting list. Oh wait...

What is "their" football team? The state of Illinois has 7 division one football teams and we have one.

What is "their" football team? The state of Illinois has 7 division one football teams and we have one.

Please do not infuse fact based argument into this discussion about how the U hates its fans.

Top Bottom