$190 Million New Facilities

As the old saying goes: if you want to run with the big dogs, then you'd better be ready to piss in the tall grass! If you like what's going on in the program, then put some skin in the game. We haven't had a ticket increase since we moved into the new stadium. If they were going to do something like this, then what better time to do it than after the great season we just had. I'm behind it 100%

As the old saying goes: if you want to run with the big dogs, then you'd better be ready to piss in the tall grass! If you like what's going on in the program, then put some skin in the game. We haven't had a ticket increase since we moved into the new stadium. If they were going to do something like this, then what better time to do it than after the great season we just had. I'm behind it 100%

Yeah, other than this year.

I don't know, I think some of us just don't understand each other.

I'm have a middle class income and four kids, and my wife stays home with the kids. I live outstate, so I travel 200+ miles to attend games.

In spite of all that, I was hoping and planning to buy 2 season tickets in 2015. Now the cost is moving back out of reach. A lot of us aren't so well off that we can just say "Hey, that's what it takes to be competitive."

Maybe the U would rather have fewer fans paying more for tickets, rather than more fans in the stadium paying less for tickets. That's their choice to make.

I don't know, I think some of us just don't understand each other.

I'm have a middle class income and four kids, and my wife stays home with the kids. I live outstate, so I travel 200+ miles to attend games.

In spite of all that, I was hoping and planning to buy 2 season tickets in 2015. Now the cost is moving back out of reach. A lot of us aren't so well off that we can just say "Hey, that's what it takes to be competitive."

Maybe the U would rather have fewer fans paying more for tickets, rather than more fans in the stadium paying less for tickets. That's their choice to make.

Or maybe the U has drawn the conclusion that by 2017 they will have more fans in the stadium paying more for tickets.

Or maybe the U has drawn the conclusion that by 2017 they will have more fans in the stadium paying more for tickets.

No, scools, don't you read GH? The U 'marketing department' doesn't do any research or understand supply and demand. They just raise prices on a whim, and then sit around and laugh at all the poor fans for the few years!

No, scools, don't you read GH? The U 'marketing department' doesn't do any research or understand supply and demand. They just raise prices on a whim, and then sit around and laugh at all the poor fans for the few years!

Some of us are slow to trust the U's athletic department as they have led us to a conference championship drought of 47 years, during which time every football team in the Big Ten (obviously excepting those who joined within the last 5 years) but Indiana has won the Big Ten. And we had to share the one we got 47 years ago with Indiana. When they start showing an ability to consistently field quality football, basketball, and hockey programs, I'll give the judgment of the athletics department the benefit of the doubt. But it is a long history of dubious decisions by that department that have us where we are today.

Now that's sarcastic. The Marketing Department at the University has done a fine job. Isn't there a 40+ game sellout string at both Williams Arena and TCF Stadium?

Now that's sarcastic. The Marketing Department at the University has done a fine job. Isn't there a 40+ game sellout string at both Williams Arena and TCF Stadium?

I had that dream once

This is obviously an emotional subject for people but it points to the realities of big time college athletics today. If it makes more financial sense for you or your family to stop buying season tickets and just scalp every game by all means go for it. Financial considerations drive every part of our lives so do what you gotta do, just don't ask others to pat you on the back for being "pragmatic" while at the same time calling your self a fanatic.

Its pointless to brag or d*** measure about how much you care about Gopher sports in relation to how much you've given/spent on the AD in the past. I know what the past has been and frankly there isn't a whole lot there but heartbreak and frustration. And furthermore I know what we are going to have to do going forward to be competitive in the B1G and nationally.

I consider this the most successful Gopher football season I've seen in my life, period. And I couldn't be more excited about our AD, the coach we have, or the direction we are heading. I have been and will do everything I can to keep the momentum going because I don't want to lose this. Maybe it is because I'm younger, have spent significant time outside the state, and don't have the same jaded perspective about the program as some in the state or media (specifically looking at you fat pat). I have real pride in this University and I know it can be great, but its the "Minnesota mediocrity" mentality that permeates throughout the culture of the state (especially the older population, no disrespect intended) that is holding us back.

We gotta stop being modest and start beating our chests a little more, this state has plenty to be proud of, we just gotta start showing it more.

This is obviously an emotional subject for people but it points to the realities of big time college athletics today. If it makes more financial sense for you or your family to stop buying season tickets and just scalp every game by all means go for it. Financial considerations drive every part of our lives so do what you gotta do, just don't ask others to pat you on the back for being "pragmatic" while at the same time calling your self a fanatic.

Its pointless to brag or d*** measure about how much you care about Gopher sports in relation to how much you've given/spent on the AD in the past. I know what the past has been and frankly there isn't a whole lot there but heartbreak and frustration. And furthermore I know what we are going to have to do going forward to be competitive in the B1G and nationally.

I consider this the most successful Gopher football season I've seen in my life, period. And I couldn't be more excited about our AD, the coach we have, or the direction we are heading. I have been and will do everything I can to keep the momentum going because I don't want to lose this. Maybe it is because I'm younger, have spent significant time outside the state, and don't have the same jaded perspective about the program as some in the state or media (specifically looking at you fat pat). I have real pride in this University and I know it can be great, but its the "Minnesota mediocrity" mentality that permeates throughout the culture of the state (especially the older population, no disrespect intended) that is holding us back.

We gotta stop being modest and start beating our chests a little more, this state has plenty to be proud of, we just gotta start showing it more.

Last season the Gophers were 4-5 against BCS/Power 5 teams. That happened in 2005, 2004 and 2002. This season they are 5-4. They will end-up either at 6-4 or at 5-5. 6-4 will be the best season since 2003 when they went 6-3. If they lose, 5-5 is the very definition of "mediocre".

Luckily, Kill like Mason and unlike Brewster and Wacker, has done a good job at beating the Non-Conference teams that we write big checks to, to secure a few victories. Throwing those 3-4 victories in there really helps make the season record look good. Losing some of them can destroy a record and the fan base morale.

This season has been very good. Being the "most successful Gopher Football team you seen" in your life is very sad. Guess only people in their 60's or 70's can say differently. Leaves me out also. Though sorry that you weren't around to see that 2003 season. That felt great too. If they win the Bowl Game it will feel like a great year to any Gopher fan. The fact that you and many others can't be "more excited about our" A.D, Coach and direction is also another example of the "Minnesota Mentality".

We tend to completely forget about the past, no matter how recent, when things start to go well. Give us something to grasp onto and it's World Series Rings, Super Bowls and Big Ten Championships etc. one after another. Usually we don't end up getting them, but if you go back to right after they beat Oregon to go to 10-3 there would have been a lot of people who felt that way about the Coach at least.

Not sure if we will renew or not but, God Bless you West Coast. Hope you and your buddies sitting at those 50 yard line seats and cheering for victories from the TCU game right on through to that Badger game on 11/28.

Hope the check you write for those tickets helps pull them through and you're right about that future.

We were thinking they same thing from 1999 to 2003/2004. Oh and it "ain't bragging", just stating facts. Which a lot of the people who are screaming "just spend your money" certainly can't do.

I have real pride in this University and I know it can be great, but its the "Minnesota mediocrity" mentality that permeates throughout the culture of the state (especially the older population, no disrespect intended) that is holding us back.

There is nothing factual about that.

Did support the program and have for many years. Have had 4 - 8 Season Tickets for 21 years now. Donated to the school. Name is on TCF for donating money to build it. Understood and supported the Season Ticket cost increases that came with TCF also. Yesterday got an e-mail saying my ticket license is going up 300% over 3 years and don't think that's reasonable or even in-line with the majority of teams in the Big Ten?

And you?
The increases, over a short period of time, are absurd. They also reveal contempt for the middle class families and longtime ticket-holders who will not be able to afford the increases. The increases after 2015 should be dropped - and fast - unless they really enjoy killing their fan base and replacing it with corporate buys. Teague is not a Minnesotan and doesn't understand the sense of fairness that is part of the culture here.

This season has been very good. Being the "most successful Gopher Football team you seen" in your life is very sad. Guess only people in their 60's or 70's can say differently. Leaves me out also. Though sorry that you weren't around to see that 2003 season. That felt great too. If they win the Bowl Game it will feel like a great year to any Gopher fan. The fact that you and many others can't be "more excited about our" A.D, Coach and direction is also another example of the "Minnesota Mentality".

By record 2003 was better sure, but the way we lost that game and the feeling in my gut that Friday in the Metrodome won't ever be gone. That kind of collapse was sign and symptom of so many of the football program's problems for so long. Just look at attendance for the Michigan game and then Sparty next week, 62k -> 38k. While I think 38k was a little low from what I remember it I was disappointed at the turnout the next week to be sure. People felt differently then than they do now, we are building something better.

There is nothing factual about that.

Again sorry if I struck a nerve but I haven't ever heard someone from the older generation ever get excited or puff out their chest at all about football. Just anecdotal experience, I'm not going to get in a pissing match about it.

I'm not one for self-loathing, and thankfully I don't think the younger generations are either.

By record 2003 was better sure, but the way we lost that game and the feeling in my gut that Friday in the Metrodome won't ever be gone. That kind of collapse was sign and symptom of so many of the football program's problems for so long. Just look at attendance for the Michigan game and then Sparty next week, 62k -> 38k. While I think 38k was a little low from what I remember it I was disappointed at the turnout the next week to be sure. People felt differently then than they do now, we are building something better.

Yeah, was at both games and it was awful. Felt pretty good after winning that Oregon game though. Much better than the last 7-8 Bowl games. certainly better than losing either of those Texas Tech games and watching them piss away that Syracuse game too. That 38,000 might not be far off be the attendance for some games next year too. How many tickets are you gonna have for next year?

Oh one other note. Until we start filling those 10,000 Student Ticket Seats, lets hold off a little on praising how proud that "younger generation" is about Gopher Football. Just a thought.

Yeah, was at both games and it was awful. Felt pretty good after winning that Oregon game though. Much better than the last 7-8 Bowl games. certainly better than losing either of those Texas Tech games and watching them piss away that Syracuse game too. That 38,000 might not be far off be the attendance for some games next year too. How many tickets are you gonna have for next year?

Like I said in my first post, I think its pointless to get into this kind of back and forth, it makes things too personal.

I live in the Bay, but I have a decent amount of business back home, hopefully I'll be able to make ~3-4 games. Otherwise its a lot of waking up early for 9am kicks on BTN/ESPN or watching basketball games at work on my laptop.

Like I said in my first post, I think its pointless to get into this kind of back and forth, it makes things too personal.

I live in the Bay, but I have a decent amount of business back home, hopefully I'll be able to make ~3-4 games. Otherwise its a lot of waking up early for 9am kicks on BTN/ESPN or watching basketball games at work on my laptop.

Understood and understandable, but please don't take it wrong when people who are footing the bill for a full season get a little irritated by people who not only mock the 150-300% increases, but seem to think that it's absolutely necessary for us to pony up so the team you follow gets better.

Maybe everybody who feels that way should just go ahead and buy a license fee ticket or two and donate them for the games you can't get to. Seem like a good idea.

A "make your generation proud" kind of thing. ;)

Again sorry if I struck a nerve but I haven't ever heard someone from the older generation ever get excited or puff out their chest at all about football. Just anecdotal experience, I'm not going to get in a pissing match about it.

I'm not one for self-loathing, and thankfully I don't think the younger generations are either.

No nerve struck as I'm not that old. Putting some blame for the teams failures on the fans, or certain generations, in any way, is just not correct.

Everything you say about 2003 is true. The way we lost was like a kick to the nuts just like this ticket price thing is a kick to the nuts. Very different circumstances but still a kick to the nuts.

No nerve struck as I'm not that old. Putting some blame for the teams failures on the fans, or certain generations, in any way, is just not correct.

Your kidding right...so many walk around patting themselves on the back for TCF Stadium, but even with that fundraising success, the U is last or next to last in the B1G for charitable giving by its fans over the past 20-30 years. Even if we sold out TCF every game with season tickets under the new forced seat donations, and the BB and Hockey we would still have lower donation levels than the top B1G teams....by a wide margin.

I am not calling anyone out individually or as a group, but please don't pretend that the U's athletic department isn't playing against a stacked deck in large part because of poor fan support. Add in the lack of support by the U and the State legislature and it shouldn't be a surprise that we can't compete for titles in the two sports that matter most from a revenue and national recognition stand point.

True. We got a boatload of Gopher "Fans" who bitch and moan, never open their wallet and tell the people that do to shut-up about it.

I think they are taking a big risk. They very well may turn out to look like geniuses but ultimately it will be up to Jerry and the players. If the program gets better each year, then this may work very well.

But I think many people are just concerned that this could backfire big time. What happens if we go 6-6 the next two years? I hope it doesn't happen and don't think it will but we all know we haven't won much of anything in a very long time.

I'm starting to wonder if their thinking is they can replace those in the high price seating with new people and then hope many of these people who can't afford the high prices will move to other places they can more afford. The end result would be more overall.

Your kidding right...so many walk around patting themselves on the back for TCF Stadium, but even with that fundraising success, the U is last or next to last in the B1G for charitable giving by its fans over the past 20-30 years. Even if we sold out TCF every game with season tickets under the new forced seat donations, and the BB and Hockey we would still have lower donation levels than the top B1G teams....by a wide margin.

I am not calling anyone out individually or as a group, but please don't pretend that the U's athletic department isn't playing against a stacked deck in large part because of poor fan support. Add in the lack of support by the U and the State legislature and it shouldn't be a surprise that we can't compete for titles in the two sports that matter most from a revenue and national recognition stand point.

Read Westcoast guy's post. It was more about generational pride and self loathing. Nothing about fundraising or charitable giving.

Interesting thread. I would never give up my seats. From most of the comments from people you would think we live in Appalachia. I thought this was a wealthy metro area. Vikings tickets in the new stadium are substantially more and there is a waiting list. People have no problem paying those prices. I guess we can conclude that the lower bowl will be empty and the upper deck above the students will finally be full.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From most of the comments from people you would think we live in Appalachia. I thought this was a wealthy metro area. Vikings tickets in the new stadium are substantially more and there is a waiting list. People have no problem paying those prices. Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evanston and surrounding Chicago suburbs are a wealthy area, and their football team has been to a few NYD bowls in the last decade. They must sell out every week and have a season ticket waiting list. Oh wait...

A different Perspective

Here's the deal, you sat through years of horrible Gopher football teams in which you would have sold your first born for a few close games and an occasional big win. Go ahead, put a price tag on that win over Nebraska last year? You only saw one loss at home this year, two last year. Now is the time to pay up for the bright future for Gopher football. We have to keep this coaching staff, we have to improve our facilities and we have to keep winning. I dont like the huge increases either, but if the Gophers keep winning, it truly is a small price to pay. I think they should reduce the cost of the tickets and continue to raise the donation price. Go Gophers!

Does anyone know how long our season ticket waiting list is?

Top Bottom