Gopher Season Ticket Costs Going Way UP?

Might want to check with Northwestern on who they used as a vendor for those nice full-section seat covers to reduce stadium seating capacity. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

I always thought the Gophers would end up being something good for families to do together. This is sad. We will continue to have empty seats all over the place.

If there are empty seats, there will be deals to be had.

Plenty of good seats available in Zone 6 that will not increase in price whatsoever. If your seats are increasing in price by too much simply downgrade your seats.

People want the best of both worlds: new facilities and cheap tickets. Something had to give.
This. So many of the same people seem to talk out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to this subject. Seems people want all the necessary bells and whistles for our athletics programs to be and remain highly successful nationally, but want absolutely nothing to do with helping pay for it, even in the least. Can't have one without the other folks. You can't. This isn't that hard to figure out. As he correctly noted, there has not been an increase in seating/donation pricing since the stadium opened in 2009. This was going to be on the docket eventually. Imo, should not be surprised or shocked.

Go Gophers!
Ski-U-Mah!

Boy, sure glad they refunded those 40 students who had to purchase BOTH football and basketball season tickets.

I have some questions:

They need all of this money - wasn't bringing Rutgers and Maryland and their television markets supposedly going to bring in this huge financial windfall for the entire Big Ten?

Wasn't our athletic Department well into the black this year?

What are we getting in return here?

I'm okay with paying an increase, but these amounts are beyond obnoxious.

This. So many of the same people seem to talk out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to this subject. Seems people want all the necessary bells and whistles for our athletics programs to be and remain highly successful nationally, but want absolutely nothing to do with helping pay for it, even in the least. Can't have one without the other folks. You can't. This isn't that hard to figure out. As he correctly noted, there has not been an increase in seating/donation pricing since the stadium opened in 2009. This was going to be on the docket eventually. Imo, should not be surprised or shocked.

Go Gophers!
Ski-U-Mah!
There is a difference between shocked and disappointed

A 100% increase in a 3 year span is asinine.

What's next, coming out and stating they're expanding to the maximum capacity of 80,000 seats by 2017 to ensure its extra empty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!
Ski-U-Mah!

Some of us can't afford this when we are still paying back the six figures on loans we took out to pay for the tuition the U just got done gouging us for.

yeah - I was happy to bring friends as guests and not ever feel compelled to ask anything for the ticket.. I was happy to pay for the tix and when they asked I was happy to tell them that my only endeaveor was assure the tix got used - I bought my tix back in 1993 when they were at the dome - I think a ticket back then was under $200 for the season (best enterainment value in town back them IMO)... but my quick math now shows these tix being $100 per by 2017...that pushes me through the pain barrier...I need to re-think this now

Nobody in my group wants to pay additional donation dollars. I'm the only one that wants to hang on but I cannot float 3 additional seats at $1,100 a year. I still may renew my one seat but I'm not going to be buying anyone else's. My group all married with kids except me, so I am SOL. Full season tickets since 1996 and had student seats in the lean years of 1992, 1993, and 1994, feels like the U just took a giant crap in everything I have invested since then. There has been a whole lot more bad than good during these years and zero Rose bowls or Big 10 championships. I get that they need more resources but there will be a lot of season ticket drops because of this scholarship seating change. The near end zone seats even if charibacks are not worth the donation levels they are asking and certainly not upper deck or bench seats. They went for a money grab with parking and never got people to pay and now they expect people will just pony up and be able to afford it. For thost that can Itemize and write off the donation I guess this matters but for most of us this is just a big Tax that many of us cannot pay.
I guess I can scratch bowl vacation off the list this year, sorry Norwood you screw me, I'm not helping you this feels very personal like a loss.

Some of us can't afford this when we are still paying back the six figures on loans we took out to pay for the tuition the U just got done gouging us for.

If you can't afford the expensive increases buy tickets in Zone 6 which are not increasing in price whatsoever...

Go Gophers!
Ski-U-Mah!

Am I naive or just not understanding something? The giant leaps are in the scholarship donations. All their material explaining the increase cites the cost to educate student-athletes, not how much facilities are going to cost. If the arugment is the need for new facilities, why isn't the increase in the ticket price, not the scholarship fund? And if the increase is in the scholarship fund, aren't they required by law to spend those funds on scholarships, not facilities?

The result of this is going to be fewer season ticket holders. I can't imagine the marketing department couldn't figure that out.

Our $330 dollar seats in 114 will be going up to $830 in three years.
We are willing to pay more every year for the good of the program, but this is outrages!!!!

Go Gophers!
Ski-U-Mah!

There is a big difference between a little increase and a huge increase. This is a huge increase.

It's common sense to wait until there is a demand before doing this. This is just way too premature. They better hope Kill is really going to turn this thing around, like competing for the west championship every year. If not, the stadium will be half empty by 2017.

If you can't afford the expensive increases buy tickets in Zone 6 which are not increasing in price whatsoever...

Oh, wait. Answered a guy who's either an idiot or a troll.

My mistake.

It seems to me the season ticket base that can be counted on as hard core fans hit a flat line of sorts of about 35,000 during the dome years. It seems that number of season ticket buyers can be maintained no matter how bad the team is or how hopeless the future appears. There are more potential season ticket buyers out there but they are the type that will buy in only when there is a new stadium to see or the team sounds like it is going to be really good. They come and go like the wind. This DRAMATIC ticket increase appears to hammer directly at that 35,000 person core. The bet is that the team will be good enough to replace the hard core fans with corporate and fair weather fans in the coming years.

It sure does seem like a nasty thing to do to that core fan group... the group that paid the way win or lose. I just keep thinking about all those scalping, stubhub, and $10 promotional tickets.

What does a state of the art plasma TV going for these days? Been nice knowing ya!

It seems to me the season ticket base that can be counted on as hard core fans hit a flat line of sorts of about 35,000 during the dome years. It seems that number of season ticket buyers can be maintained no matter how bad the team is or how hopeless the future appears. There are more potential season ticket buyers out there but they are the type that will buy in only when there is a new stadium to see or the team sounds like it is going to be really good. They come and go like the wind. This DRAMATIC ticket increase appears to hammer directly at that 35,000 person core. The bet is that the team will be good enough to replace the hard core fans with corporate and fair weather fans in the coming years.

It sure does seem like a nasty thing to do to that core fan group... the group that paid the way win or lose. I just keep thinking about all those scalping, stubhub, and $10 promotional tickets.

Stubhub and scalper prices will increase as well because scalpers are either season ticket holders or buy from season ticket holders, who will likely demand more $$$.

Go Gophers!
Ski-U-Mah!

You're right, but missed all your posts telling us that this sized increase was coming. The idiots over there ignored the problem for years and think getting it all at once is the way to go.

Doubt that. They've run the numbers and included their projected lost season ticket holders.
You don't make a decision like this on a whim.

Nope. They're trying to dampen all the complaints about the lack of bodies in the Upper Deck of the Student Section by spreading the look throughout the stadium..

I love going to games and have been for 14 years, but my tickets going from $900 to $1400 in three years time is not worth it. That's $200 a game after parking. No way are Illinois, Purdue, PodunkU 1 and 2 and some random power 5 team worth it. CERTAINLY not worth it the years that we play @NE and @WI. And changing seats to get cheaper tickets because the U wanted to shoot tickets through the roof is just dumb. I paid a lot of money for really bad football and the U is just taking advantage of all of us that did that.

gradual increases are fine but this is just pricing fans out of their seats and out of the stadium because some nerd crunched numbers and no one actually thought about the impact to the customers

So, with my 6 tickets in 103, my "ADDITIONAL COST" will look like this:

2015: $450 - (I can live with)
2016: $900 - (Don't like it, will pay)
2017: $1500 - (way too much)

Wow, just F'ing wow. Consider the fact I also drive 3 +hours from west central MN for EVERY HOME GAME. So, my ticket prices will almost double in three years! Absolutely crazy. They must be having problems getting funds for facilities because this is crazy. I actually feel sick.

EDIT: Additions on my feelings for each increase/

This season ticket price increase is SIGNIFICANT.

Quick math in my head comes up with the following figures for our 4 seats in section 135:

Dome and first couple years at TCF: $275 x 4 = $1100
Last season: $330 x 4 = $1320
2015: $405 x 4 = $1620
2016: $480 x 4 = $1920
2017: $580 x 4 = $2320

It has been "great" supporting the Brewster years and crappy football while watching the athletic department run "deals" on cheap tickets and promotions that devalue the season tickets. I'm guessing with this news, the stadium will have more available seats than ever, despite the team's improvement. Perhaps it will make sense to dump all four and pick up scalped $20 seats or even face value seats from here on out. This is quite a gut punch.

I'm going to miss the people I sit with in 135. Down where I sit there are a lot of younger couples, and I don't know how many of them are going to still be there by 2017.

"I love this f*cking university, and this University loves f*cking me!"

the home schedule next year is TCU (can't go because of high school football obligations on the Thursday night)
Kent state (snooze)
Ohio (snooze...although they beat us last time we played)
Nebraska
Michigan
Illinois (snooze)
Wisconsin

So buy a set number of seats for 7 games, only 6 of which I can attend, only 3 of which are quality opponents.
Or
Buy single game tickets for the three games I most care about for way less...and adjust the quantity depending on the game.

Doubt that. They've run the numbers and included their projected lost season ticket holders.
You don't make a decision like this on a whim.

You're right. The U has never made a bad decision. Just ask the former season ticket holders who bailed in the 80's in what was a very modest increase compared to this heist.

If you don't think this is a bad idea, just look at this thread. This forum is where the most loyal and passionate Gopher fans come to congregate and talk about their favorite team, good or bad, this is where the die hards dwell. We've got oldsters, middle-aged grumpypants and current students who the world hasn't beaten down yet. The population here runs the gambit. The percentage to the current season ticket base (40k? Less?) that is shocked and seriously considering dropping tickets is going to be pretty significant. Sure, some will stick around no matter what the cost, but I think that more will choose to let their seats go than the administration realized. They didn't make this decision on a whim, but were any season ticket holders surveyed about the repercussions of what amounts to a pretty significant increase? I know we weren't.

Stubhub and scalper prices will increase as well because scalpers are either season ticket holders or buy from season ticket holders, who will likely demand more $$$.

No it won't. Fans will pay what fans will pay. Look on StubHub for Vikes tickets for this weekend. Hundreds and hundreds for less than $10.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom