STrib: Big Ten East-West split made sense; 10 games do, too

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

The Big Ten will move from an eight-game conference schedule to nine games in 2016, and to that I say, how about 10? It’s a sprawling 14-team conference now that stretches 1,300 miles west to east from Nebraska to Rutgers.

Ten conference games would bridge the gaps more quickly. Gophers fans, for example, will feel very little connection to Rutgers and Maryland until those newcomers finally hit their football schedule in 2016. Ten conference games would balance the home/road equation that will be a sore spot with the nine-game schedule.

Ten conference games could also help remove the likes of Eastern Illinois and Florida Atlantic from future Big Ten schedules. A stronger conference-wide strength of schedule would help come College Football Playoff selection time.

The Big Ten is still struggling with its national perception. Its 6-11 record this year against teams from other Power Five conferences and Notre Dame didn’t help. But within its own walls, the conference has a good thing going. And it should only get better with Big Ten Network beaming its content into 19 of the nation’s 20 biggest media markets. That can’t hurt recruiting.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/284112501.html

Go Gophers!!

Personally I would love a 10 game conference schedule but don't see it happening anytime soon. The only way you could really pull that off would be to eliminate all marque non-conf games because no one would want a tough non-conf game if they were then going to be playing 10 games in conference.

It would be great if it meant giving up a couple of those meaningless September Cupcake games.

Play a cup cake week #1 then invite a Sec team to Minnesota in November so they don't have to play an FCS team. Everyone is happy.

Play a cup cake week #1 then invite a Sec team to Minnesota in November so they don't have to play an FCS team. Everyone is happy.

10 game conference schedule would be tough enough without tossing an SEC team into November.

Sadly we probably couldn't pay them enough to come up here in the cold that time of the year...They might actually struggle and look bad

As much as I like the conference games, 10 is too much. It's hard enough as it is figuring out who the top teams in the country are. Imagine if each conference played 10 games and no one ever played other power 5 conference teams in the non conference schedule.

Nine is perfect. Then play two cupcakes and one power 5 team. In the year you play 5 conference road games, play a power 5 home game. Vice versa when you play 5 conference home games.

I wish it was a rule that all power 5 teams had to play at least one power 5 team in the nonconference.

Sadly we probably couldn't pay them enough to come up here in the cold that time of the year...They might actually struggle and look bad

Offer a home and home. If they reject it, they looked like the wimps.

East:
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan Sate
Indiana
Purdue

West:
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Illinois
Kansas
Oklahoma

8 team playoff with five conference champs and three at-large spots. First two rounds at home site. Championship at the Rose Bowl.

EDIT: Ideally add kick out Rutgers and Maryland, add Notre Dame and Kansas State, and shuffle Northwestern to the east. But that's unrealistic lol.

My ideal format would be a 12-game Big Ten schedule, so I'd take 10 in a heartbeat. I'm not as big on the non-conference games as most others are. I enjoyed watching every Big Ten game this year more than I did the TCU game.

Any idea why?

My ideal format would be a 12-game Big Ten schedule, so I'd take 10 in a heartbeat. I'm not as big on the non-conference games as most others are. I enjoyed watching every Big Ten game this year more than I did the TCU game.

Idiotic and suicidal.

Do you knuckleheads realize that a longer schedule hurts us?

I'm in favor of fewer games. Why? Because it helps us.

Do I even have to explain?

Idiotic and suicidal.

Do you knuckleheads realize that a longer schedule hurts us?

I'm in favor of fewer games. Why? Because it helps us.

Do I even have to explain?
Well sure, if you're of the belief that our program will never really turn the corner and be dependent upon random "magic" seasons like this one, then it would hurt us. But what if we're actually good enough at some point to compete consistently with the top teams in the Big Ten? It's a hell of a lot more fun watching us beat our traditional opponents than Eastern Illinois.

And going undefeated is no longer going to be a requirement to make noise in the postseason. An 8-team playoff is coming, and when it does, the champion of the Big Ten will be in the playoff automatically no matter how many games they may play (and lose) in conference.

I think the big 5 will agree to some conference balancing at some point. That will likely mean they don't play anyone outside the big 5 anymore.

Top Bottom